The enigma that is Mike Ashley

Curtains

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well Q went to the EFL with their 'cross-class cram' for the PB and got thrown out. Percy reckons it was MA with a bid for the Club and stadium, plus funds for Rooney. It was pre-transfer window and we were looking capable of staying in the Championship.

Who else was credible?

Percy said that Ashley had done a deal with Mel Morris for the club & stadium with funds for Rooney in December. That's not the same as saying he was going to be named the PB by Quantuma.

He seems to have forgotten that the club wasn't Mel Morris' to sell in December! No wonder the deal collapsed, it was an impossibility! Worthless.

All that indicated was that Mike Ashley has been playing silly beggars, trying to sort out a 'deal' with Mel Morris outside of the formal bidding process.

Proper snake.

The further away Mike Ashley is from DCFC the better.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

41 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

His interest in us was the "distressed creditors" juices flowing in him.

I don't think he's remotely bothered about not buying us unless it was at the last gasp and who cares about the consequences.

Against a background of fans, community, team, coaching, local media and club staff doing everything to save the club, Ashley cynically waiting for all that to fail makes me sick.

For a history analogy, as the Red Army advanced through Poland in 1944, the population of Warsaw rose up against the Nazis, believing liberation was imminent. Stalin ordered his army to stop and wait whilst the rising in Warsaw was put down. Then moved his troops in. One of the second world war's most cynical acts. 

I know it's business. I know it's not personal. But I'd have really struggled to get behind him.

Hopefully cK can complete the deal and we can move on.

Exactly this. I couldn't stand it when our fans were clamouring for him over Appleby a few weeks back. You take what you can get but I'd never sing his name (okay, maybe that's a lie if we were successful).

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Hard to compare considering the Premier League gold mine 

That's the point, that is what Ashley wants - twice he got Newcastle promoted. He could have 'left' them in the Championship.

Anyway it looks like it'll be Kirchner.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Exactly this. I couldn't stand it when our fans were clamouring for him over Appleby a few weeks back. You take what you can get but I'd never sing his name.

Why do you feel the need to sing the owners name? 

46 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

His interest in us was the "distressed creditors" juices flowing in him.

I don't think he's remotely bothered about not buying us unless it was at the last gasp and who cares about the consequences.

Against a background of fans, community, team, coaching, local media and club staff doing everything to save the club, Ashley cynically waiting for all that to fail makes me sick.

For a history analogy, as the Red Army advanced through Poland in 1944, the population of Warsaw rose up against the Nazis, believing liberation was imminent. Stalin ordered his army to stop and wait whilst the rising in Warsaw was put down. Then moved his troops in. One of the second world war's most cynical acts. 

I know it's business. I know it's not personal. But I'd have really struggled to get behind him.

Hopefully cK can complete the deal and we can move on.

Whereas CK is going to save them all? Oh as long as he doesn't have to pay Morris what he wants?

Seriously, they are both businessmen looking for a deal. Love the comparison of Ashley to the Red Army though. Very silly. How come Newcastle stayed in the Prem and weren't buried in the lower leagues?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's the point, that is what Ashley wants - twice he got Newcastle promoted. He could have 'left' them in the Championship.

I thought at one time Ashley might have been ok for Derby and I was told  he was going to get  us but he messed us and Quantuma about in the end. .

I am very Happy with CK .

Just to be even handed Ashley had plaudits in 2012 at Newcastle .

https://backpagefootball.com/mike-ashley-from-villain-to-hero/50542/

“Few would have believed back in the tumultuous days of December 2010 that Alan Pardew would still be incumbent in the St James’ Park hot-seat some two years later.

Since Mike Ashley took the reins in the summer of 2007, Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer and Chris Hughton have all come and gone – none bar Hughton lasting any more than a few months or leaving with their reputation enhanced or their credibility intact. They dined with cannibals and got eaten as Ashley’s ruthless regime chewed them up and spat them out. Sympathy was limited and many onlookers basked in the schadenfreude and were only too happy to witness Newcastle’s sad decline.”

Edited by Curtains
Added beginning of article

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

And he could just 'leave' Derby as a lower table Championship club with a few dips into League One along the way.

It is possible to run a Championship club making a small profit with enough cutbacks elsewhere (or rather it will be possible, post-pandemic and with not much cash being thrown around below the PL and parachute payment clubs); just because so may have made a hash of their finances chasing the PL dream doesn't that has to be the way of things.

Cut the ambition back to being a middling Championship club, especially starting from scratch lower down the leagues with no residual high wages to pay, and don't have to lose money.

Even if he made a small loss on Derby it'd be swallowed up by his other businesses.

We are not Newcastle, there is no expectation for us to be a Premier League team.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Er .. it ain’t over yet.  Ashley could bid for the stadium . Then what ? 

He'll be bidding so low, we don't need to worry about him.

He could then buy a stadium for X Million, but the administrators refuse to sell him the club and he's just spent 10-20m on a White Elephant.

He isn't stupid with money.

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whereas CK is going to save them all? Oh as long as he doesn't have to pay Morris what he wants?

Seriously, they are both businessmen looking for a deal. Love the comparison of Ashley to the Red Army though. Very silly. How come Newcastle stayed in the Prem and weren't buried in the lower leagues?

It's not a literal analogy. Just the acquisition tactics.

My beef with Ashley is how he goes about his business acquisitions not how he runs them after. Sure, it's business. But there's ways of doing business and there's ways of doing business. I suspect (I do not know) a far higher level of bad faith from the MA camp than the CK one.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

CK seems happy to take a punt by paying more than the club seems to be worth. I thank him for that, but I'm not sure I understand why he's doing it.....

Because the rewards for success could be amazing. With good planning and surrounding himself with the right people, and allowing those people to do their job, we could reach our potential and he could have an asset worth multiples of his investment. Yes, for every Bournemouth, Brentford and Southampton, there's a Pompey, QPR and Reading.... but the latter have been severely mismanaged by people thinking they could reinvent the wheel, and we've just been through this ourselves with a egotistical owner thinking he's got a special brain for business.

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Said he was interested in buying Derby County but allegedly never came forward with a decent offer for the club .

Thank goodness for Chris Kirchner 

I'm interested in buying one of the houses on millionaires row at the end of my village but until they drop the asking price by several hundred thousand then I won't be progressing my interest.

Not sure what makes this statement invalid? Doesn't mean that I'm still not interested though, ditto Ashley with us.