Relegation watch

Spanish

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

A Derby fan would not want the club relegated under almost any circumstance

I don't care what we league we play in, I'll still be a Derby fan.

I get where you're coming from, honestly I do, but with the club in its current state, and my lack of faith in those in charge, at all levels from the owner down, I don't see what difference a division makes.

If relegation lances the boil quickly and effectively, I'd take it over a long drawn out malaise.

37 minutes ago, Rev said:

I can't believe I'm about to type this.

If I had a choice between staying up, and Rooney and Co. staying in charge, or going down and they'd resign their positions, I'd embrace League One.

Mardy little toddler...

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

I don't care what we league we play in, I'll still be a Derby fan.

I get where you're coming from, honestly I do, but with the club in its current state, and my lack of faith in those in charge, at all levels from the owner down, I don't see what difference a division makes.

If relegation lances the boil quickly and effectively, I'd take it over a long drawn out malaise.

Club in its current state? Would be worse getting relegated. Oh and could be stuck down there for 10/20 years, who knows? 

Looking at the current bottom half of the table and taking teams recent form into account, I think we can say Blackburn and all the teams above them are safe. Preston could be joining the battle for staying up, if they continue in their current form up to the end of the season. They have already lost 20 league games, only Wycombe who have lost 23 have lost more. Next up for Preston is games against Norwich followed by Swansea and Brentford. If they lose all 3 of those games they could be sucked into the relegation battle. Their other fixtures are Stoke(A), Derby(H), Coventry(A), Barnsley(H) and Forest(A).

Wycombe are doomed being 12 pts off safety and a massive -36 goal diff. Wednesday now only 6pts from safety would have to turn their form around with games running out and their next 2 fixtures against Watford and Cardiff are not easy matches. Rotherham, the team that every one seems to be worrying about. Don't draw very often, face a fixture pile up, where they have 2 games a week until the end of the season. Already lost 19 games even though they have played less matches than the rest. Could they pull out of the bottom 3, well it depends on the teams above them to implode. Birmingham look the most likely to drop into Rotherham position, they have a massive -22 goal diff, but seem to fair better against teams in the bottom half in recent games and with a recent manager change could find some form. I think by the 13th of April when all the teams would have played 3 more matches and Rotherham have played one of their games in hand, we will have a clearer picture of which teams would be clear of the trap door. At the moment Preston, Forest, Huddersfield, Derby, Coventry, Birmingham, Rotherham and possibly Wednesday are the teams trying to avoid the 22nd and 23rd spot.

I think it will be Wycombe, Wednesday and Rotherham relegated.

4 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Looking at the current bottom half of the table and taking teams recent form into account, I think we can say Blackburn and all the teams above them are safe. Preston could be joining the battle for staying up, if they continue in their current form up to the end of the season. They have already lost 20 league games, only Wycombe who have lost 23 have lost more. Next up for Preston is games against Norwich followed by Swansea and Brentford. If they lose all 3 of those games they could be sucked into the relegation battle. Their other fixtures are Stoke(A), Derby(H), Coventry(A), Barnsley(H) and Forest(A).

Wycombe are doomed being 12 pts off safety and a massive -36 goal diff. Wednesday now only 6pts from safety would have to turn their form around with games running out and their next 2 fixtures against Watford and Cardiff are not easy matches. Rotherham, the team that every one seems to be worrying about. Don't draw very often, face a fixture pile up, where they have 2 games a week until the end of the season. Already lost 19 games even though they have played less matches than the rest. Could they pull out of the bottom 3, well it depends on the teams above them to implode. Birmingham look the most likely to drop into Rotherham position, they have a massive -22 goal diff, but seem to fair better against teams in the bottom half in recent games and with a recent manager change could find some form. I think by the 13th of April when all the teams would have played 3 more matches and Rotherham have played one of their games in hand, we will have a clearer picture of which teams would be clear of the trap door. At the moment Preston, Forest, Huddersfield, Derby, Coventry, Birmingham, Rotherham and possibly Wednesday are the teams trying to avoid the 22nd and 23rd spot.

