Relegation watch

Spanish

39 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Why would we sell and those under contract leave? Are the revenues in league one much different to the championship? I’m guessing season tickets sales and attendances would be similar (if allowed in), Derby in league 1 would still be a big pull so advertising etc may not alter. So that leaves TV money, is there a big difference between Championship and League 1 payments ? (I’m only asking as I really don’t know and wonder if anyone else does)

Some players will not want to play in League 1.

League 1 (and 2) have different financial regulations. A maximum of 65% of the club's turnover can be spent on player wages in L1 - although it might be 85% for newly relegated sides. There isn't a limit on how much an owner can inject which would count towards that budget though

Revenue is slashed by about £8m. £4m due to payments from the PL, with the rest being TV income.

Income from sponsorship will also reduce due to less exposure - maybe £2-3m there.

Attendances almost always drop when relegated to L1 - may remain high if we're doing well. You'd expect ticket costs to be lower either way. Another £2m?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Some players will not want to play in League 1.

League 1 (and 2) have different financial regulations. A maximum of 65% of the club's turnover can be spent on player wages in L1 - although it might be 85% for newly relegated sides. There isn't a limit on how much an owner can inject which would count towards that budget though

Revenue is slashed by about £8m. £4m due to payments from the PL, with the rest being TV income.

Income from sponsorship will also reduce due to less exposure - maybe £2-3m there.

Attendances almost always drop when relegated to L1 - may remain high if we're doing well. You'd expect ticket costs to be lower either way. Another £2m?

Cheers ??, I did wonder what the differences were. Looks like we’d have to get a few Bob for Joz, Lawrence etal then 

29 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

If they’re under contract they don’t have a choice. Plus If we do go down they got us in it, they should be morally Obliged to get us out of it.

the old problem, players who don't want to be with the club don't perform well.  You just hand to them and lose them for nothing.  Better off shipping them out.  AS a Derby supporter you probably don't understand the concept of selling a player for money?

35 minutes ago, Spanish said:

strangely Marriott with his div3 record would be one I would want to keep but who know what state he is in now

True, but he's rumoured to be on £20k pw. If even remotely true, it's not a wage we can afford in L1. Presumably add-ons would be due to Peterborough if he scores/plays so many.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

True, but he's rumoured to be on £20k pw. If even remotely true, it's not a wage we can afford in L1. Presumably add-ons would be due to Peterborough if he scores/plays so many.

maybe a relegation clause?  Not worthy of a debate though

15 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Could you do a similar analysis, but the other way ie assuming we get zero points! How many points do we need to 'probably' be safe?

no.

Though the inference would be 8 points - wins against Brum and Wednesday, points against Rovers and Preston - if we went down with those results I'd eat everyone's hats.

In fact, realistically, 5 points from Rovers, Preston and Brum would be enough.

4 hours ago, nottingram said:

Genuinely don’t really mind if we do go down, and that’s not even in a trying to convince myself it’s fine way.

We would have next to no baggage in the squad so would be an excellent opportunity to regroup with a young core and hopefully come back with momentum behind us. Of course, it could go wrong if we went down, but equally we could stay up this season, not invest and go down next season.

No one really knows so in my eyes, there really is no point worrying. Ultimately, it won’t be my job to fund the difference in income.

Ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

It's a concrete monstrosity in the West Midlands. Home of The Specials and Lady Godiva. Worth avoiding if at all possible.

Hmmm fantastic road transport museum, aircraft museum not too far away, remains of a bombed cathedral with lots of moving information about WW2. And a number of wonderful pubs....... but if I can’t convince you to like Coventry I’ll leave it there. ?

4 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

It's a concrete monstrosity in the West Midlands. Home of The Specials and Lady Godiva. Worth avoiding if at all possible.

My grandad told me when they bombed Derby the news reports referred to Coventry and vice versa in order to protect Royces.

3 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Hmmm fantastic road transport museum, aircraft museum not too far away, remains of a bombed cathedral with lots of moving information about WW2. And a number of wonderful pubs....... but if I can’t convince you to like Coventry I’ll leave it there. ?

I live 15 miles away from the place. It's hideous. But each to their own. ?

brian-clough-its-only-opinion-1.gif

23 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

And for not knowing, you should be shipped off there.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The worst is a Coventry win, allowing them to overtake us and still give Rotherham the chance to go above us with a win and a draw in their two remaing games in hand.

We won’t get relegated tonight and nobody knows yet how this week will pan out.  Cov to win tonight and lose at the weekend would be best

Archived