Worst 90's 11

LERam

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Harder than I thought, Most that spring to mind actually came in early 21st century, such as Grenet and Bragstad

Andy Oakes

Borbokis Comyn Carbon Daino

Bohinen Hunt Solis Harper

Beck Ormondroyd

Bit unfair on Matt Carbon, remember him having a worldie against Arsenal when we won 3.0

Edited by Poynton ram

14 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

I think he was a Danish International and had done OK at 'Boro, definitely struggled with us.

Yeah the signings from that point became less inspired... or were good players who didn't have the same impact for whatever reason. I was at Esteban Fuertes' debut against Everton thinking what a great signing. A mate had his name printed on the back of his shirt... it all went wrong a few games later!

I don’t think he scored that many at Boro. I thought it was an underwhelming signing for a team pushing for European football. Fuertes was a good player, ending up an Argentinian international later in life. He was also a very nice guy as my dad knew him and I met him several times as a youngster.  Shame it didn’t work out. Weird passport issues. Somehow he could play in France the season after. 

5 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I don’t think he scored that many at Boro. I thought it was an underwhelming signing for a team pushing for European football. Fuertes was a good player, ending up an Argentinian international later in life. He was also a very nice guy as my dad knew him and I met him several times as a youngster.  Shame it didn’t work out. Weird passport issues. Somehow he could play in France the season after. 

Scored against us for Middlesbrough at Pride Park

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Scored against us for Middlesbrough at Pride Park

Maybe so but remember Derby were going for European football then and the signing of Beck seemed strange at the time. A shame Derby never qualified for Europe or won a cup back then. Had a very good side for 2 or 3 prem seasons. 

16 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Never really understood the passport business, sounded a real mess. Could've been a legend for us... these things could only happen to Derby!

2 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Nick Pick was signed in 1988, Also I disagree about Kuhl, no world beater but i think quite instrumental in getting us to the Play-Off Final against the ginger bin dogs.

I mentioned NP because he was playing for us during 89/90 and 90/91 seasons and. despite scoring the winner at Old Trafford in January 1990, he was overall a poor signing, which was the criteria I used for others. I didn't think there were many players who played for us between 91/92 and 98/99 who could be classed as the same, so it was tough to think of a whole starting XI.

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

only thing he ever did. I think most of our duff players scored or had one good game!

...and the winner away in the cup at Swansea.

I didn't think he was a terrible player at all, just a bit indicative of how the quality of our signings diminished after we signed Eranio and Baiano.

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

...and the winner away in the cup at Swansea.

I didn't think he was a terrible player at all, just a bit indicative of how the quality of our signings diminished after we signed Eranio and Baiano.

TBE set a tough kitemark for himself with those earlier signings. Landing an Italian international from Milan on a free transfer has to be up there as one of the shrewdest moves in our history.

31 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Never really understood the passport business, sounded a real mess. Could've been a legend for us... these things could only happen to Derby!

Lets say he wasn't known for getting much sleep and turning up for training.  Not nightclubs - poker fiend.  Think that passport trip may have been engineered.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Harder than I thought, Most that spring to mind actually came in early 21st century, such as Grenet and Bragstad

Andy Oakes

Borbokis Comyn Carbon Daino

Bohinen Hunt Solis Harper

Beck Ormondroyd

Ormondroyd had a great partnership with Bobby Davison.  Then we binned them off for Johnson and Gabbiadini.  Think we'd have got promoted that year if we'd stuck with them two. Can't remember a Daino so he must have been bad. I'll swop you Comyn for a Simon Webster

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Ormondroyd had a great partnership with Bobby Davison.  Then we binned them off for Johnson and Gabbiadini.  Think we'd have got promoted that year if we'd stuck with them two. Can't remember a Daino so he must have been bad. I'll swop you Comyn for a Simon Webster

There aren't that many bad players in 90s. I don't even think some of the selections I've made were bad, just the worst I can remember. I barely recall any bad Centre Backs in the 90s. It's a tough call all in all. I could fill two teams in the era of bigger squads in the 00s and after.

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Totally agree, Kuhl was ok. I didn't think Harkes was that bad either.

My memories of both have been coloured by the way their careers at Derby ended - after a good first season, Kuhl seemed to fade and became disinterested iirc; Harkes, for me, never really settled in, and my last memory of him was TBE hauling him off after 20-odd minutes at Fratton Park, clearly incensed at his performance. I accept that others may have better and clearer memories of both players.