The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I might bring the Hampshire variant with me now., However I could still have the London variant still in my system from my time there.. I did go to Cornwall last week as well.. He’s got no chance really has he ?

Don’t you mean the hamster variant? You know ,the one that keeps us all on the wheel endlessly running and getting nowhere?

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Im surprised that any of you actually still believe that @ariotofmyownposts are actually Covid related and not just thinly veiled policital posts!

In fact they arent even veiled, 4 out of the last 6 posts have been direct attacks on Boris Johnson.

Haven't you got some media outlet to be furious about? We all know they are the real problem!

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not saying that. With a clear and organised system, we should be able to quickly stop/quarantine arrivals from other countries when/if a dangerous variant emerges. Granted, the current regime seem incapable of putting this in place, but hopefully we'll have more competent leadership soon.

The main risk in the uk is internal now. We really don't want another winter disaster, both economically and medically because we had to open everything up in 25th June instead of a few weeks later.

I would say our main risk is external.. However I am interested in what difference a couple of weeks make?

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I would say our main risk is external.. However I am interested in what difference a couple of weeks make?

Because everyone will have had at least one dose of the vaccine by the end of July. A month of zero restrictions could lead to a huge spike in cases again, and increase the chance of more variants.

I really hope cases drop again now and are back down to nearly nothing by end of June. But if they increase rapidly until then, I imagine we'll see some restrictions remain.

(Applies thin veil)

That decision to allow people from India to keep coming to the UK, but not from Pakistan or Bangladesh seems like another dire decision. Guess we had to keep Modi sweet though. Nationalist leaders don't take kindly to being snubbed because of science.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Because everyone will have had at least one dose of the vaccine by the end of July. A month of zero restrictions could lead to a huge spike in cases again, and increase the chance of more variants.

I really hope cases drop again now and are back down to nearly nothing by end of June. But if they increase rapidly until then, I imagine we'll see some restrictions remain.

(Applies thin veil)

That decision to allow people from India to keep coming to the UK, but not from Pakistan or Bangladesh seems like another dire decision. Guess we had to keep Modi sweet though. Nationalist leaders don't take kindly to being snubbed because of science.

I actually see the Indian variant as being a sort of positive if that is possible.. People in that culture have had a huge wake up and are now getting the jab.. It amazes me that an Indian variant has been so long coming tbf.

My point still stands about the affects on the younger generations that have not been vaccinated yet, little or no problems with them. They cannot be the driver here. In fact they, more than most, wAnt to live their lives to the fullest.. Some have a small window to experience a lot of things before responsibilities take effect., They don’t want us nannying them. Let them and us live..

Edited by Angry Ram

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Haven't you got some media outlet to be furious about? We all know they are the real problem!

Yeah I am still really angry with the way the media have behaved throughout the pandemic but I've made the point, no need to keep mentioning it in every post.

I've never said they are the real problem though and have been very critical of the Government when I think they have made mistakes, I find that is more objective than just jumping on every decision they make as a way to attack Boris Johnson (who I actually think has been a terrible leader throughout the pandemic).

11 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I actually see the Indian variant as being a sort of positive if that is possible.. People in that culture have had a huge wake up and are now getting the jab.. It amazes me that an Indian variant has been so long coming tbf.

My point still stands about the affects on the younger generations that have not been vaccinated yet, little or no problems with them. They cannot be the driver here. In fact they, more than most, wAnt to live their lives to the fullest.. Some have a small window to experience a lot of things before responsibilities take effect., They don’t want us nannying them. Let them and us live..

I get your point, but my point isn't really about protecting them. It's about protecting all of us. 

It's the variants that may emerge if we give the virus the chance to spread again through the final 10 million or so unvaccinated adults. And a virus that has already mutated into this more transmissible variant.

We should be able to model the risk and understand what we should do. Cummings testimony has shown us there is little guarantee of this being listened too.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I am still really angry with the way the media have behaved throughout the pandemic but I've made the point, no need to keep mentioning it in every post.

I've never said they are the real problem though and have been very critical of the Government when I think they have made mistakes, I find that is more objective than just jumping on every decision they make as a way to attack Boris Johnson (who I actually think has been a terrible leader throughout the pandemic).

