F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

21 hours ago, Gaspode said:

A few of the teams have raised concerns regarding how similar the Ferrari and the HAAS cars are - Gunther couldn't care less: "You have to work hard for envy. You get pity for free."

It's nowhere near as blatant as the pink Mercedes was. True some Ferrari staff have had new jobs at Haas but I don't think there's anything particularly concerning.

They're only upset because Haas jumped from backmarker back to midfield team - and hope this will hobble a competitor.

So, with it being "sprint qualifying" this weekend (still don't like the way it sets the grid and doesn't offer a lot of points, so it's actually a very risk averse approach for most of the drivers) the qualifying is tomorrow at 4PM.

I like the idea of having F1 sprint races, but, bite the bullet, let it be a sprint race, drop the sprint qualifying element and give it some points.

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Latifi needs to try WRC

Or NASCAR...no wait...too many walls...

Anyway, that was interesting.

Verstappen, Leclerc you probably have guessed at, but good effort from Lando to get P3 and from K-Mags to get P4.

Alondso P5 (good job) and Danny Ric P6 (ok, not bad), Perez P7 (c'mon man, the car's better than that), Bottas P8 despite stopping with a technical problem in Q3, and Vettel P9 (fair play, good job in that car) and oh dear, Carlos Sainz, P10 celebrated his new contract by binning it in Q2 whilst he was comfortably through.

More bad news for Mercedes, Gergie boy P11 and Lewis P13 with mich schumacher in between.

Zhou, Stroll, Yuki, Gasly (! seems the AT car is just bad), Latifi, Ocon (technical problems) and Alex Albon's Magical Exploding Break Disks

Fortunatly for everyone who did a bad a job today, it's a "sprint" weekend where folks in fast cars who are rubbish at qualifying get to move back torwards their natural place in the order before Sunday's grand prix (eh, Carlos, Checo?).

58 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What's happened with Sainz. If you give a consistent driver an inconsistent car then he does everything he gets the full potential out of it 

Give that same driver a consistent car... 

C'mon man. Let's make sure Horner doesn't get that constructors 

I dunno, I think some of it is trying to hard because he really doesn't want to have that ferrari no2 straitjacket thrust upon him and Leclerc is a bloody hard match, and, the new cars are different to drive and it's responding how he expects. It's bit like Riciarrdo last year, good drvier but really can't get the best out the car.

I think Sainz will get up to near Leclerc's level again, but by the time he does the racing gods will have have put that big "2" on his hat.

I could be wrong though, I often am.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I dunno, I think some of it is trying to hard because he really doesn't want to have that ferrari no2 straitjacket thrust upon him and Leclerc is a bloody hard match, and, the new cars are different to drive and it's responding how he expects. It's bit like Riciarrdo last year, good drvier but really can't get the best out the car.

I think Sainz will get up to near Leclerc's level again, but by the time he does the racing gods will have have put that big "2" on his hat.

I could be wrong though, I often am.

I hope he gets to grips with it soon. Seems like one of the nicest guys in the sport and we know he's better than this

22 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Hopefully qualifying is dry or at least drying.

Weather looks ok for tomorrow and probably Sunday.

Who is going to be the jackass who brings out the red flags though? Looking at you Latifi...(he's totally addicted to walls)

I went go karting a couple of days ago. And it was me that had the red flags out. In a running battle with some 12 year olds, and caused a 4 car pile up while we all span out. Fun times. 

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I went go karting a couple of days ago. And it was me that had the red flags out. In a running battle with some 12 year olds, and caused a 4 car pile up while we all span out. Fun times. 

Last time I went go karting i finished last. However, I had my racing driver's excuses well prepared. I was over 17st at the time and the power to weight ratio was adversly affected.

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Looking forward to the Sprint. Not even entirely sure why I enjoy the format, it’s not perfect but does add a little bit of extra thrill before the Sunday I suppose. 

It's kind of too compromised to just be "have at it lads" because it sets the grid for the GP for most of the drivers there's more to lose than to gain by taking risks. I like having a sprint race, but would rather it was straight forwardly just a sprint race.

Well, I quite enjoyed it, although it did remind my why I dislike DRS passes.

Big wins for both Perez and Sainz who should've qualified better all told.

Alonso and Magnusson dropping back quite badly.

But as ever this season, it's Max v Charles, fizzy pop v Ferrari, and whole bunch of interesting midfield battles.

Oh, and another stinking day for Mercedes.