Wildsmith 

Ex Man City   Davies Cashin Fozzie 

Bird Thompson 

NML  Hourihane Knight 

McGoldrick 

Subs  Foulkes Roberts Stearman Chester Glover Sibley Barkhuisen Collins 

Bold hopeful new additions 

Edited by Magicman

The more I read this thread firstly god it's good to talk about football, but secondly how similar all the formations are discussed. When you look at the old 442 433 etc they were relatively rigid but with good footballers with a good footballing brain and experience either can be easily tweaked to be any of the other formations mentioned, and with the shrewd experienced players were collecting and the way we played Saturday I think we can adapt perfectly to suit any so far mentioned. I'm in danger of getting worryingly exited about dcfc for once.

6 minutes ago, ramit said:

It does however as i wrote earlier require certain types of players all through the squad and we probably don't have that right now, so likely it is not an option for us at this time.

That's the issue though - completely changing the squad to fit a different style is (at least in part) what goes us into the financial mess in the first place - managers repeatedly coming in with radically different styles to the previous guy, and wanting a load of new players.  And it's not just the first team either, the academy is all set up to produce technical, ball-playing footballers too.  

I'm not saying we *have* to play possession football, but if you're going to have a successful academy, you have to have some sort of consistent idea as to how the first team will play.  It takes years to develop players (including recruiting the right youngsters in the first place), so there's no point developing a squad of small ball-players, if you've changed to a manager that wants big, strong, quick guys instead, and those players never get used.  And as it stands, the first team (what remains of it anyway) and the academy sides are all full of technical, ball-players, so we should be exploiting that.

What possibly might be being overlooked is Rosenior considering one of Sibley or Knight as a winger rather than a midfielder if it's easier to sign quality CM/CDM free agent options (e.g. Dale Stephens)

Both can do a job out there and will probably have more joy in League One trying to take players on. 

If you look at our squad, we're stacked with quality midfielders and I can't imagine Hourihane or Bird being left out of many starting line-ups this season. I hope we'll be playing with three in midfield.

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

What possibly might be being overlooked is Rosenior considering one of Sibley or Knight as a winger rather than a midfielder if it's easier to sign quality CM/CDM free agent options (e.g. Dale Stephens)

Both can do a job out there and will probably have more joy in League One trying to take players on. 

If you look at our squad, we're stacked with quality midfielders and I can't imagine Hourihane or Bird being left out of many starting line-ups this season. I hope we'll be playing with three in midfield.

Neither of them are very good there though and it seriously hampers the goal threat we're lacking.  Midfield please. 

I do enjoy going through everyone’s opinion on these formation/tactic threads…isn’t it great to be talking about football again

4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 5-3-2, wing backs, defensive central midfielders, dual strikers, floating number 10s, false number 9s press, possession, short ball, long ball, league 1 hoofball and so on and so on.

Anyway, personally I usually follow this blokes opinion…when it comes to football and winning things he was usually spot on.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

Brian Howard Clough 1935-2004

42 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Ex Man City   Davies Cashin Fozzie 

Bird Thompson 

NML  Hourihane Knight 

McGoldrick 

Subs  Foulkes Roberts Stearman Chester Glover Sibley Barkhuisen Collins 

Bold hopeful new additions 

Who's backup RB.
Need a better GK than Foulkes
Who're the sub CMs?

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Who's backup RB.
Need a better GK than Foulkes
Who're the sub CMs?

Beilik when he is fi as CM 

Stearman can move to RB or Knight .

Keeper I accept we should secure another but might have to cope with Foulkes for a while.

I’m expecting a lot of dif answers but in our history which formation has been most successful for us ? 

My rams history is shocking but didn’t clough use a fluid 4-4-2 that could change into a 4-2-3-1 ? I could be dead wrong tho ??

16 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

I’m expecting a lot of dif answers but in our history which formation has been most successful for us ? 

My rams history is shocking but didn’t clough use a fluid 4-4-2 that could change into a 4-2-3-1 ? I could be dead wrong tho ??

Fluid is one word for it.?

Sure I saw something like this down the old Sinfin Lane training ground. ?

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

any 2 from Bird, Bielik, Knight, thompson, Hourihane,  is plenty of cover

Except at least one of those will be used further upfield, often 2 of them (one on the wing)

It's currently 8 for 5 positions: Bielik, Bird, Knight, Hourihane, Tommo, Sibley, Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing.

1 of those is a major injury risk and the only two wingers we have only made a combined 1937 minutes in all competitions last season (equivalent to 21.5 games). Not getting 2 more senior players across those 5 positions will be a very big risk.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Except at least one of those will be used further upfield, often 2 of them (one on the wing)

It's currently 8 for 5 positions: Bielik, Bird, Knight, Hourihane, Tommo, Sibley, Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing.

1 of those is a major injury risk and the only two wingers we have only made a combined 1937 minutes in all competitions last season (equivalent to 21.5 games). Not getting 2 more senior players across those 5 positions will be a very big risk.

yep agreed. the point i was trying to make was we don't need to sign anymore CM's, we need to sign attacking players now

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

yep agreed. the point i was trying to make was we don't need to sign anymore CM's, we need to sign attacking players now

Magicman had only Bielik as backup for Bird and Tommo (after initially lesving Bielik out completely). Then Barkhuizen, Sibley and Glover as backup for Mendez-Laing, Hourihane and Knight in the advanced positions.

Point being, he left his squad lacking in important depth.

On 11/07/2022 at 13:59, Old Spalding Ram said:

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

Brian Howard Clough 1935-2004

Well if you’re as brilliant as he was at recruiting and at motivating, there’s probably some truth in it. (Or was it Taylor’s recruiting ?) 

Edited by kevinhectoring

First 11
GK
RB   Chester   Cashin   Forsyth
          Bielik
Bird               
Barkhuizen   Hourihane   Knight
Collins

Second 11
Wildsmith
Oduroh   Stearman   Davies   Roberts
          McDonald