F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Typical of the FIA to bottle it and let Mazepin drive under a neutral flag….

Yeah, it's annoying because he doesn't deserve to be in F1 as a driver. Nothing to do with anything else he's just ?

I saw Danny Kyvatt's statement, and, yes, he put it well but, whilst the situation in Ukraine isn't his fault or Nikita's the world of sports saying "no, you can't have this international acceptance and ligitimacy" is a powerful message. Just as having a grand prix or a world cup is a bourball of "we're a real country, and good one" the regime being so bad that yeah, you can't have international sporting representation is a pretty public black mark. I don't think it'll change Putin's mind or anything.

But then the FIA / F1 have never been particually adverse to having events in questionable countries. (Protests against human rights abuses in Bahrain - Bernie said "oh don't worry, it's just some kids throwing rocks")

11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But then the FIA / F1 have never been particually adverse to having events in questionable countries. (Protests against human rights abuses in Bahrain - Bernie said "oh don't worry, it's just some kids throwing rocks")

F1 raced in South Africa through virtually the entire apartheid era, then almost immediately stopped racing there when it ended. 

F1 is escapism turned up to the max, but too often the people running it also appear to be escaping from any moral responsibility. 

58 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Second test starts tomorrow.

Should be a bit more reflective of who is going to be fast.

Much looking forward to the season starting the week after.

Haas obviously still looking for a driver and sponsorship, so perhaps the hold up is Mike Ashley wants a go in an F1 car.

He should buy DCFC and the sponsorship for Haas at the same time. Get a black and white car on the grid. He could even appoint one of our players as the driver in the second seat. Although preferably not Tom.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

I don't care if it's illegal, that Mercedes is FUGLY.

It's good to see Karen Horner limbering up for the season already by screaming "it's against the rules" about Mercedes before the team quickly put out a statement saying "no, we didn't make any comments"

But K-mags getting the Haas job is good news. Unless you're a door, obviously.

Times are always not representative in testing, but I think we can say Ferrari are looking genuinely decent, and I don't think there's been any horrifically got the regs wrong teams.

The midfield shake up is going to be very interesting come the GP next weekend.

So, apart from prey for Haas, it's all good.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Drive to Survive is released at 8am tomorrow, might just start on the last episode.

I'm all about the prime Gunther Steiner profanity. And I'm expecting much from Gunther after the season Haas had.

Obviously, with max deciding it was bs and he wasn't going to do it, with Lewis already doing as little as he could, I hope the series focuses on trying to big up a rivalry between Lance and Seb.

But mostly I want raging Steiner

23 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Drive to survive is out, 3 episodes into it, loving it

Episode 4 is when we start getting vintage Gunther.

Friday for the start of things proper. Testing testing...impossible to really tell too much, ferrari and red bull probably decent, merc sandbagging, mclaran have potential but also issues, midfield all look ok but no one perfect, be interesting to see how they shape up.

Been watching D2S #3 and kinda wish I hadn't. Stark reminder that Horner is an odious, foul-mouthed creep, Verstappen is going to kill someone and the FIA and Liberty are destroying the sport's credibility and mass appeal.

Fast-forward to this season and right on cue, Horner's spent the week flapping his yap about Mercedes cheating, then denying that he's said anything at all. For the first season ever I think I'll just turn up on race-days and try and avoid anything in the press between them as Marko's yapping lapdog has literally sucked all the joy out of the game.

As regards testing, it seems to me that Mercedes may be sandbagging a little, but sacrificing development of the 2021 car to address the new tech-regs  for the 2022 version may well not yield the quantum leap in relative performance many expected, myself included. As for the sporting side of the game, I guess we'll know at the first corner reached whether we are going to have another season where one team gets to re-write the rulebook, or whether we'll actually see a return to the driver standards expected from the flagship of motorsport. I'm not holding my breath ?

Drive to Survive thoughts?

It's good telly. Yeah there's a hundred bones you could pick with the editors and scriptwriter but it remains one of the most compelling sports-docu series you can watch.

God I hate it when Christian Horner's happy.

Max, fine. Checo I've always liked. Karen? He can get in the bin.

Plus, Yuki cracked me up.

...and, the more I think about it, the more I think I'd have been putting the good parts on Mick's car and not Nikita's

As long as one team doesn't absolutely dominate this season I think I'll be happy. Hopefully the likes of Ferrari and McLaren will be closer to the usual pair.

As mentioned above, I'm only going to watch the racing itself this season. If I have to see or hear any more of Horner's tripe than I absolutely have to I'm going to need to stock up on TV's because of the amount of stuff I'll be throwing at them.

Thing to remember with Horner is that he is a wind up merchant and poohouse of the highest order. The only problem is when the entire F1 media squad forget that.

I hope it's another close season, and I hope Lewis comes out on top, but I really hope that the new regs work in so far as cars can now follow and slipstream effectively.