Archie Gemmill

Parrswood

Happy birthday yer wee fekir

great player in his day. I liked the early days when he would run with the ball from the centre circle to the penalty spot. Before Cloughy told him just to pass to Alan Hinton. ?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I recently told this story on a different thread but it's worth repeating here.....

I remember hearing Cloughie when asked who was the best player he ever had saying: "Archie Gemmill thinks it's him but it wasn't. It was Roy McFarland. Archie - you're the second best".

Jackie Stamps once described Roy McFarland as "The world's best centre-forward - gone to waste".

The Scots created a dance based on his approach work to THAT sublime goal against Holland in '78!

Someone painted the scoreline vs Forest on the BBG gates after his debut. It was there for ages.

£60,000 was a lot of money in 1970 but peanuts compared to Archie's value to the Rams! (£815,000 today)

If only we could get a 5 ft 5" midfielder like him for the next seven years!

Fantastic player. A low centre of gravity a la Maradona. Midfield genius. And a real leader. What a team we once had.

I  thought he had 400 appearances for us, but Wiki has it in the low 300s. I feel terrible for him and us that he had his brief spell down the road. Pleased for him and us that he came home to finish his playing career.

On 24/03/2021 at 21:02, Eddie said:

Jackie Stamps once described Roy McFarland as "The world's best centre-forward - gone to waste".

Early in my career I was a visiting officer in Osmaston.

Many's the time I'd see a poor soul struggling round the streets on crutches.

It was our Roy ......... "groin strain" sounded fairly inocuous but must have been catastrophic for such a great player!

NB Later in the day I'd spot Cloughie.... only he used a silver Merc!

Archived