Archie Gemmill

Parrswood

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, clips can be deceiving, but as somebody whose Dad wasn’t old enough to see his first spell, he looks the best player in those Derby teams. 

He looks the most modern as well. The one who’d be absolutely class even in today’s game.

There’s McFarland and Todd too, but I guess highlights of centre-halves weren’t a thing 50 years ago so I have literally no first-hand opinion on them.

I recently told this story on a different thread but it's worth repeating here.....

I remember hearing Cloughie when asked who was the best player he ever had saying: "Archie Gemmill thinks it's him but it wasn't. It was Roy McFarland. Archie - you're the second best".

Happy birthday Archie.

One of the finest men I have ever had the honour of standing at an adjacent urinal to.  (HT v Wolves on the Easter Monday, 2009... VIP doodah).

No idea why they called him Wee Archie.  He was actually bigger than I expected.  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Happy birthday Archie.

One of the finest men I have ever had the honour of standing at an adjacent urinal to.  (HT v Wolves on the Easter Monday, 2009... VIP doodah).

No idea why they called him Wee Archie.  He was actually bigger than I expected.  ?

Errrrrr?

2 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

His goal in the Taylor vs Clough FA Cup third round game was a thing of beauty. Still one of my favourite BBG memories. 

His goal in Mendoza v Holland 1978 was right up there with the greatest ever seen.  I don't recall ever being so excited sat watching a game on the TV, and I ain't no Scot.  (In my defence though, I was 15, and it was my first WC experience, so all excitement was heightened!)

*I won't bore people with yet another airing of the video.  It's out there, people.  

Archived