Things you could say as a football commentator and in bed.

sage

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I was going to say something about the grass on the pitch but I don't want to be banned. 

Reminds me of previous conversations about the phrases that a particular type of man uses for "laughs"/to show off his pretend virility.

"If there is grass on the wicket!" was one that was used regularly. As well as willingness to commit assault, the analogy is back to front. If there is grass on the cricket wicket, it's not really ready for play. 

Also the phrase "you don't look at the mantelpiece whilst you are stoking the fire". In this one, the simile is accurate, but the analogy regularly doesn't work as the guy has a good chance of looking directly at the mantlepiece while "stoking".

"Any hole's goal" is basically repressed homosexuality.

And anyone using the one about leaving school at 3.30 probably need putting on a register. 

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Reminds me of previous conversations about the phrases that a particular type of man uses for "laughs"/to show off his pretend virility.

"If there is grass on the wicket!" was one that was used regularly. As well as willingness to commit assault, the analogy is back to front. If there is grass on the cricket wicket, it's not really ready for play. 

Also the phrase "you don't look at the mantelpiece whilst you are stoking the fire". In this one, the simile is accurate, but the analogy regularly doesn't work as the guy has a good chance of looking directly at the mantlepiece while "stoking".

"Any hole's goal" is basically repressed homosexuality.

And anyone using the one about leaving school at 3.30 probably need putting on a register. 

I daren't mention anything about a clock.

Archived