Worst 90's 11

LERam

I was listening to a podcast last night (Quickly Kevin will he score, 90's podcast), and a guest had to name his teams worst 90's 11.

Thought it might be fun to see what everyone's here would be!

Your 11, your reasons, your opinions, no right or wrong answers. 

Also, anyone into podcasts it's worth a listen I love it, and it brings back childhood memories for me. Some fantastic stories that had me laughing out loud, even the episode dedicated to Forest is worth a listen 

Just now, Crewton said:

Not the ideal era to do a "worst" XI for DCFC - we were pretty good for most of that decade, barring 90/91 and maybe 94/95. I'll be interested to see what people come up with though.

I've just been trying to do it since I posted and it's proving difficult....

Also be good to see which names pop up

The 90's team from the podcast were Arsenal, they were also pretty good through that period. It ended with quite a few unknown (to me anyway) players mentioned

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'd nominate John Harkes, Lars Bohinen, Mikkel Beck, Vas Borbokis, Nick Pickering and Martin Kuhl, all signings that didn't work out. I've ignored any kids who came up through the youth team, because I think that's unfair.

Thing is, I always struggle to name premier league players as tbf they were operating at the top level of football. But we were at the top level a fair amount through the 90s.

Although Lars Bohinen and Beck were both very poor.

Marino Rahmburg has to feature somewhere I'd imagine.

And the Norwegien Centre back we signed from Rosenburg whose name escapes me.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thing is, I always struggle to name premier league players as tbf they were operating at the top level of football. But we were at the top level a fair amount through the 90s.

Although Lars Bohinen and Beck were both very poor.

Marino Rahmburg has to feature somewhere I'd imagine.

And the Norwegien Centre back we signed from Rosenburg whose name escapes me.

Bjorn Otto Bragstad.

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'd nominate John Harkes, Lars Bohinen, Mikkel Beck, Vas Borbokis, Nick Pickering and Martin Kuhl, all signings that didn't work out. I've ignored any kids who came up through the youth team, because I think that's unfair.

Nick Pick was signed in 1988, Also I disagree about Kuhl, no world beater but i think quite instrumental in getting us to the Play-Off Final against the ginger bin dogs.

Looking through the squads I find it hard to muster up any negativity towards the 90s players except for perhaps Mikkel Beck... just remember groaning a lot every time the ball went his way. I remember suggesting to an older colleague that he was the worst Derby player I'd seen, to which he replied 'You weren't watching in the grim early 80s!'

I'm told Pickering was bad... though my only memory of him was that he was impossible to get hold of in Pro Set cards... along with Trevor Hebberd for some reason.

image.png.ee547bd0bcced7a1a950e231f4a6d62e.png

34 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Looking through the squads I find it hard to muster up any negativity towards the 90s players except for perhaps Mikkel Beck... just remember groaning a lot every time the ball went his way. I remember suggesting to an older colleague that he was the worst Derby player I'd seen, to which he replied 'You weren't watching in the grim early 80s!'

I'm told Pickering was bad... though my only memory of him was that he was impossible to get hold of in Pro Set cards... along with Trevor Hebberd for some reason.

Beck was a strange signing. Don’t think he had really done that much at the top level yet Derby were an established premier league team then. 

Unfortunately that time seemed to signal the end of an era, players like Chris Powell, Wanchope and Baiano leaving and players like Stefan Schnoor and Beck coming in. 

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

Too young to do the 90s, but I could make a cracking 00s side. Phil Brown even managed to select it for a good chunk of the 2005/06 season.

Oh yes, playing the "how many passes before we hoof it high and long" game. Usually we struggled to get to 3 passes.

1 hour ago, Skin em Ted said:

Scored the winner at Old Trafford in 89/90 too. 

1 hour ago, I DONT MIND said:

Nick Pick was signed in 1988, Also I disagree about Kuhl, no world beater but i think quite instrumental in getting us to the Play-Off Final against the ginger bin dogs.

I agree, Kuhl should be nowhere near the list, decent player and could drink like a fish ?

29 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Beck was a strange signing. Don’t think he had really done that much at the top level yet Derby were an established premier league team then. 

Unfortunately that time seemed to signal the end of an era, players like Chris Powell, Wanchope and Baiano leaving and players like Stefan Schnoor and Beck coming in. 

I think he was a Danish International and had done OK at 'Boro, definitely struggled with us.

Yeah the signings from that point became less inspired... or were good players who didn't have the same impact for whatever reason. I was at Esteban Fuertes' debut against Everton thinking what a great signing. A mate had his name printed on the back of his shirt... it all went wrong a few games later!