F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

OK, it's seemingly still ages away from even testing but before you know it the top level driving round and round in circles series will be back.

Since the farcical end to the 2021 season there's been much debate / toxic twitter bs between max fans and Lewis fans but here's where we are at in the wonderful world of F1:

Otmar left Aston Martin, it's believed he'll show up at Alpine and the last of the plucky little Jordan/Force India spirit departs as Mr Stroll has far grander ambition.

As yet Michael Massi hasn't been imprisoned in castle Wolfenstein, or sacked by the FIA.

We're still not sure if Lewis is coming back - been a few mumbles along the lines of he's been very quiet. FWIW I think he'll be back, he's just taking time away from the BS.

Gasly is annoyed he's not got the red bull drive. Everyone points out he did naff all in it last time and rubbed Karen Horner up the wrong way. He's talented for sure but I think he needs to leave the red bull set up.

There's the usual team PR happy faces working hard and having fun output from all the teams.

To my knowledge Nikita mazespin hasn't done anything awful this off season.

VAG haven't yet confirmed they're coming into the sport (as Audi or Porsche) but it's still being sweet talked by F1.

There's the Monte Carlo rally to look forward to at the end of January.

I'll update the thread with off-season news or drama if anything come up.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My neck, my back, my vettel and

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/aston-martin-appoints-mike-krack-as-f1-team-principal/7271116/

Was formerly head of BMW Motorsport and has experience at Sauber when he was an engineer.

I can't believe that the poor bloke was given that name! 

This could blow up on Aston Martin big time. Seems a big risk having a switch up like this. You can't imagine Vettel will want to remain any longer if they don't get their act together this year. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having become too depressed with football being ruined by money, people who are unscrupulous, rule bending, rule breaking, merit being thwarted by seeking advantage and talent ruined by incompetent governance...I decided to take refuge in my love of F1.

So, car launch season is already upon us, and it's the American team who are first out of the blocks with another giant russian flag livery which is in no way connected to mazespin's dad's money keeping the team afloat.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/haas-2022-livery-launch/

11 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got tickets for the the French GP. Anybody's been and if so best place to stay (Hotel, camping etc...) as we are staying the 3 days. Thanks.

Never been, but I hope you have a great time.

I'd imagine there's plenty of tourist stuff in that part of France so there'll be places to stay and things to do.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

After all the rumours and suggestions that he'd retire, Hamilton has posted on social media that he's back.....

Good, although I didn't ever really think he was seriously going to flounce off after the yas marina robbery. He still wants to retire on 8 and I'd imagine he would very much like to take the crown back from Max.

Car launches are as abundant as Mel and Gibson make up nookie right now, and there's been 3 quite different launches at the time of writing

Haas: got the graphics intern to cut and paste last year's livery onto the drawings of the F1 car shown at Silverstone last year.

Red Bull: oracle gave us lots of money, max number 1, yellow conk, not our real car.

Aston Martin: Climbing is a word Mr Stroll likes a lot, it's British racing green, nice side pod grills, Motorsport saved the world from Seb's singing career. Actually a car.

McLaren 7pm tonight. Bingo cards to include Danny Ric laughing, Lando stans, very bullish Zach Brown, a video montage of 90% Monza 10% Sochi (until it rained)

When back in the day it'd be the first morning of testing, smiling drivers pull off a sheet and then sit on the tyre as the press photos get taken, now, we have launch events with flash videos and often not the actual car they intend to race.

Alpha Tauri launch another "not our actual car" but I like it, and, they knowcked it out the park for "weird launch art video"

on the catwalk yeah on the catwalk....

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

When back in the day it'd be the first morning of testing, smiling drivers pull off a sheet and then sit on the tyre as the press photos get taken, now, we have launch events with flash videos and often not the actual car they intend to race.

Alpha Tauri launch another "not our actual car" but I like it, and, they knowcked it out the park for "weird launch art video"

on the catwalk yeah on the catwalk....

Snaz and slick. Not sure it will make the car go faster mind you!

Masi out, Wittich and Freitas in. Freitas was my suggestion before - incredibly faultless race director of the WEC, including Le Mans. Can’t recall him ever making a mistake - and that’s easier to do in a 24 hour race across an 8 mile circuit with 65 cars than it is a single GP.

New Ferrari looks incredible, and also very different to the other cars - which means it will go like hell or be the slowest car on the grid…

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Masi out, Wittich and Freitas in. Freitas was my suggestion before - incredibly faultless race director of the WEC, including Le Mans. Can’t recall him ever making a mistake - and that’s easier to do in a 24 hour race across an 8 mile circuit with 65 cars than it is a single GP.

New Ferrari looks incredible, and also very different to the other cars - which means it will go like hell or be the slowest car on the grid…

Had to go and have a look at the car and it does look impressive but not a patch on the team's principal barnet!

image.thumb.png.c309b430e03cb1f6ba0daaab47fd085c.png

14 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Had a feeling Masi wouldn't come out of this unscatched but surprised it took so long to happen. Maybe waited until they knew who they wanted in to replace him. Hopefully it brings back some of the sporting element over "entertainment first" that we saw during 2021.

They timed the announcement it to the exact same minute as Ferrari’s launch, which is of course the biggest. FIA were only waiting for the best time to bury it imo.