Breaking down following the Rams

IslandExile

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not a breakdown in the traditional sense (v2)...

Early 80/81 season.

After witnessing a mighty fine 0-0 draw at Loftus Rd in a League cup 1st leg, I was heading home from work a week or so later... 03/09/80... push bike... Celanese to Chad... via the A52 Dual Carriageway... looking forward to that evenings second leg at home...

Woke up in the back of an ambulance... with the motorbiker who had knocked me off lying on the other side, sighing a huge sigh that I was still alive!  The motorbike had hit me side on (Entering A52 from the Raynesway slip) and literally folded my bike in half, sending me skidding along the tarmac ahead of approaching traffic moving at full pelt!)  (Police Reports said I had to be pulled from under a Jag, that just about managed to stop in time!)  Just glad I was unconscious throughout, and don't remember a thing!

...Skin removed from half my face... shoulder bone broke (still sticks out to this day)... and a hole in my calf (Scarred for life), where the bone was sticking out!
(Luckily I resisted picking the scabs, and my face eventually healed scar free!)

As you might imagine, I didn't actually get to the game that evening (Half fan!), but we lost on pens anyway, so duck 'em!  ?

Made my return with leg in plaster, and on crutches, on the terrace at Grimsby on the 13th... 10 days later!

#ROCK 'ARD!   ? 

Respect; you are lucky to be alive!  I remember that game well. I was in the Ossie End. Gordon Hill scored the winning penalty for QPR and celebrated on the pitch with that bar-steward Tommy Docherty as if they had just won the trophy. 

I can’t remember the game but it was in London in the mid nineties. I took my (now) wife and her mum down with me in my golf GTi - though they didn’t go to the game. 

We parked in central London but on the way back the gear linkage broke and AA man said we could have one gear to get home in. I picked third and did the 125 miles back home without touching the gear stick.

Getting to the M1 was the hardest part - could have cooked a roast dinner on my clutch!

Edited by StarterForTen

Way back in the early 70s we were coming back from West Brom in our old moggy minor when the exhaust pipe became loose. We were chugging along when we saw an old couple walking along in slippers. My partner, rather naughtily, put his foot down on the accelerator and this couple nearly left their slippers on the path. We made it home though.

3 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

Way back in the early 70s we were coming back from West Brom in our old moggy minor when the exhaust pipe became loose. We were chugging along when we saw an old couple walking along in slippers. My partner, rather naughtily, put his foot down on the accelerator and this couple nearly left their slippers on the path. We made it home though.

I remember once when we in 6th form one of the boys had passed his test and got a fiat Uno. He gave me a lift in it. Started the engine and what a noise, wow, from 900cc..."oh the manifold is loose" he says.....

I remember once when I had a Ford Prefect with Vacuum wipers it was raining so hard the wipers stopped working and also one game when I travelled in an Austin Mini that the wipers packed up altogether.

It always seemed to be the wipers that gave problems on away days. 
Let’s hope the Rams can wipe the slate clean 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Respect; you are lucky to be alive!  I remember that game well. I was in the Ossie End. Gordon Hill scored the winning penalty for QPR and celebrated on the pitch with that bar-steward Tommy Docherty as if they had just won the trophy. 

My plan was to join you... in the Ossie End, that is, as was my habit back then!

The bike was literally doubled in half, with both wheels side by side!  Cops left it in the boot out of sight, when they went to Dad's to tell him.  Anyone looking at the bike without the facts would assume the worst!  It was only a couple of months old... and I still owed the catalogue about 40 weeks payments!  ? 
Think the (motor) biker got done with speeding and/or dangerous driving or some such charge.

I got a pay out for... get this... I still remember it to the penny... £1,314.05!

When you're on £28 per week, that's one hell of a windfall!  Unfortunately it came in the run up to Christmas, so it didn't last quite as long as I initially imagined it would!  ?

#Happy Days!  ?

Ooh just remembered a proper breakdown...