John became Primeminister under pretty unique circumstances. I don't think many people who voted for him imagined he would be any good. I don't think anyone thought he could be this bad though. The picture Cummings painted was chaotic incompetence.

Under normal circumstances there would probably be a leadership challenge now, but there are few people who could stand. Maybe Sunak?

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

John became Primeminister under pretty unique circumstances. I don't think many people who voted for him imagined he would be any good. I don't think anyone thought he could be this bad though. The picture Cummings painted was chaotic incompetence.

Under normal circumstances there would probably be a leadership challenge now, but there are few people who could stand. Maybe Sunak?

Is this the same Cummings that we were told was a bare faced liar 12 months ago? Amazing how eager some are to hang on his every word now!

Its also noticeable that alot of gone quiet on the comparisons with other countries now that the other countries have had their third wave of infections.

Remember when Germany were the gold standard in track and trace for Europe?

Pretty much all they are left with now are 2 countries out in the middle of nowhere and the middle eastern countries who have had experience of pandemics and are used to walking round wearing masks.

53 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I fear another mini lockdown, mainly so the government can say they acted swiftly to fight the Indian variant.  Even though we probably don’t need one, but they can then say, “Arh but we did act swiftly in June 2021!” At the enquiry in 2030.

Would be disastrous for the Goverment.

We were told that the lifting of restrictions was irreversible. 

Protect the NHS.

Data not dates.

People do remember these slogans.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I get your point, but my point isn't really about protecting them. It's about protecting all of us. 

It's the variants that may emerge if we give the virus the chance to spread again through the final 10 million or so unvaccinated adults. And a virus that has already mutated into this more transmissible variant.

We should be able to model the risk and understand what we should do. Cummings testimony has shown us there is little guarantee of this being listened too.

I get where you are coming from but the vulnerable would have had their chance of vaccination by now. 
Model this, model that, it’s a bloody industry now. 500,000 dead to no dead. Tell me what is a good model? I would suggest it would be the one that supports a particular stance taken. 
I ain’t got time to bleed. 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sunak? What the guy did to those millions he made ineligible for furlough payments after refusing to move an arbitrary cut off date is still an absolute disgrace.

And the Eat Out to Help Out scheme which caused a spike in the Covid cases wasn't the cleverest move either. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Sunak? What the guy did to those millions he made ineligible for furlough payments after refusing to move an arbitrary cut off date is still an absolute disgrace.

And the Eat Out to Help Out scheme which caused a spike in the Covid cases wasn't the cleverest move either. 

I'm not saying he is in anyway great. But just look at the others lot. The rest of the cabinet come across of hopeless too. Sunak may have well got things wrong, but he as least doesn't come across as hapless.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is this the same Cummings that we were told was a bare faced liar 12 months ago? Amazing how eager some are to hang on his every word now!

Its also noticeable that alot of gone quiet on the comparisons with other countries now that the other countries have had their third wave of infections.

Remember when Germany were the gold standard in track and trace for Europe?

Pretty much all they are left with now are 2 countries out in the middle of nowhere and the middle eastern countries who have had experience of pandemics and are used to walking round wearing masks.

Cummings was clearly lying last summer. But these latest revelations include multiple people and sounded much more credible. No one seems to have come out yet and said they are untrue.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Cummings was clearly lying last summer. But these latest revelations include multiple people and sounded much more credible. No one seems to have come out yet and said they are untrue.

They sound more credible? Are you sure you don't mean it doesn't just sound more like you want to hear?

Not sure he even said much that the general public didn't already know did he?

The stories would have been much more credible had they been said at the time.

I think to many they just look like the barbs of a bitter man.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

There in lies your problem , yourself and others have decided protecting themselves ( fear based) is them protecting all of us ,pretending they are on some moral high ground , there’s plenty who believe we are being over protected and don’t want you protecting us anymore thanks ??‍♂️

They were all happy to lie along with him and defend him to the hilt last year though ,,, so my guess is ,,,,, good luck making any judgement on who is telling porkies , when they are telling them and who and what about??‍♂️, seems to me your leaning to believing him when it suits?

What all these people have said is that they don't know for sure (the data isn't in yet). So choose who you believe. I believe that the vaccines work and enough people will have been vaccinated to stop any large numbers of hospitalisations. Time to get those other people into hospital.