Worst 90's 11

LERam

57 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Totally agree, Kuhl was ok. I didn't think Harkes was that bad either.

Harkes was OK...maybe he had more success with Sheff Wed. Derby fans probably associate him most with the fluffed shot in the Leicester Play Off which could have put us 2-1 up.

Was an integral part of the US world cup side in 94 which was only narrowly knocked out by winners Brazil. Unfortunately his cross against Colombia had more tragic consequences.

3 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Harkes was OK...maybe he had more success with Sheff Wed. Derby fans probably associate him most with the fluffed shot in the Leicester Play Off which could have put us 2-1 up.

Was an integral part of the US world cup side in 94 which was only narrowly knocked out by winners Brazil. Unfortunately his cross against Colombia had more tragic consequences.

Hmmm....I'm not convinced. BO Bragstad won 15 caps for Norway before he joined us, and played in all 3 of their games at Euro 2000. After he joined us, he never won another cap.

There's probably another good thread on the subject of "Top XI who were great for other teams but crap for us". In fact, there's probably enough in that category to make 5 teams!

36 minutes ago, Kinder said:

How about Mauricio Solis? Seemed to be signed just to help Wanchope settle in.

Solis ended up with a raw deal to be honest. Smith always said that Solis was the player he originally scouted. Wanchope was brought along to help him settle and as a bit of a wildcard. The Premier League had a maximum non EU foreigner rule at the time and we only had space for one of the Costa Ricans to play regularly, so Wanchope's incredible form ensured Solis never got a run in the team.

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Hmmm....I'm not convinced. BO Bragstad won 15 caps for Norway before he joined us, and played in all 3 of their games at Euro 2000. After he joined us, he never won another cap.

There's probably another good thread on the subject of "Top XI who were great for other teams but crap for us". In fact, there's probably enough in that category to make 5 teams!

Derek Hales would probably top that list.

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ha Ha, yeah they'll be plenty... especially those who scored against us but couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo whilst in a Rams shirt.

8 hours ago, Kinder said:

How about Mauricio Solis? Seemed to be signed just to help Wanchope settle in.

As I recall it was the other way around.  Wanchope was a basketball player by trade who showed a bit of unpredictability and was a makeweight.  Strange how things happen.  After the last 12 months I fully expect Kubic and Knoflicek to turn up again and disappear.

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As I recall it was the other way around.  Wanchope was a basketball player by trade who showed a bit of unpredictability and was a makeweight.  Strange how things happen.  After the last 12 months I fully expect Kubic and Knoflicek to turn up again and disappear.

In the few times I saw him, Solis actually looked very capable

12 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Beck was a strange signing. Don’t think he had really done that much at the top level yet Derby were an established premier league team then. 

Unfortunately that time seemed to signal the end of an era, players like Chris Powell, Wanchope and Baiano leaving and players like Stefan Schnoor and Beck coming in. 

I was actually really angry when we signed Beck. He'd been a laughing stock at Boro' for how bad he was, and we were a good side. It was obvious to anyone who knew a smidgen about football that he would be an appalling signing, yet it was being talked about. And then it actually happened. It was baffling and extraordinary. And he proved even worse for us than he'd been for them. It makes me furious just to write this post now. What were we thinking? Embarrassing signing of an embarrassingly poor player.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was actually really angry when we signed Beck. He'd been a laughing stock at Boro' for how bad he was, and we were a good side. It was obvious to anyone who knew a smidgen about football that he would be an appalling signing, yet it was being talked about. And then it actually happened. It was baffling and extraordinary. And he proved even worse for us than he'd been for them. It makes me furious just to write this post now. What were we thinking? Embarrassing signing of an embarrassingly poor player.

Same time we changed Stimac for Spencer Prior - help me. Powell for Schnoor still a good one.  Schnoor must still have a link to the club based on his agent list. 

As of February 2009, he is a player agent. His agency, Kick and Rush GmbH, represents, among others, Colin Kazim-Richards, Mathias Jørgensen, Marcus Tudgay, Giles Barnes

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm a loser baby 

image.png.fff63872d87db29b489daae830d009ad.png

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember a picture in match magazine with Boro players celebrating and the caption - Beck has just left to sign for Derby! I did think oh no 

It's really interesting revisiting this period. There are certain positions where it's a real struggle to call any of our permanent players bad. It makes me realise what a good time it was for us in the 90s. It's also interesting to see the astonishingly steep drop off in the quality of our signings from 2000 onwards. There are so many players who would definitely make this list, but just miss the cut by about 6 months.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I remember thinking Daryl Powell was rubbish. He’d have been our best player in any/all of the last 14 seasons! 

Exactly. And I still say that about nearly every player I currently see making a good contribution elsewhere in the Championship when they weren't considered good enough for Derby in recent seasons.

On 26/04/2022 at 10:24, I DONT MIND said:

Bjorn Otto Bragstad.

He was signed August 2000....but yes he was absolutely woeful. The turning circle of a cruise liner. 

Always remember the Bald Eagle trying his best to sign Bergdolmo from Rosenberg, but he went to Ajax instead, so Jim went for his CB partner... Bragstad... 

Bergdolmo was class. Bragstad wasn't. 

13 minutes ago, EranioIsGod said:

He was signed August 2000....but yes he was absolutely woeful. The turning circle of a cruise liner. 

Always remember the Bald Eagle trying his best to sign Bergdolmo from Rosenberg, but he went to Ajax instead, so Jim went for his CB partner... Bragstad... 

Bergdolmo was class. Bragstad wasn't. 

Jim really lost it didn’t he with some of his signings towards the end of his reign. Some really desperate signings on no doubt huge salaries. Did he sign the white feather?