Blackpool away

uttoxram75

On 25/03/2022 at 00:09, uttoxram75 said:

Saturday 30th April (at the moment until Sky move it about two weeks before its due).

A few of us from Utch have booked for the Friday and Saturday nights in Blackpool. No idea if we'll get tickets or not for the match. Not that bothered really, if we have a chance of staying up then we'll make our way to the ground with 15 minutes to go and join in any celebrations that may occur, (very doubtful but would be great to be there if we did manage to secure safety).

The chorus of "We are Derby County, and we are staying up....." alone would be worth the time, effort and money.

Either way, we will be drinking in Blackpool on the Friday evening, Saturday lunch and Saturday night hopefully.

We will be a sociable bunch and happy to welcome anyone off the forum to join us for a pint and singsong.

I'll post where we are drinking on the days in question so feel free to look out for the Uttox rams flag and come and say hello.

I may join you for a drink or two if I can get an escape pass

Only been there twice before - mainly because it was nearly always a midweek fixture

1985-1986 - Andy Garner winner for us on our way to promotion from the old 3rd division. Loads of trouble to and from the station and loads of DLF walked around the pitch by the police out of their end & into ours

2012-13 - last away game of the season, we lost & remember watching an on loan Chris Martin going through the motions & me thinking he'll be our permanent signing in the summer even though he looks bang average - got that one wrong !!

Edited by SamUltraRam

The only time I've been to Bloomfield Park, Blackpool, was in the 1968/69 promotion season, from Division 2 to Division 1.

If I remember, it was just after Derby had lost on the previous Wednesday night to Crystal Palace 1-0. We won 3-2 at Blackpool (McFarland with the winner?), and it was the first time Derby had been shown on Saturday's Match of the Day.

I was 16/17 years of age during that promotion year - season ticket on the Popside, and as it was my first year as an apprentice at RR, it gave me a few bob in my pocket to go to some of the away matches - Bury, Oxford, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Preston, Aston Villa.

Great days out - with massive followings, especially at Oxford & Aston Villa.

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Only been there twice before - mainly because it was nearly always a midweek fixture

1985-1986 - Andy Garner winner for us on our way to promotion from the old 3rd division. Loads of trouble to and from the station and loads of DLF walked around the pitch by the police out of their end & into ours

2012-13 - last away game of the season, we lost & remember watching an on loan Chris Martin going through the motions & me thinking he'll be our permanent signing in the summer even though he looks bang average - got that one wrong !!

Remember the 1985 game very well. we were on the large open terrace and I remember it was hard to concentrate on the game due to the constant scuffles in the home end. Don't remember much trouble on the way to and from the station, but as a shy skinny teenager, I always tried to keep a low profile!

Think I last went to a 1-0 win in about 2011. First year of my 'lost weekend' period so the memory is hazy.

Was early on in the season, maybe even still August. Remember it being a warm night in that temporary stand at the side of the pitch (is that still there?). Theo Robinson came off the bench and ran around a bit. Couldn't tell you who scored for us. Think James Bailey might have had one of those rare games of his where he looked like being the answer to some question or other.

My main recollection is there being some beef with getting the big flag into the ground and there being something of a small ruckus between the police in a corner of the ground where the bogs were situated.

Never really 'got' Blackpool away. Think I just hate the seaside.

Edited by JoetheRam

The only time I went to Blackpool was after we had been hammered 5-1 at Blackburn in September 1983. I was 15 and I couldn’t get into any of the pubs there so me and a friend spent the entire evening travelling up and down the prom on a tram bored shitless. I’ve hated Blackpool ever since..

20 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Nigel Clough playing Chris Martin on the right wing...those were the days