Ford CMax instrument cluster soldering help

ColonelBlimp

Well gents, my Instrument Cluster on my Mk2 CMax  (08) has a couple of lights coming on that occasionally go off when it suits them.

I also have an engine light on all the time but I'm going to buy an ODB thingy for my laptop to read the fault codes for that.

The soldering though, I have no idea about. Does anyone here have any knowledge to do this?

This video shows what needs doing

This much longer one details the whole process.

11 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Well gents, my Instrument Cluster on my Mk2 CMax  (08) has a couple of lights coming on that occasionally go off when it suits them.

I also have an engine light on all the time but I'm going to buy an ODB thingy for my laptop to read the fault codes for that.

The soldering though, I have no idea about. Does anyone here have any knowledge to do this?

This video shows what needs doing

This much longer one details the whole process.

Have you looked on The You Tube? Amazing what you can find on there so you don’t have to ask daft questions on a social media forum.

Thinking of buying this scan tool for my car might be worth looking at make sure it’s ok for your car make, year and model. 

as for soldering a circuit board have you identified a broken soldered joint or wanting to replace a component? If just soldering a broken joint I think it’s achievable probably need a magnifying glass stand could you practise on a old circuit board get one from local tip any circuit board will do. Replacing a component would tricky though if you never done it before remember get it wrong you could short circuit the board worse still damage your ecu. Never done this to a car circuit board myself.

Or practice soldering small wires together to start of with

Edited by cstand

21 minutes ago, cstand said:

Thinking of buying this scan tool for my car might be worth looking at make sure it’s ok for your car make, year and model. 

as for soldering a circuit board have you identified a broken soldered joint or wanting to replace a component? If just soldering a broken joint I think it’s achievable probably need a magnifying glass stand could you practise on a old circuit board get one from local tip any circuit board will do. Replacing a component would tricky though if you never done it before remember get it wrong you could short circuit the board worse still damage your ecu. Never done this to a car circuit board myself.

Or practice soldering small wires together to start of with

Or

https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalogue/ford/c-max/dashboard-instrument-cluster/

Or price on up from scrap yard or ebay

Cheers.  Let me clarify.

1. I have no idea how to solder or have the equipment to do so, was hoping someone may know somebody I could employ to do it.

2. I'd prefer to keep the existing cluster as I think it holds all the info related to my car.

3. I already mentioned about buying an EBD for the engine light, that's irrelevant so maybe I should not have mentioned it. It will be one for the laptop though as I've heard the app for phone versions are a bit poo.

I use the car on a daily basis so didn't really want to send it away for repair.

Thanks @C-stand for the advice and @mozza, trawled through the Owners club before posting this. I fixed loads of stuff on my old Focus with their info but this time it seems I need skills/equipment I don't have.

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Cheers.  Let me clarify.

1. I have no idea how to solder or have the equipment to do so, was hoping someone may know somebody I could employ to do it.

2. I'd prefer to keep the existing cluster as I think it holds all the info related to my car.

3. I already mentioned about buying an EBD for the engine light, that's irrelevant so maybe I should not have mentioned it. It will be one for the laptop though as I've heard the app for phone versions are a bit poo.

I use the car on a daily basis so didn't really want to send it away for repair.

Thanks @C-stand for the advice and @mozza, trawled through the Owners club before posting this. I fixed loads of stuff on my old Focus with their info but this time it seems I need skills/equipment I don't have.

Mobile auto electrician probably best option could they attend when your car is parked at work at any time?

Edited by cstand

If it were me I'd be tanking it down the A50 and brake checking the nearest fool which would inevitably be a Beemer owner then get the write off money when they plough into your jacksey.

And throw in some sundry whiplash claims on top.

But that's just me. 

On 14/05/2021 at 09:32, mozza said:

In fairness, i joined 'Ford Owners Club Forum', saved me a bit of money with advice off there. Friendly bunch, unlike some forums..

Was a member of the Fiesta Club of Great Britain back in my cruising day and can concur that the dedicated car forums are usually really friendly for advice and help.