F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

Hoping for Fraudcedes to have an average year.

Seriously, I would love Alonso and Vettel to be in the mix but it won't happen sadly.

Failing that, at least a 6 way fight for the championship,  Verstappen/Hamilton/LeClerc/Russell/Sainz/Lando would do me, with strong support from Perez/Ricciardo.

Also, sadly, won't happen.

If Hamilton wipes the floor with George, then he'll have a claim to be the GOAT, if George outshines Hamilton then show's over I think. Even stevens between the two is my bet.

I still think Alonso is the best driver on the grid, then Verstappen and Hamilton close behind.

23 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Hoping for Fraudcedes to have an average year.

Seriously, I would love Alonso and Vettel to be in the mix but it won't happen sadly.

Failing that, at least a 6 way fight for the championship,  Verstappen/Hamilton/LeClerc/Russell/Sainz/Lando would do me, with strong support from Perez/Ricciardo.

Also, sadly, won't happen.

If Hamilton wipes the floor with George, then he'll have a claim to be the GOAT, if George outshines Hamilton then show's over I think. Even stevens between the two is my bet.

I still think Alonso is the best driver on the grid, then Verstappen and Hamilton close behind.

It's amazing how Fernando hasn't had more than 2 titles really, he is exceptional.

But when people get fed up and board that Lewis has been in a dominant car for what seems like forever, remember how rookie Hamilton slapped double world champ Alonso around at McLaren.

I am excited to see how Georgie boy does in that Merc, I think he's got more to him in terms of aggression and race craft than Bottas.

Verstappen will be strong again as long as rbr haven't dropped the ball, and testing seems to indicate the red bull will be decent.

But, I really hope the Ferrari is everything they hope it is and I never thought I'd say that in 2003. Helps that I really like both Ferrari drivers.

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But when people get fed up and board that Lewis has been in a dominant car for what seems like forever, remember how rookie Hamilton slapped double world champ Alonso around at McLaren.

I know we will have different opinions on this but I see it differently.

I see Alonso coming in to a new team, where the cards were stacked against him in the 2nd half of the season and still not being beaten by Hamilton.

I see Hamilton playing games at Hungary that year and Alonso playing them back but getting hammered by the British press.

Best thing about that season was Raikkonen stealing the championship at the death by a point. Legend.

12 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's amazing how Fernando hasn't had more than 2 titles really, he is exceptional.

I am excited to see how Georgie boy does in that Merc, I think he's got more to him in terms of aggression and race craft than Bottas.

Verstappen will be strong again as long as rbr haven't dropped the ball, and testing seems to indicate the red bull will be decent.

But, I really hope the Ferrari is everything they hope it is and I never thought I'd say that in 2003. Helps that I really like both Ferrari drivers.

I love the romanticising of Alonso. Great driver but beaten silly by Hamilton. Jenson who raced both in the same teams said Alonso was the toughest driver out there, but Lewis was the fastest.

As for Verstappen, when he learns to race wheel to wheel without shunting drivers off the track, then perhaps he'll earn the right to be mentioned in the same breath. He has the ability, but sadly lacks the sporting mindset to ever be considered a 'great' in my mind, but he has time on his side so we'll see.

As for the cars, the RB looks frighteningly well balanced this season, which surprises me a little given their investment in the 2021 car, so we may be entering another era of RB dominance akin to the Vettel seasons. The Ferrari was the car everyone was talking about prior to testing and it's definitely more competitive than for a fair while, but the RB looked glued to the track and had the right people positively purring. The smugness emanating from the RB camp unfortunately tells its own story.

I think the Merc has the potential to be devastatingly quick, but they seem to have sacrificed drivability for raw pace in recent years and most techs would say a balance of the two will get you round a circuit quickest.

Just now, ColonelBlimp said:

I know we will have different opinions on this but I see it differently.

I see *double world champion* Alonso coming in to a new team, where the *rookie* were stacked against him in the 2nd half of the season and still not beating *novice*Hamilton.

I see Hamilton playing games at Hungary that year and Alonso playing them back but getting hammered by the British press. Fair point on the british press

Best thing about that season was Raikkonen stealing the championship at the death by a point. Legend. Kimi is a legend.

People go overboard one way or the other about Lewis. But he is one of the greats.

MotoGP Unlimited on Amazon - I like motoGP but it's so laughably baddly dubbed (like a cliche kung-fu movie from the 70s) it's unwatchable. I wated to be able say it's a good watch but i couldn't do more than 5 minutes. Fix it please mr Amazon.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

People go overboard one way or the other about Lewis. But he is one of the greats.

Why did you change the second paragraph of mine to make it look like I said something different? 

If you're going to do that at least bold it or something.

And yes, Lewis is one of the greats, agreed, but if I was picking one driver for a team I would pick Alonso in his prime over Lewis in his prime.

Would be a very close call though.

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Why did you change the second paragraph of mine to make it look like I said something different? 

If you're going to do that at least bold it or something.

And yes, Lewis is one of the greats, agreed, but if I was picking one driver for a team I would pick Alonso in his prime over Lewis in his prime.

Would be a very close call though.

Apologies - I should have put my changes in bold.

So, Qualifying is done and finally we start to get some answers.

Ferrari pace is real, with Chuck le Duck on pole, mad max, sainz and Perez top 4 then a gap back to Lewis in P5.

6-10 of Bottas (wow), K-Mags (also wow), Fernando, and the Georgie boy in P9 (ouch) and Gasly.

So Alpha Romeo and Haas looking like most improved teams, Merc weren't sandbagging after all.

McLaren and Aston Martin having real struggles, Williams "not great, not terrible" with Albon better than (terrible) Latifi.

11. Ocon

12. Schumacher

13. Lando

14. Albon

15. Zhou

16. Yuki

17. Hulkenberg

18. Honey Badger (ouch, although missing testing probably didn't help)

19. Stroll

20. Latifi

7 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Interesting to see if Mercedes were bluffing about their car performance so far but I don’t think they were. Think Charles will win today, Max P2. 

They may have been playing games during testing, but no way they would bluff during qualifying - they've just got too many issues and (it seems) are down on power - weird considering they reckoned that last year they'd been concentrating their develoment on this years car...