F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

I think DRS had its benefits when the cars couldn’t follow each other close enough for more than a few corners (or max a couple of laps) without ruining their tyre strategy. Now we have ground effect and the cars can run closer it makes sense to remove DRS or reduce how often it can be used on tracks where there are plenty of overtake options.

1 hour ago, roboto said:

I think DRS had its benefits when the cars couldn’t follow each other close enough for more than a few corners (or max a couple of laps) without ruining their tyre strategy. Now we have ground effect and the cars can run closer it makes sense to remove DRS or reduce how often it can be used on tracks where there are plenty of overtake options.

It's a fair comment, DRS became a thing for a reason but I never liked the concept - it always seemed an artificial way to generate the passing oportunities and seemed a bit "well, passing is no longer impossible but is now inevitable" at times.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Mick Schumacher now the reserve driver for Mercedes.

I do like Mick but wondering if this puts him in another Merc powered car for another team down the line. Incredibly unlikely he'll take a spot if Lewis/George end up elsewhere.

I'm not sure Merc are looking at him in terms of Lewis/George, I suspect it's more of a "he's diligent and hard working and good enough to do the sim work, and in the case we need a stand in he can probably cover a race" - in terms of a drive for Mick, I can't see Mclaren going for him even as a sweetner in an engine deal, but supposing Logan doesn't work out at Williams things could probably be facilitated.

Unless being free of the "development" Haas were offering him has an amazing effect on him I don't see a top driver in Mick, that's not to pan him, he's shown flashes that he could be a decent F1 driver, he's no Latifi, but not a compelling case that he's the guy you need as a driver either. Problem for Mick he's neither shown enough "next big thing" potential or "dependable performer will get you consistent finishes" and there's always next year's crop of "the next big thing" and pay drivers around for the teams who'd likely give him a shot.