Joe McClaren leaves Head of Recruitment role

Stuniverse

11 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Mels son was head of emerging talent for a few years and then head of technical scouting.

Think the whole department needs rebuilding from the ground up to be honest. Nothing against either Joe or Harry and i'm sure they must be competent at their jobs, but i'd rather not have the recruitment team packed with family members of the old regime.

When you have a head of "Technical Scouting", you know there are a few jobs for the boys. All these bull$hit titles where everyone is either a "head" a "manager" or a "senior" something or other is just pure bullcrap.

2 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

According to the Athletic, apparently, Joe McClaren has left his Head of Recruitment role at DCFC

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-county-figure-makes-pride-park-exit/

Don't think this is new news. 

Rooney previously said ALL the recruitment team were made redundant by Quantuma. Presumably in the redundevcies that happened before Christmas.

37 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Were Byrne, Marshall, CKR, Stearman, Allsop, Lawrence, Shinnie, even Rooney not also under his recruitment jurisdiction?

Maybe even youth recruitment with a view to first team such as Plange and Ebiowei?

The key questions would be:

• which first team signings was he responsible for?
  • which players did he recommend but managers overlooked?

The follow up question to both of those would be, why didn't the manager take his advice?

33 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

When you have a head of "Technical Scouting", you know there are a few jobs for the boys. All these bull$hit titles where everyone is either a "head" a "manager" or a "senior" something or other is just pure bullcrap.

I love it when the username and a post are in harmony.

37 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I love it when the username and a post are in harmony.

Has anyone else not noticed this in all walks of life though?

All fancy titles, a room full of chiefs and no Indians to do the graft. Do people like a fancy job title in lieu of a decent wage?

Thank god I got out of the corporate rat-race 30 years ago.

Edited by Grumpy Git

2 hours ago, sage said:

Did he mention any players he recommended that we missed out on?

He said that he'd often scout for replacements, should a player get injured or sold on, someone who could fill the void if needed. He mentioned when his dad was boss he knew the type of player to look for, they had that chemistry. But added that he sometimes did not have that same connection or communication with other managers. He did not mention player's names, he was very respectful.

I've alway had the impression that he only had an input with the younger players brought here, that a manager like Lampard/Rowett/Clement had their own ideas and bypassed our scouting process. Maybe we can blame Joe for Nugent, for those here that did not rate him.

35 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

About time, recruitment has been shiiite for as long as I can remember him being in that role. Will not be missed. 

Permanent transfers since Cocu joined:
19/20 - Bielik, Shinnie, Rooney
20/21 - Jozwiak, Ibe, te Wierik, Byrne, Marshall, Kazim
21/22 - Baldock, Stearman, Allsop, Jagielka, Ravel

I think on the whole, that's not bad given our restrictions

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Permanent transfers since Cocu joined:
19/20 - Bielik, Shinnie, Rooney
20/21 - Jozwiak, Ibe, te Wierik, Byrne, Marshall, Kazim
21/22 - Baldock, Stearman, Allsop, Jagielka, Ravel

I think on the whole, that's not bad given our restrictions

Restrictions! Beilik £10 mill and Rooney had to play as he was on £100k a week.Having said that Jags was a diamond.