Felix Bus... Away in That London (Maybe Orient?  1980ish?  ?‍♂️)

Just about managed to limp the bus to that Karl Marx cemetery (Highgate?) and we tubed it from there (got the cash back off Felix later).
Arrived back early evening, to find the bus still broke, and was advised that a replacement bus had just set off to rescue us... From Stanley Village!

All I remember was rowing to Oops upside your head in the local hostelry, and being very, very drunk for the (eventual) journey home!  

fs.jpg?w=793

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I did manage to go to the first leg at theirs.
Remember nothing about the game, other than the 0-0 scoreline.
But I always remember, walking away from the ground, surrounded by locals, so keeping schtum due to my non-local accent, the local guy behind me spoke to his mate... "If we'd of wun, I'd of went to the second leg"!

I so wanted to put him right for his extremely poor diction, but was too scared to say 'owt!  ?

15 hours ago, 2tups said:

Enhanced by a gig in Islington with @Inverurie Ram, taxi to Victoria from a Millwall fan and the ‘pleasure’ of the overnight Megabus to Aberdeen. With quality facilities and happy students returning to Central Lancs.

Some time on the A90 north of Forfar, twelve hours or so later, the elation was taken to new levels by blinding rain and, yes, the wipers on the bus stopped working. Dear diary, sod off

Always an experience and an education in the joys of travelling with the Aberdeenshire Rams.

It's all part of being a Derby County supporter, the hope, the disappointment, taking half a life time to get home, to get so close, through all the hurt, the lack of sleep, the worry, the discomfort, to be then informed that the replacement megabus will be with us as soon as possible.............so this administration and preferred bidder malarky becomes a walk in the park, in the cold, in the dark, who put that ducking bin there!

Brighton away in the League Cup on a Tuesday night, around 1979 ish without looking it up.

The train home broke down. We were stuck somewhere, no mobile phones, no internet, no one knew what was happening other than about 200 of us were stuck on a sweaty train full of cigarette smoke, stale beer smell, farts and body odour. No food or drink, everyone had ran out of fags, if you had a couple of Players No.6 on you it was a case of locking yourself in a filthy overflowing bog to have a smoke or you'd get the fags nicked off you or begged for 'last drags and docker mate?"

Ended up getting back home 30 minutes before I started work on the Wednesday morning.

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Brighton away in the League Cup on a Tuesday night, around 1979 ish without looking it up.

The train home broke down. We were stuck somewhere, no mobile phones, no internet, no one knew what was happening other than about 200 of us were stuck on a sweaty train full of cigarette smoke, stale beer smell, farts and body odour. No food or drink, everyone had ran out of fags, if you had a couple of Players No.6 on you it was a case of locking yourself in a filthy overflowing bog to have a smoke or you'd get the fags nicked off you or begged for 'last drags and docker mate?"

Ended up getting back home 30 minutes before I started work on the Wednesday morning.

I was on that train! Bloody freezing as I remember it.  Did Leighton James score or am I remembering another match?

Hartlepool in the FA cup not a breakdown so read on, It was my turn to drive the mini bus, All good happily going down the A1 for a few beers in York, Pull off the motorway and the lads wanted to take a leak, So pulled over into a layby, Mad rush to get out...only 2 lads started to squeeze through the door one pushed the other into the windscreen...and pop it came out all the way, I managed to grab hold before it hit the ground

Most were not happy least of all me, It was a mini bus hired from Atwal's van hire(no he wasn't Dutch)rang the AA they said we're not coming out for 3 hours at the earliest, I told them I had a bus load of pensioners from a day out and they're freezing cold, OK they said we'll send a man out ASAP

AA man turns up, Then asks where are the pensioners, All in the bus shelter mate, He wanders a few yards to see 14 half pi$$ed lads, Not happy was the man, We chucked him a tenner and 20mins later the windscreen is in place, Told Atwal's a half cocked story and got our full deposit back.

Happy Days ?