The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

I am an international footballer. What should I do if I come into close contact with someone who has COVID?

Public Heath England: You should self isolate for a minimum of 10 working days. Take lateral tests every third day to check you do not have the virus. If you do have the virus, and your symptoms get worse get advice from NHS 111 or your GP. Do not go to a hospital without prior approval for attendance.

Public Health Scotland. If you have just drawn against the auld enemy have a good team hug in the changing rooms, and enjoy a few wee swigs from the Team’s whisky bottle. Eat heroin laced Mars bars, deep fried ideally. Have a good dance with some mates, but avoid putting swords on the ground, and don’t wear skirts. Tell all your playing colleagues that they must not admit to have ever having been within 2 yards of you in your lifetime.

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Come on buddy, if we're going to have to endure another round of your 'global Covid conspiracy' theories, whereby every country systematically brings it's own economy to it knees, crashes stock markets and reduces both the public and private sectors to rubble, would you mind at least giving us less enlightened folk the benefit of a credible reason for this cunning masterplan? Something other than some vague, 'follow the money' schtick? Is Jeff Bezos actually Megamind? Will there be a Scooby Doo type reveal...

Also, please don't try to assign upper strata levels of intelligence to the likes of Johnson, Gove, Patel, Hancock and the other ministers purportedly managing the Covid crisis. They are rank second-raters. I'm sorry, but if your whole premise is based on ministers like the terminally stupid Priti Patel being some sort of criminal and conspiratorial masterminds, I'm calling ********. The reason these people appear not to have a clue is precisely because they don't. At best they do their master's bidding.

By way of an example, here's a gentle reminder as to the depth of our current Home Secretary's critical thinking capabilities. 

That clip was from 2011.

In 2016 she claimed she was not in favour of capital punishment but there is no record of any explanation for the change of view. 

Of course she's also the progeny of Indian born parents who emigrated from Uganda to the UK to run a corner shop. Precisely the sort of people that the country now does not need and would be denied entry, according to priti patels new rules. 

The woman is beyond scorn. Third rate thick as mince is about as close as I can do. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Of course she's also the progeny of Indian born parents who emigrated from Uganda to the UK

That's a polite way of saying they fled from a wave of Ugandan nationalism which led to Idi Amin's ethnic cleansing of the state

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So two footballers spend time with an opposition player after the game who subsequently tested positive for Covid. The said player also spends time after the game in the changing rooms, on the coach and in the hotel with his own team. The two opposition players now have to self isolate for 10 days although they have had negative Covid tests. However the players from his own team who he spent time with don’t have to self isolate?

Nobody now surely can still be taking these restrictions seriously? 

I got fed up of this long long time ago now I think they should just end freaking lockdown and get rid bloody masks and go back to old freaking normal.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just to try and bring the thread back to Coronavirus, I thought alot of you wanted the borders closed last year but are now unhappy that Priti Patel wants to do it...make your minds up

Isnt there something of a difference between closing borders as a precaution when you are in the early stages with no immunisation, knowledge of virulence, testing etc

.. And now, when we are able to tailor the action we might want to take down at the individual level? 

Just seems about 15 months late, and is such a blunt instrument it's been completely overtaken by events. 

7 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Isnt there something of a difference between closing borders as a precaution when you are in the early stages with no immunisation, knowledge of virulence, testing etc

.. And now, when we are able to tailor the action we might want to take down at the individual level? 

Just seems about 15 months late, and is such a blunt instrument it's been completely overtaken by events. 

Yes and there is also a difference between a serious comment and a joke....

Just trying to lighten the mood before the thread descended into a Conservative bashing session AGAIN.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The discussion was regarding asylum seekers nothing to do with borders in relation to Covid.

No it wasn't a discussion. It was just quoted once as a further example (as was the position on capital punishment) used to illustrate why our home secretary, in charge of our border policy, is unfit for that role. 

In response to your "joke" (?) about the reactions to our said border policy. 

Unless you're saying that the Covid-19 border policy is not the responsibility of the home secretary in which case whose responsibility is it? 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No it wasn't a discussion. It was just quoted once as a further example (as was the position on capital punishment) used to illustrate why our home secretary, in charge of our border policy, is unfit for that role. 

In response to your "joke" (?) about the reactions to our said border policy. 

Unless you're saying that the Covid-19 border policy is not the responsibility of the home secretary in which case whose responsibility is it? 

So the Home Secretary's views on capital punishment are relevant to our border policy? 

On 18/06/2021 at 07:27, Tamworthram said:

I’ve not seen them but what are the statistical risks of illness/death from the vaccine v illness/death from the virus?

I suspect they would significantly support taking the vaccine. So, you’d not only be “putting up with the covid itself” you’d be accepting the risks it brings above that of taking the vaccine.

I know covid deaths and hospitalisations are very low but, how often do you hear about deaths and hospitalisations from taking the vaccine?

Personally, I’d  much rather take the incredibly low risk of illness (apart from a day or two of a bad head) and death from taking the vaccine than the very low risk of illness (short and long term) and death if I catch the virus. Not to mention the risk of passing it on to friends and family if I did catch it?

Maybe I’m biased or maybe I’m slightly more informed but, I’ve mentioned before that my daughter has a degree in pharmacology and used to work for AZ in early drugs trials and my brother in law has a PHD in chemistry and used to work in research for Pfizer so, they know a little more about such things than the rest of us. (Neither currently work either company so they have no vested interest in promoting the vaccine).

Depends on your age. At my age of 22, the vaccine is more risky than covid. In the end I'll likely take it due to severe pressure, I've still not seen a good reason for it other than getting my family members to leave me alone. Even though the vaccine isn't proven to stop the spread, and the vaccine is more risky than covid, but go figure. 

11 hours ago, Coconut said:

There's a big difference between

a) waking up to nonsense (of which there is plenty), and

b) getting frustrated that things have gone on as long as they have, looking to lash out but in concentrating where your fists are aiming forgetting to check your footing and subsequently falling down a rabbit-hole of counter-nonsense, having your emotions played on by  any old ******** 'opinion-dressed-as-news' article that seeks to stoke the fires of discontent, and partaking in social media echo-chambers where you get dragged deeper and deeper into giving credence to conspiracy theories.

Obviously I'm not seeking to tar everyone who's unhappy (who's happy, exactly?)  with the b) brush because that would be a gross generalisation, and most people (I assume, I hope) are smarter than that, but there are plenty of people who've well and truly been suckered by the very same brand of ******** they'll tell everyone else is the 'truth' they've closed their eyes to.

Very few people are b. Most people have credible grievances with the fact that ''follow the science'' has turned into ''follow the really poor quality modelling which will inevitably be massively wrong in one weeks time''. You say you're not seeking to tar everyone who is unhappy with the same brush, yet are clearly pushing that way with your post, so who are you kidding? The amount of moonbat conspiracy theory types is a tiny fraction. Not worth bringing up, yet you do, in a way that I assume is to discredit legitimate arguments. 

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Depends on your age. At my age of 22, the vaccine is more risky than covid. In the end I'll likely take it due to severe pressure, I've still not seen a good reason for it other than getting my family members to leave me alone. Even though the vaccine isn't proven to stop the spread, and the vaccine is more risky than covid, but go figure. 

Genuine question here...how is the vaccine more risky than Covid? What metric are you using to measure it?

Im in the same boat as you in as much that I had the vaccine for someone else's wishes rather than my own.