Mexico '70 51 years on

Brammie Steve

Mexico '70

17th June 1970

Semi World Cup Semi Final

Italy vs West Germany

Italy leading 1 - 0 with five minutes to go.

(My younger brother goes to bed)

I witness the most amazing end to a match in the history of the World Cup!

Who else remembers this?Thanks to YouTube we can all watch (or relive) it.

(English commentary and lots of YouTube coverage of the match online!)

Edited by Brammie Steve

On 17/06/2021 at 09:29, Brammie Steve said:

Mexico '70

17th June 1970

Semi World Cup Semi Final

Italy vs West Germany

Italy leading 1 - 0 with five minutes to go.

(My younger brother goes to bed)

I witness the most amazing end to a match in the history of the World Cup!

Who else remembers this?Thanks to YouTube we can all watch (or relive) it.

(English commentary and lots of YouTube coverage of the match online!)

The greatest World Cup of all time.

I was only a kid, just shy of 10 years old, couldn't remember much about 66 apart from thinking Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were better than god.

1970, the football, pace and skill, unbelievable. Arguably the best competition of all time. England's team was superb, without Gordon Banks illness and Sir Alf Ransay taking Bobby Charlton off to rest him too early when we were 2-0 up against Germany in the Quarters it would have been a Brazil v England final.

Pele at his best v Charlton and Moore at their best, who knows what would have happened?

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The greatest World Cup of all time.

I was only a kid, just shy of 10 years old, couldn't remember much about 66 apart from thinking Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were better than god.

1970, the football, pace and skill, unbelievable. Arguably the best competition of all time. England's team was superb, without Gordon Banks illness and Sir Alf Ransay taking Bobby Charlton off to rest him too early when we were 2-0 up against Germany in the Quarters it would have been a Brazil v England final.

Pele at his best v Charlton and Moore at their best, who knows what would have happened?

Gordon made tne greatest save ever against  Pélé.

Although Brazil beat us 1-0 in the group match Pélé recalls thinking 'see you in the final!

Sadly not to be due to Gordon drinking a dodgy bottle of beer but Brazil were streets ahead of any other team and changed the whole style of playing the beautiful game!

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

I was to young to remember the 70 world cup but have seen that fantastic Brazilian team on TV plenty of times. Everyone goes on about Ronaldo been the greatest player ever but for me Pele was the greatest, be interested in people's thoughts? 

Diego Armando, he won the WC by himself. As i always say people can remember at least half of the Brazil teams, for Argentina they struggle to get past el pide de oro

On 19/06/2021 at 04:34, ziggyram59 said:

I was to young to remember the 70 world cup but have seen that fantastic Brazilian team on TV plenty of times. Everyone goes on about Ronaldo been the greatest player ever but for me Pele was the greatest, be interested in people's thoughts? 

Pélé was without doubt the greatest footballer.

The perfect player and a perfect gentleman.

He was utterly unselfish on the pitch, if he felt another player was better placed to score he would pass to them. (All at a time when 'assists' were uncreditted)

His character was summed up perfectly for me when Gordon Banks made THAT save....

"I shouted 'goal' but then saw the ball saved by Banks. For a moment I hated him more than anyone I knew but then I joined in the heartfelt applause!" They became lifelong friends from then on.

At 80 he is without doubt a living legend!

6 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

Pélé was without doubt the greatest footballer.

The perfect player and a perfect gentleman.

He was utterly unselfish on the pitch, if he felt another player was better placed to score he would pass to them. (All at a time when 'assists' were uncreditted)

His character was summed up perfectly for me when Gordon Banks made THAT save....

"I shouted 'goal' but then saw the ball saved by Banks. For a moment I hated him more than anyone I knew but then I joined in the heartfelt applause!" They became lifelong friends from then on.

At 80 he is without doubt a living legend!

And the balls were a lot heavier in those days not like today's football's that travel so fast. 

On 18/06/2021 at 23:03, Brammie Steve said:

Gordon made tne greatest save ever against  Pélé.

Although Brazil beat us 1-0 in the group match Pélé recalls thinking 'see you in the final!

Sadly not to be due to Gordon drinking a dodgy bottle of beer but Brazil were streets ahead of any other team and changed the whole style of playing the beautiful game!

My dad reckons the greatest save ever was Les Green against Jimmy Greaves.  Nobody apart from those in the ground saw it though.

I met Gordon Banks in Menorca.  Very nice fella

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My dad reckons the greatest save ever was Les Green against Jimmy Greaves.  Nobody apart from those in the ground saw it though.

It was on match of the day and on YouTube 

58 minutes ago, Spanish said:

It was on match of the day and on YouTube 

I think by no-one saw it, is a tongue in cheek nobody's that bothered about it outside of Derby. Saying that I can't recall seeing it.  I assume the Match of the Day highlights and you tube clip are one and the same.  I did see a save similar to the Banks one in the Derby - Wigan FA cup match from Lee Camp. Best point blank save from an Ellington header I've seen.

Which Spurs rearing was it . There was a couple.  

On 19/06/2021 at 04:34, ziggyram59 said:

For me people saying Ronaldo is better than Maradona is like comparing a painting by Da Vinci to a 5yr olds drawing with crayons.

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

When I was working at the Stock exchange I used to see Gordon Banks quite often on the train.

On 21/06/2021 at 22:42, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

For me people saying Ronaldo is better than Maradona is like comparing a painting by Da Vinci to a 5yr olds drawing with crayons.

Which Ronaldo are we talking about here?

Either way you can’t compare players from different eras, it’s not the same game. 

There will never be a “greatest” player of all time, only of their time.

My first memory of anything is Carlos Alberto holding the World Cup aloft. I was 4.

I wish my Mum and Dad had started practising five years earlier.  They were married in 1953 for chuff's sake, what took them so long? 

I blame Scrabble.

1970 was a wonderful World Cup by all accounts and looking back, it was probably still the best ever England team.  Whoever served Gordon Banks that bottle of beer in the Guadalajara Country Club should have been arrested for crimes against humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Revie, in an attempt to get the England job earlier...

1974 was dour, but I loved 1978. From Argentine Melody to ticker tape to the black bases of goalposts, it was all just magical.  Every time I hear the drum at the start of San Jose's BBC theme music my toes start to tingle.

...oh and yes, Pele was the greatest ever.