I think Wednesday have to much to do as do Wycombe.  After todays latest serving of steaming turd I am absolutely convinced however, that the one who loses that game between us and Birmingham is a goner. 

41 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think Wednesday have to much to do as do Wycombe.  After todays latest serving of steaming turd I am absolutely convinced however, that the one who loses that game between us and Birmingham is a goner. 

Most people quote 50 points and you will be safe. In the last 6 seasons barring 2016/17 season there as been teams getting less than 50 points and avoiding relegation. I think there is a lot of poor teams in the Championship this season and I think 48 points will see your team avoid the bottom 3 positions. Based on that, Derby need to find 8 points (2 wins and 2 draws). You could be right about the Birmingham match being a big game for both teams. I hope this International break will be in our favour and we can get 3 pts against Luton to take the pressure off.

41 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

After you made a point of calling me out for being chief worrier, I have followed your predictions and observations with interest.

In the space of less than four weeks, it has gone from:

’We are safe and we have absolutely nothing to worry about. Nothing can go wrong. This thread will be closed soon.’

to

’Forest could get sucked in. Look at their March fixtures.’

to

‘Rotherham play thug football and are the devil’s head lice. They will surely go down.’

to

‘Birmingham will go down. No, Rotherham. No, Birmingham. No, Rotherham.’

to

‘OK, it could be any two from eight, even Preston. We need 8 points.’

We are currently on a run of one win in nine, we have chalked up zero wins and just two points and two goals scored in March with an equally tough April to follow.

We have both Huddersfield and Forest above us despite taking four points off them, and now have Coventry, Birmingham and Rotherham all closing in on us.

I wouldn’t usually go out of my way to make such a point, but perhaps now you can see why I was worried and that the concerns of myself and many others were actually valid?

At the end of the day if we beat Wednesday and Birmingham it's highly likely we stay up. Hopefully it won't even get to that. 3 points on the first game back against Luton will settle everyone down. It's still in our hands, we really shouldn't blow it from here.

38 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

At the end of the day if we beat Wednesday and Birmingham it's highly likely we stay up. Hopefully it won't even get to that. 3 points on the first game back against Luton will settle everyone down. It's still in our hands, we really shouldn't blow it from here.

I just think that people’s concerns were dismissed too quickly.

But the same happened with Cocu and people eventually saw where the supposedly negative posters like myself were coming from.

You’re right - it is in our hands and we do have games that are there to be won and that would ease any nerves.

I am sure if we beat Luton and draw at Reading, I’ll be getting stick again.

But on current form, I am struggling to see where the points are coming from with the exception of 2-3 games.

I just worry whether we have got anything left in the tank, because we have lost our way hugely in recent weeks.

If performances and results are anything to go by in March, the players and the staff seem to have thought the job was done in February and we could coast.

I guess we have two weeks to rediscover that fire.

Squeaky bum time now, chaps & chapesses!

We need 10 more points from the last 8 games, my money is on us sneaking a couple of 1-0 wins and a couple of 0-0 draws from the next 6 games and then having to sweat it out on 48 points with 2 games left and with the 'relegation fodder' teams breathing down our necks until the end of the season as we cling on by our fingertips and park the bus for the last 2 games to try to squeeze out the 2 remaining points. 

Psychologically this squad looks almost broken.  Why?

The loanees have no real incentive to bust a gut as they'll be back on the bench at their parent clubs next season.

Most of the experienced players already know or suspect that their contracts won't be renewed, so why huff and puff for a club that doesn't think they're good enough?

The young home grown players show ability, guts and energy but also naivete and fragility.

Everyone knows that come August only half of these people will be here, so where is the loyalty/solidarity/teamwork going to come from for the next 6 weeks?

I think Wazza & Mac do have the vision and experience to turn things around next season but the immediate task is formidable.  All they can offer players right now is 'jam tomorrow' - "stick with us kid, and next season we'll be back in the playoffs".  That will work for the youngsters, it has worked for CKR, and hopefully it will work for Matt Clarke, but the rest?

