Jack Marriott

Igor Igor Whats the Score?

still frustrates me to this day that it failed with Marriott. thought we had the next Jamie Vardy. It used to piss me off that he was on his own up top with no service and we just lumped it up to him and was solely relying on someone thats 5ft 8 to hold the ball up 

10 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

still frustrates me to this day that it failed with Marriott. thought we had the next Jamie Vardy. It used to piss me off that he was on his own up top with no service and we just lumped it up to him and was solely relying on someone thats 5ft 8 to hold the ball up 

Don't make excuses for him. He was completely workshy and nowhere near as good as he thought he was. His career since demonstrates this

• 1 month later...

Even though I'm an avid follower of Wrexham nowadays I had no idea he'd signed for them until I was walking out their club shop yesterday and came face to face with him, so I'm assuming he hasn't done much since he signed...

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Even though I'm an avid follower of Wrexham nowadays I had no idea he'd signed for them until I was walking out their club shop yesterday and came face to face with him, so I'm assuming he hasn't done much since he signed...

Blimey, what a fall from grace.

From being the hero against the Dirties to working in the Wrexham club shop.

On 06/02/2024 at 20:29, Tombo said:

Don't make excuses for him. He was completely workshy and nowhere near as good as he thought he was. His career since demonstrates this

He scored 3 goals in the equivalent of one match in the playoffs.  The one against Leeds under that pressure was fantastic as was the one at Norwich away.  Scored three in three against premier league sides as well.  Grossly underused and confidence damaged by a manager who had favourites and blamed him for not having the same goal output when it was clear he stopped scoring when Mount was out for about 2 months and he had no service.  Then he didn't fit Cocu's system and was constantly going wide to collect the ball to facilitate a lumbering weeble on 90k a week..  We mismanaged a quality finisher.

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

20 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He scored 3 goals in the equivalent of one match in the playoffs.  The one against Leeds under that pressure was fantastic as was the one at Norwich away.  Scored three in three against premier league sides as well.  Grossly underused and confidence damaged by a manager who had favourites and blamed him for not having the same goal output when it was clear he stopped scoring when Mount was out for about 2 months and he had no service.  Then he didn't fit Cocu's system and was constantly going wide to collect the ball to facilitate a lumbering weeble on 90k a week..  We mismanaged a quality finisher.

Good job every manager he has had since has brought this out of him then?

I've seen lots of players with flashes of quality and who have looked good at one time or another. It takes more to be consistent. He didn't have it in him.

He had 1 amazing season at League One for Posh, 1 or 2 "okayish returns" seasons, and the rest has been dross. I'm sorry, that's Conor Sammon territory in terms of return, with none of the tenacious workrate

He didn't suit modern football in my opinion.

I always thought that sticking him up front on his own and then asking him to effectively close the two centre halves down, by doing doggies across the pitch, was a complete waste of energy.

In my opinion, if he'd been born 20 years earlier, where everybody played two up front, he'd have become a legend.

He gave me some great memories in his short spell here so I don't wish him any ill will at all.

Wrong time, Wrong managers, Wrong sport...golf, He piled weight on when at Wednesday, He'd sooner be on the lash/golf with mates than working hard at the training ground.

He undoubtably had talent as the playoff at Leeds shown, I also remember a goal he scored at PP when playing Sheff Utd winning 2-1...busting a gut to get a foot before their keeper to score.

Seen a good few players on the local parks who could have made a decent living at Pro football...imo but partying with mates and girls put a stop to all this, Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood both sent home from England duties many years ago for some indiscretion...look at them both now...one 👍 the other 👎

12 hours ago, Tombo said:

Good job every manager he has had since has brought this out of him then?

I've seen lots of players with flashes of quality and who have looked good at one time or another. It takes more to be consistent. He didn't have it in him.

He had 1 amazing season at League One for Posh, 1 or 2 "okayish returns" seasons, and the rest has been dross. I'm sorry, that's Conor Sammon territory in terms of return, with none of the tenacious workrate

I liked Sammon for his aggression but he was a crap finisher.  I've seen a lot of strikers at Derby over 40 years.  He was in the top 10 finishers .  In my opinion we ruined him by Lampard treating him like s***.  All opinions.