Best Songs in Alphabetical Order, with Minefield Rules (Last of the Best Song Threads)

sage

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

From my cold dead hand...

I  went to the Bowie musical Lazarus a few times, which had a main character called Valentine who was a bit of a psychopath! This song is very undercooked here by Bowie, but comes with the subtle anti-NRA message. But it was spectacular when performed live on stage.

Edited by Carl Sagan

21 hours ago, Rev said:

Can’t help wondering if that song was biographical, and written about Sam Cooke.

womack married Cooke’s widow only 2 months after he died. Sam Cooke was shot at close range after he was robbed during an unsuccessful attempt to get his leg over. Not his day was it. He left a wife, two kids, and a beautiful Ferrari which was later bought by Denis Wilson of the Beach Boys. Bobby Womack’s marriage to Cooke’s widow collapsed after she allegedly discovered he was in a sexual relationship with her / Cooke’s daughter Linda. Linda subsequently married Womack’s brother and became half of the pop duo Womack and Womack.

5F114784-E21E-4732-886B-0A91A128804A.thumb.jpeg.61ceedde05d1db8b4c980fb4ea3b0fd9.jpeg

womack and Womack....

i’ve been waiting to post this so forgive the W W

42 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Can’t help wondering if that song was biographical, and written about Sam Cooke.

womack married Cooke’s widow only 2 months after he died. Sam Cooke was shot at close range after he was robbed during an unsuccessful attempt to get his leg over. Not his day was it. He left a wife, two kids, and a beautiful Ferrari which was later bought by Denis Wilson of the Beach Boys. Bobby Womack’s marriage to Cooke’s widow collapsed after she allegedly discovered he was in a sexual relationship with her / Cooke’s daughter Linda. Linda subsequently married Womack’s brother and became half of the pop duo Womack and Womack.

5F114784-E21E-4732-886B-0A91A128804A.thumb.jpeg.61ceedde05d1db8b4c980fb4ea3b0fd9.jpeg

womack and Womack....

i’ve been waiting to post this so forgive the W W

Thanks for the background.

I've been looking recently for reading material, such as biographies, of soul artists such as Sam Cooke, Otis, Sam and Dave, Marvin, Kim Weston, Billie Holliday etc, the bits and bobs I've read are really interesting.

Any recommendations?

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Thanks for the background.

I've been looking recently for reading material, such as biographies, of soul artists such as Sam Cooke, Otis, Sam and Dave, Marvin, Kim Weston, Billie Holliday etc, the bits and bobs I've read are really interesting.

Any recommendations?

I’ve not read any to be honest. Other than Dusty Springfield’s, which wasn’t great.
I think Sam Cooke’s family have written a book which could be interesting. They claimed that he had been set up and the whole thing was a conspiracy. He was conned but the idea that it was a music industry conspiracy is surely not credible? There is a story to tell as the death of this ‘son of a preacher man’ was never investigated properly. The Motel clerk literally got away with murder. The ‘girl’ stole thousands of dollars off him, plus nearly all of his clothes and wallet. Yet none of that was ever found despite the Police turning up within minutes. The Ferrari was left with the engine still running. That should have been a clue that this was no ordinary downtown homicide but the women’s stories seem to have been taken as gospel.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I’ve not read any to be honest. Other than Dusty Springfield’s, which wasn’t great.
I think Sam Cooke’s family have written a book which could be interesting. They claimed that he had been set up and the whole thing was a conspiracy. He was conned but the idea that it was a music industry conspiracy is surely not credible? There is a story to tell as the death of this ‘son of a preacher man’ was never investigated properly. The Motel clerk literally got away with murder. The ‘girl’ stole thousands of dollars off him, plus nearly all of his clothes and wallet. Yet none of that was ever found despite the Police turning up within minutes. The Ferrari was left with the engine still running. That should have been a clue that this was no ordinary downtown homicide but the women’s stories seem to have been taken as gospel.

I've just been reading on Wiki. 

Bobby Womack marries Sam Cookes widow, they then divorce after he sexually abuses the daughter, who herself goes on to marry his brother, who himself was married to Mary Wells until he found out a different Womack brother was having an affair with her!