World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Foden isn't outright slow, but it's a different kind of pace all together. I personally think tonight's game and the game on Saturday aren't in any way comparable and that we should probably tweak it for the opponent. The French don't have any natural fullbacks, you'd have to back Rashford in a one on one against Kounde. Foden generally speaking isn't that player. 

Foden is left footed Rashford is right footed so would naturally come inside instead of using pace to go on the outside, like I said I’d keep the same side but if Rashford were to play it would be instead of saka. Rashford was far better in the second half against Wales when he switched to the right hand side

5 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Bellingham needs to stay in the position he was in tonight I’d personally keep the same team but if you wanted to play Rashford I’d play him instead of saka. Foden is by no means slow by the way 

You're right about Foden. He's deceptively rapid, but Jude can play anywhere and influence games, he's that good. I think the dual CDM thing is frustrating when we play the likes of Wales, but Southgate's tournament record speaks for itself and I think we'll see the same starting line-up against France and that's probably the percentage call. It's a nice problem to have, I guess and I'm concious that Soutgate will very likely have tried the various combinations at some point or another and decided that team balance outweighs individual ability. 

2 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

Who would you play Rashford instead of surely not foden

Rashford, Saka, Grealish and Foden can all be match winners and all be frustrating at the same time. We're lucky to have the choice tbh and just hope that whoever Gareth picks has one of their best days.

I would probable pick the ones that keep possession the most, maybe Rashford and Grealish try to take the extra man on too much and end up giving the ball away but its a tight call between them.

Then again, starting Grealish may draw a yellow card from one of the French defenders early doors with his close control and skill. 

It'll be fine margins that decides this game and not giving a goal way will probably be Southgate's biggest concern.

25 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Go on, I'll bite. When has Kane run out of steam in a tournament? In Euro 2020(1), Kane got better as the tournament went along, and in 2018 England stopped creating chances for him. This is just one of those sayings football fans love to trot out without any actual backing to it. 

Vs Croatia for example  (2018). He just looked so tired and slow and should have been taken off. In ‘2020’ he was astonishingly good in the semis (Denmark) then lacklustre for much of the final. Southgate should now be ready to take him off as soon as he wanes because we have so much cover. But I fear he’ll play 90 mins until we lose   Don’t get me wrong I can see why he starts

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

He does. Especially compared to Foden - who comes across like he still has to write L & R on his boots to make sure he puts them on the correct feet

His feet do his talking for him,as long as he’s got football intelligence does it really matter everyone as a different skill set

44 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

He’s 19 and fit as a butcher’s dog. Kane runs out of steam in these tournaments and it costs us. Kane should have been taken off after he’d scored 

Given the choice of getting injured Bellingham or Kane I’d take Kane every day of the week and twice at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Vs Croatia for example  (2018). He just looked so tired and slow and should have been taken off. In ‘2020’ he was astonishingly good in the semis (Denmark) then lacklustre for much of the final. Southgate should now be ready to take him off as soon as he wanes because we have so much cover. But I fear he’ll play 90 mins until we lose   Don’t get me wrong I can see why he starts

He was fine vs Croatia. England sat deep and didn't create anything, he did nothing wrong in that game. Looked fine to me. 

Again, vs Italy I don't see how Kane could be to blame? We scored early and sat deep (seeing a pattern here?) Didn't give a striker much opportunity, and in both games his link up play was excellent. 

He plays week in week out in the premier league and plays at a top level, he has 5 days rest now. He'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Given the choice of getting injured Bellingham or Kane I’d take Kane every day of the week and twice at the weekend.

Not a single player in England's squad can play like Kane. Bellingham is our best midfielder, but doesn't do anything unique. England's system falls apart without Kane. He's our most creative player. 

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

so I'd drop Foden to put Rashford in as I think countering with speed will be the way to beat France. 

Rashford’s not a starter for me but if he starts one person you don’t drop is Foden. He wasn’t at his best tonight but was still showing astonishing acuity. No one knows what he’s just about to do and he does it so fast. He make Mason Mount look like a tortoise 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

Rashford’s not a starter for me but if he starts one person you don’t drop is Foden. He wasn’t at his best tonight but was still showing astonishing acuity. No one knows what he’s just about to do and he does it so fast. He make Mason Mount look like a tortoise 

Foden was good tonight, but if we are going to be real, Foden hasn't shown an awful lot in an England shirt. Not quite sure what his best position is. For me, Rashford's pace and eye for a goal might just be the thing to nick a tight game for us. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not a single player in England's squad can play like Kane. Bellingham is our best midfielder, but doesn't do anything unique. England's system falls apart without Kane. He's our most creative player. 

Don’t understand why the system falls apart without Kane and if it does,  with the wealth of talent in the squad,  find another system. Kane’s USP is that from anywhere in the box he’s more likely to score than anyone else in the squad. Which is why Kane sitting deep - which he does when he’s flagging - is a mixed blessing 
When he’s on song it’s not his creativity that’s so impressive, it’s his execution. For creativity look to Foden and Bellingham 

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Don’t understand why the system falls apart without Kane and if it does,  with the wealth of talent in the squad,  find another system. Kane’s USP is that from anywhere in the box he’s more likely to score than anyone else in the squad. Which is why Kane sitting deep - which he does when he’s flagging - is a mixed blessing 
When he’s on song it’s not his creativity that’s so impressive, it’s his execution. For creativity look to Foden and Bellingham 

That isn't Kane's USP. He is the best passer of the ball in the squad, brilliant at hold up and great at linking play. You could put Wilson on to score goals, but he won't do any of those things. 

Kane doesn't sit deep when he's tired. That's fundamentally misunderstanding his playstyle, he does that every week at Spurs to great success. He isn't a traditional 9. Foden has never had the assist numbers Kane has been putting up the last few years, and Bellingham is more a box to box midfielder. 

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Foden was good tonight, but if we are going to be real, Foden hasn't shown an awful lot in an England shirt. Not quite sure what his best position is. For me, Rashford's pace and eye for a goal might just be the thing to nick a tight game for us. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree in my mind a fit Foden starts whether that be out wide or just behind Kane, he’s never been given a run in the England side he always seems to be on trial

44 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Feels an odd post when it looked a really good VAR decision, after the ref had missed the clear handball. Embarrassing twice taken penalty by  Lewandowski though.

Clear and obvious error? Not a wildly unnatural hand position and the ball brushed his arm as it was moving away from the ball. 
Yes probably a pen. But for me not via VAR

Personally I’ve come to love the stuttering penalty. If you do it right, you score every time and the keeper looks like a clown. If you don’t do it right, you look like a clown. Otherwise a penalty is a game of chance 

4 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree in my mind a fit Foden starts whether that be out wide or just behind Kane, he’s never been given a run in the England side he always seems to be on trial

Like I said before, I think Foden is a good player, but Man City performances aren't enough. We need to see more like tonight from Foden in an England shirt for him to be a guaranteed starter for England. He's been on trial as he's not done much, which is pretty justified. We've had plenty of good players in the past who haven't done it for England.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Like I said before, I think Foden is a good player, but Man City performances aren't enough. We need to see more like tonight from Foden in an England shirt for him to be a guaranteed starter for England. He's been on trial as he's not done much, which is pretty justified. We've had plenty of good players in the past who haven't done it for England.

So your saying he played well tonight but you would still drop him but on the other hand you say he doesn’t play regularly because he doesn’t play well for England when would you play him then