Mexico '70 51 years on

Brammie Steve

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The current one.

No one convinces me that Maradona isn't the best player ever. Not the best human by any means, but the best player.  That performance in 86 was phenomenal and I've seen no-one repeat it yet.

It’s just impossible to say how he would get on today against faster, stronger defenders, lighter balls, better pitches.

Could Messi do the incredible things he does on dry bobbly pitches and a heavier ball?

On 21/06/2021 at 22:38, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think by no-one saw it, is a tongue in cheek nobody's that bothered about it outside of Derby. Saying that I can't recall seeing it.  I assume the Match of the Day highlights and you tube clip are one and the same.  I did see a save similar to the Banks one in the Derby - Wigan FA cup match from Lee Camp. Best point blank save from an Ellington header I've seen.

Which Spurs rearing was it . There was a couple.  

I had heard about Derby County but Mozza (aged 14) went to several matches before me.

This 5-0 win ("We'll win this one for the skipper" said Roy) was one that made me decide to try out the PopSide!

I never regretted it and have supported the Rams through thick and (more often as years go by) thin!

BTW one reason I missed this match was that it was played a day after I broke my leg in a motorbike v lorry incident! Feeble excuse I know but.....

Edited by Brammie Steve

5 hours ago, David said:

It’s just impossible to say how he would get on today against faster, stronger defenders, lighter balls, better pitches.

Could Messi do the incredible things he does on dry bobbly pitches and a heavier ball?

For me yes. In fact with his turn and speed of ball carry the lighter balls and flatter pitches would have made him better, as would the red cards for hatchet jobs who put him out the game on and off for 4 years.  The fact he was unplayable on these bobbly pitches with a heavier ball is kind of the point I'm making.

13 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

My first memory of anything is Carlos Alberto holding the World Cup aloft. I was 4.

I wish my Mum and Dad had started practising five years earlier.  They were married in 1953 for chuff's sake, what took them so long? 

I blame Scrabble.

1970 was a wonderful World Cup by all accounts and looking back, it was probably still the best ever England team.  Whoever served Gordon Banks that bottle of beer in the Guadalajara Country Club should have been arrested for crimes against humanity. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Revie, in an attempt to get the England job earlier...

1974 was dour, but I loved 1978. From Argentine Melody to ticker tape to the black bases of goalposts, it was all just magical.  Every time I hear the drum at the start of San Jose's BBC theme music my toes start to tingle.

...oh and yes, Pele was the greatest ever.

74 was dour ? Did you not see the Cruyff inspired Dutch side ? Played some fabulous football including that “turn”. 

29 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

74 was dour ? Did you not see the Cruyff inspired Dutch side ? Played some fabulous football including that “turn”. 

Saw the 9-0 of yugoslavia v Zaire. 

But the tournament was dull. Only 16 teams in those days. And South American nations consisted of players based in South America who didn't travel well. 

The semi finals I seem to recall were ruined by really bad weather. Very heavy rain in an era when pitches didn't drain.