1966 World Cup Final

Geriatram

On Channel 4 this afternoon the whole match in colour, If you've never seen it before it will be worth watching. In 1966 I had been a Rams fan for 10 years all in the third and second divisions. I bought my first season ticket after we won. Something I particularly remember that I had not seen before was the German Helmut Haller, who played his football in Italy, rolling round on the floor in fake agony after being tackled .So I will watch it to make sure my memory is not playing tricks. Incidentally Haller was playing for Juventus when we played them in European cup semi final and Peter Taylor accused him of tapping up the German referee, It would seem that he was right about that ,as it was alleged the  ref had accepted a bribe of a Fiat car this information came out a few years later.

23 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

What was the score?

Don't tell me, I'm watching it now ? 

I'm glad I wasn't old enough to watch it the first time around, a lot of the football is crap.

And the commentator really doesn't like the Germany goalkeeper!

Was thirteen at the time, so forget that, three lions thingy, vindaloo, sweet Caroline and Atomic kitten.
 Lonnie Donegan was the man!

All together now!

Dressed in red white and blue
He's World Cup Willie
We all love him too
World Cup Willie
He's tough as a lion and never will give up
That's why Willie is favourite for the Cup
Willie, Willie

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

12 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Was thirteen at the time, so forget that, three lions thingy, vindaloo, sweet Caroline and Atomic kitten.
 Lonnie Donegan was the man!

All together now!

Dressed in red white and blue
He's World Cup Willie
We all love him too
World Cup Willie
He's tough as a lion and never will give up
That's why Willie is favourite for the Cup
Willie, Willie

Innocent days! 

I had a little lapel badge of Willie. I wished it hadn't got lost along life's way! 

Although based on Preston at the time, my railway job at the time carried "all stations" travel facilities so got to see most of the North West group games.

Fortunate to see Pele, Eusebio, Colunna, Yashin, Torres play, three of them twice.

Semi final at Wembley  v  Portugal and Bobby Charlton's thunderous shot -was able to reminisce with him about that 25 years later at a football quiz night.

On to the final, fans on the pitch at our end as Geoff Hurst scored the foothills goal, the unbelievable chants for "Ramsey" at the end - hope it ends well for  Southgate this evening.....

Linesman Tofiq Bahramov, who confirmed England's third goal and became world renowned for the decision, I never expected to see again, but he was appointed to referee one of our European games at the Baseball Ground in the 70s.

Watching this on TV yesterday reminded me that unlike today there was no instant replays, not even for the goals. Which meant you had to watch the game more intently than you have to now in case you missed something  During a lot of games I now watch on TV, I sometimes will look at my phone or even read the newspaper, knowing if I miss anything important it will be a replay of it.

Which means  watching a game on the TV doesn't hold my interest the same as actually being at the game. Probably why I'm watching less and less sport on the TV.

22 hours ago, maxjam said:

a lot of the football is crap.

I'm just a bit too young to remember any of this team as players, except at the very end of their days. But Alan Ball was immense in this game and Jack Charlton was a pretty good footballer, not just a bit lump of a centre half.

I suppose watching the 1966 final at the time, as a teenager, I never really understood how important the game was. I certainly didn’t think it would be 55 years later before I saw England in a major final and when I did I would be be a grey haired, retired, OAP, with Great-grand Children

I will still be kicking and heading every ball tonight, but perhaps without the same vigour that I did when I was a teenager.

Come on England ??????? 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd
Spelling

On 11/07/2021 at 11:27, Dordogne-Ram said:

Although based on Preston at the time, my railway job at the time carried "all stations" travel facilities so got to see most of the North West group games.

Fortunate to see Pele, Eusebio, Colunna, Yashin, Torres play, three of them twice.

Semi final at Wembley  v  Portugal and Bobby Charlton's thunderous shot -was able to reminisce with him about that 25 years later at a football quiz night.

On to the final, fans on the pitch at our end as Geoff Hurst scored the foothills goal, the unbelievable chants for "Ramsey" at the end - hope it ends well for  Southgate this evening.....

Linesman Tofiq Bahramov, who confirmed England's third goal and became world renowned for the decision, I never expected to see again, but he was appointed to referee one of our European games at the Baseball Ground in the 70s.

The Real Madrid one I think 

It's only recently started to dawn on me, how amazing it is about the Charlton brothers. Now that's odd , because I was six at the time, so I've obviously known about them pretty much all my life.

But imagine being Mr and Mrs Charlton. You have a son, who is so good at football, he ends up playing in the top division. That's amazing in itself. Then he goes on to play for his country. Then actually plays in a world cup final, and win it! 

Then as if that's not amazing enough, your other son does the same thing at the same time!