Just a throught do go into efl paint troupe compation for our under 23

B4ev6is

I know been a while since we were in the efl paint troupy compation to give like of Bobby duncan jack station a chance of against league one and league two against there first team but giving them that experance it could be that time against test our young players.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I know been a while since we were in the efl paint troupy compation to give like of Bobby duncan jack station a chance of against league one and league two against there first team but giving them that experance it could be that time against test our young players.

I would play Clarke in the paint competition too. It would be good to see a decent Matt finish.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I would play Clarke in the paint competition too. It would be good to see a decent Matt finish.

What so funny it gives young lads fatal first team experance and a chance for them a enter a compation stand a chance of winning.

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Only clubs in the Prem can put u23s into the competition I believe. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Due to the size of the squads, I believe we opted not to enter

I thought we could, im sure we had in the past.

Would have been a good idea IMO, but then i dont have to manage the squad sizes.

8 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

What so funny it gives young lads fatal first team experance and a chance for them a enter a compation stand a chance of winning.

No need to become emulsional B4 it was only a paint joke. 

3 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I thought we could, im sure we had in the past.

Would have been a good idea IMO, but then i dont have to manage the squad sizes.

The group games took place in the early months of the season when I recall a number of our U23s were with the first team on a regular basis. First team comes before any U23 game so the likes of Stretton still wouldn't have got a game.

9 out of the 16 U23 sides finished bottom of their group, a number of which which up zero points. 

1 minute ago, tinman said:

It’s premier league clubs U23’s that play in it plus the best placed u23 team from the championship or something like that. 

16 U23 sides can enter. PL clubs with Cat 1 academies have priority but can decline (such as Everton, Spurs, Palace and Burnley this season). 1 spot was spare and they chose Norwich to fill the gap, presumably because they were the highest placed first team last season?

To be honest, I expected invites to be based on U23 league performances. With that not being the case, I'm not surprised a number of U23 sides struggle in the competition. Norwich and Fulham came 2nd and 3rd bottom of Div 2 last season, with only Sunderland below them. Villa, Newcastle, West Brom and Wolves are still in the 2nd division.

More and more PL sides are stepping up to Cat 1, so it makes it even less likely we get to compete in the future without earning promotion.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I thought it was a cat1 academy thing rather than being a prem team's u23 that qualifies them for the trophy group stages?

PL sides with Cat 1 academies (19 of the current 20 are Cat 1). If enough decline entry, then the extra spots go to Championship sides.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Either way, our good u23s are in the first squad these days.

Correct. But we're still 7th in the league, ahead of Liverpool, Arsenal and 12 other PL sides.

10 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

That's right, kill em once they have played for the first team. And folks moan about selling em cheap anorl ?

Archived