Steve McClaren

Poynton ram

11 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

But Frank had no history us at all, never claimed to love the club, etc and never tried to be 'smart' with his words. Mac did me when he was asked about Newcastle and kept avoiding answering directly - if he'd have just said 'no, not interested' or 'look, you can't blame me for having my head turned by a Pre club' then fair enough but instead he just kept giving these abstract, non-committal answers that assumes us to be stupid. The politicians do the same these days - they get asked a simple question and simply won't answer it to avoid being held responsible. I'm not 'down' with that as the kids say.

I'm not really slating Mac for doing it, just saying let's not get the statue up just yet - all he's said is that he'll answer the phone. It's not like he's in every day sweeping floors, cleaning boots and painting lines is it...

On 27/09/2021 at 14:46, Charlotte Ram said:

Dreadful last stint as manager who can forget Derby 0 - Reading 3 in May 2015, we needed 1 fxxxing point to make the play offs ( I wish I could forget it) and he engineered a total cluster.

First managerial stint he inherited a great team built by Nigel, then left for the riches of managing Newcastle, totally useless individual as a player and as a manger.

This post fully meets all the criteria for a comment in the post-truth era. Just make up what you want and type......( with no spell checker)

On 27/09/2021 at 15:01, Charlotte Ram said:

Would that be the same George Thorne who played in 8 years 57 games for the Rams and scored 2 goals after signing for £3 million so taking into account his wages of £10 million in that period so we paid him £2,500 for every minute he played for the Rams, and £6.5 million for every goal, he was pants as his entire career shows 129 games in 10 years and only 6 goals. Whats more Morris cannot be blamed for his signing.

But Morris did sign Bielik !!  Sadly no crystal ball  injury forecaster  available at the signing of either player.  Think you will find Thorne was only with us for 6 years, but facts clearly ain't your strong point.

16 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Also agree. If I'd have been Mel, I'd have stuck with Mac once we got him back. His coaching skills are not up for discussion - he's coached at the highest level and I think if we'd really have been thinking long term, that should have been the approach. But no, looking back on Mel's time now, he was inconsistent with his approach, expectations, strategy, etc, etc. I'll admit that I was taken in by Mel - I assumed he had good reason, that we weren't necessarily party to, to make some of the decisions he did but looking back now it looks like he's just a VERY lucky businessman. Or a VERY unlucky football Chairman...

I don’t think Mel really wanted Mac the 2nd time around.  He was keeping the seat warm until Rowett was available - one of the good things about Mel was never paying compensation for a manager.  Mac was brought in to keep us up after Pearson but was sacked after a bad spell, and Rowett being available.  Even at Macs initial press conference he was presented to the media on his own apologising for how he left like a naughty schoolboy.  No sign of Mel, the complete opposite of all his other appointments.  Sam Rush was still here then and I think that’s why he was brought back.

But you’re right, he should have stuck with him instead of yet another change in direction in manager, style of play, type of players needed, etc.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

19 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I don’t think Mel really wanted Mac the 2nd time around.  He was keeping the seat warm until Rowett was available - one of the good things about Mel was never paying compensation for a manager.  Mac was brought in to keep us up after Pearson but was sacked after a bad spell, and Rowett being available.  Even at Macs initial press conference he was presented to the media on his own apologising for how he left like a naughty schoolboy.  No sign of Mel, the complete opposite of all his other appointments.  Sam Rush was still here then and I think that’s why he was brought back.

But you’re right, he should have stuck with him instead of yet another change in direction in manager, style of play, type of players needed, etc.

Maclaren seems to be like marmite, you love it or hate it??

15 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

2015 we were decimated by injuries to Martin , Thorne , Eustace and virtually the whole midfield at the crunch end of the season. If they had stayed fit in my opinion we would have gone up. 

This.

The newcastle stuff was far more a fan obbesseion.

Whilst personnally i think (not ITK, just my thoughts) McClaren had intentionally made sure he left himself a door open with Newcastle he wasn't activly looking to jump ship. But it makes an easy story to explain why we failed.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This.

Whilst personnally i think (not ITK, just my thoughts) McClaren had intentionally made sure he left himself a door open with Newcastle he wasn't activly looking to jump ship. But it makes an easy story to explain why we failed.

I agree a foot in both camps you could say.

15 minutes ago, cannable said:

Owen Bradley would have been conducting that interview FOR Radio Derby…

<sigh>I heard / saw him, numerous times, dodging the question. With my own eyes and ears - not via a Twitter quote. Maybe he said that near the end of the furore or something (IDC) but the damage was done. He dodged, used abstract terms and this language that does everything but convince the listener that they're answering with any integrity -  seems to be de rigueur these days. 

Ultimately, it's inarguable that he did not do a good job of distancing himself from the job as evidenced by the fact he apologised for the same when he came back!

Can we move on? 

19 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

<sigh>I heard / saw him, numerous times, dodging the question. With my own eyes and ears - not via a Twitter quote. Maybe he said that near the end of the furore or something (IDC) but the damage was done. He dodged, used abstract terms and this language that does everything but convince the listener that they're answering with any integrity -  seems to be de rigueur these days. 

Ultimately, it's inarguable that he did not do a good job of distancing himself from the job as evidenced by the fact he apologised for the same when he came back!

Can we move on? 

Don’t forget the most important flaw in your argument…he did not leave us for Newcastle. Mad Mel sacked him. 

47 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This.

This is sort of come down on it, I think he planned on staying but was deliberately leaving the door open a bit on the Newcastle job. Why ? I'm not 100% sure, perhaps it was because a premiership job at his boyhood club or perhaps it was because there was a new owner on the horizon and knowing how those things usually go he wanted to insure himself against it. I suspect the apologies when he came back were largely to smooth things over with fans and bury the hatchet.

Personally my unfounded cynical suspicion is that the sacking in each occasion was less about him and more about MM getting "his man" in post with both Clement and Rowett being rapidly appointed following McClaren's exit. With the Newcastle stuff being used as a bit of a smokescreen in the first instance and the down turn in results being used in the second instance.

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Personally my unfounded cynical suspicion is that the sacking in each occasion was less about him and more about MM getting "his man" in post with both Clement and Rowett being rapidly appointed following McClaren's exit. With the Newcastle stuff being used as a bit of a smokescreen in the first instance and the down turn in results being used in the second instance.

This is the crux of the matter.