No one wants a relegation on their CV, but if I were a loan player I wouldn't care really, and right now we are very dependent on the loan players. 

Millwall did a job on us with 3 players on the pitch that were deemed surplus to requirements here and let go.  Players leave us and then start scoring, Malone for example.  Remember Jeff Hendrick?  A bit part player with us in the Championship, by no means assured of a start, often brought on as a sub.  Now he has been a permanent fixture for two PL clubs for several seasons.  Are Dyche and Bruce stupid managers or did we not realise just what we had?

Is it that we have changed manager too often or is it that sometimes we don't maximise the potential of players while they are here?  Or both? 

I think we will get over the line, but in mathematical terms probably not until the last day of the season.

(and cue the 'Great Escape' tune...da da......da daaaaaaa da da da...........da daaaa da da daaaa da daaaaaaaaa)

5 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Am particularly heartened to read that you relegation predictions change like the wind on a weekly basis. 

Am guessing on the final game of the season they'll change again to reflect actually who does go down. 

I think were in big trouble. Rotherham will potentially pick up points with their game in hand. Birmingham have a new manager bounce. 

It would be nice to just win three or four in a row and get well out of it. Instead it'll go down to the last game of the season. Its the Derby way make life as difficult as possible for ourselves

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

I think were in big trouble. Rotherham will potentially pick up points with their game in hand. Birmingham have a new manager bounce. 

It would be nice to just win three or four in a row and get well out of it. Instead it'll go down to the last game of the season. Its the Derby way make life as difficult as possible for ourselves

Watford 3 Birmingham 0...some bounce?

7 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Wycombe, Wednesday and either us or Brum...

2 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Squeaky bum time now, chaps & chapesses!

We need 10 more points from the last 8 games, my money is on us sneaking a couple of 1-0 wins and a couple of 0-0 draws from the next 6 games and then having to sweat it out on 48 points with 2 games left and with the 'relegation fodder' teams breathing down our necks until the end of the season as we cling on by our fingertips and park the bus for the last 2 games to try to squeeze out the 2 remaining points. 

Psychologically this squad looks almost broken.  Why?

The loanees have no real incentive to bust a gut as they'll be back on the bench at their parent clubs next season.

Most of the experienced players already know or suspect that their contracts won't be renewed, so why huff and puff for a club that doesn't think they're good enough?

The young home grown players show ability, guts and energy but also naivete and fragility.

Everyone knows that come August only half of these people will be here, so where is the loyalty/solidarity/teamwork going to come from for the next 6 weeks?

I think Wazza & Mac do have the vision and experience to turn things around next season but the immediate task is formidable.  All they can offer players right now is 'jam tomorrow' - "stick with us kid, and next season we'll be back in the playoffs".  That will work for the youngsters, it has worked for CKR, and hopefully it will work for Matt Clarke, but the rest?

No one wants a relegation on their CV, but if I were a loan player I wouldn't care really, and right now we are very dependent on the loan players. 

Millwall did a job on us with 3 players on the pitch that were deemed surplus to requirements here and let go.  Players leave us and then start scoring, Malone for example.  Remember Jeff Hendrick?  A bit part player with us in the Championship, by no means assured of a start, often brought on as a sub.  Now he has been a permanent fixture for two PL clubs for several seasons.  Are Dyche and Bruce stupid managers or did we not realise just what we had?

Is it that we have changed manager too often or is it that sometimes we don't maximise the potential of players while they are here?  Or both? 

I think we will get over the line, but in mathematical terms probably not until the last day of the season.

(and cue the 'Great Escape' tune...da da......da daaaaaaa da da da...........da daaaa da da daaaa da daaaaaaaaa)

We won’t need 50 points to stay up. 47 will probably do it, wins against Luton and Brum plus a draw elsewhere should be enough. Not that I think that is going to be easy....

Archived