The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

3 hours ago, Archied said:

The emergence of omicron will stop that point being put to the real test of time but that wasn’t the point I was answering to as well you know ,the point was vaccine reducing or stopping spread ??‍♂️

I am glad you agree vaccine is a personal choice and not the moral obligation to protect others as it was painted and is still being painted in other countries ?

You said "...the vaccines were only effective for 8 weeks".

I basically refuted that - there were always two principal objectives - to save lives and to reduce hospitalisations. In that, they have succeeded admirably and continue to be so.

Anyway, you have your wish now - no more restrictions of any form whatsoever from a fortnight's time. You are correct that Omicron is a bit of a game-changer, but the most predictable thing about viruses is their inherent unpredictability. If the next mutation to emerge becomes dominant (the more people who contract the virus, the more chances there are of mutations), let's hope it's even more benign.

It will be interesting to see how the removal of all restrictions and pretty well all guidelines pans out. As I stated many times, the pandemic has very much followed the way the 1918-1920 influenza pandemic progressed - the one fundamental difference being the fact that, this time, it took just 13 weeks to develop a vaccine, and just 3 times as long as that to roll it out. It took 15 years to develop the first influenza vaccine.

I've never suggested that vaccines should be mandatory - however, I do think that consideration for others, especially with respect to mask-wearing, and even more especially if you are unwell, is not to be sneezed at (did you see what I did there?). In South East Asian countries, if you are ill (e.g. you have a cold), then you wear a mask out of politeness when out and about - it's not a lot to ask really. Will that happen here? I think we both know the answer to that.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

You said "...the vaccines were only effective for 8 weeks".

I basically refuted that - there were always two principal objectives - to save lives and to reduce hospitalisations. In that, they have succeeded admirably and continue to be so.

Anyway, you have your wish now - no more restrictions of any form whatsoever from a fortnight's time. You are correct that Omicron is a bit of a game-changer, but the most predictable thing about viruses is their inherent unpredictability. If the next mutation to emerge becomes dominant (the more people who contract the virus, the more chances there are of mutations), let's hope it's even more benign.

It will be interesting to see how the removal of all restrictions and pretty well all guidelines pans out. As I stated many times, the pandemic has very much followed the way the 1918-1920 influenza pandemic progressed - the one fundamental difference being the fact that, this time, it took just 13 weeks to develop a vaccine, and just 3 times as long as that to roll it out. It took 15 years to develop the first influenza vaccine.

I've never suggested that vaccines should be mandatory - however, I do think that consideration for others, especially with respect to mask-wearing, and even more especially if you are unwell, is not to be sneezed at (did you see what I did there?). In South East Asian countries, if you are ill (e.g. you have a cold), then you wear a mask out of politeness when out and about - it's not a lot to ask really. Will that happen here? I think we both know the answer to that.

The point being debated was the demonisation of anyone not having the vaccine because they were the ones spreading the virus and the ludicrous statement that no one ever said the vaccine stopped you catching and spreading the virus which I’m sure stive will swerve and keep his head down for a bit rather than admit he was talking rubbish and goalpost moving yet again?

11 hours ago, Archied said:

Oh dear stive ,,, nobody ever said errrrrrrrrrm , just remind me where you put those goalpost again????

Hmm - i guess I should have said nobody credible, and certainly none of the vaccine manufacturers. Clearly these people are talking crap - but then they are American, so that's hardly a surprise ?

11 hours ago, Archied said:

If you mean had any effect on stopping or cutting down the number of people testing positive for covid then I believe none or next to no effect

No that's not what I mean - I meant exactly what I asked. 

Do you believe that the vaccines have had zero effect? If not - what effect(s) do you think they have had?

I don't want to know what effects you do think the vaccines have had - I want to know if you concede that they have had some effects - for example they have greatly reduced the severity of cases in people, as clearly shown in the hospitalisation/death figures

But I guess you won't answer - will just have another rant about something tangential

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hmm - i guess I should have said nobody credible, and certainly none of the vaccine manufacturers. Clearly these people are talking crap - but then they are American, so that's hardly a surprise ?

No that's not what I mean - I meant exactly what I asked. 

Do you believe that the vaccines have had zero effect? If not - what effect(s) do you think they have had?

I don't want to know what effects you do think the vaccines have had - I want to know if you concede that they have had some effects - for example they have greatly reduced the severity of cases in people, as clearly shown in the hospitalisation/death figures

But I guess you won't answer - will just have another rant about something tangential

Goal post move alert?, but in answer to your swerve question before anybody digs out any credible British clips regards the vaccine or digs out any of your older posts,

the figures APPEAR to show vaccines have reduced deaths in those vaccinated but would consider , better knowledge on how to treat covid , a lot of people vulnerable to it having been struck down with it in the first wave including the ludicrous policy on putting untested elderly in care homes, more light shone on methods of counting deaths from covid , timescale and omicron,

just for the record you’ve NEVER claimed people refusing the vaccine were selfishly putting others at risk by catching and spreading it ?

if showing you talking rubbish constitutes a rant then hands here?

Edited by Archied

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agree with all that Eddie.

I do believe my parents generation knew this - they always carried a handkerchief to sneeze into, yes it would have got a bit grotty but it was theirs to be grotty and taken home to be washed.

47 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Sigh - like most posters, I give up at this point. You consistently show yourself unable to have a sensible debate 

Best of luck Archie

Standard response when you paint yourself into a corner , fauchi and Biden not credible ?

just an answer to the original how much does being vaccinated cut down spread would have done but so many twists and turns from there should cover tracks?

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Hooray the nation can go back to work, even when they are ill.

Can't see it causing any problems with their fellow workers when they are being coughed and sneezed over.

Blame the piss poor SSP for that, over the years we’ve been programmed to go to work when Ill and use it as some kind of badge of honour. “Ahhhh it’s only a bit of a cold, I never miss work” 

21 hours ago, Archied said:

just an answer to the original how much does being vaccinated cut down spread would have done but so many twists and turns from there should cover tracks?

It doesn't matter though, does it?!. You and a few others on here only deal in absolutes. It could reduce the spread by 99% and you would still be against it because it doesn't stop it.

Even if it's 50%, it's stopping half the people from catching it.

On 10/02/2022 at 11:37, Archied said:

Standard response when you paint yourself into a corner , fauchi and Biden not credible ?

You keep believing that we all stop arguing with you because you "won", if it helps

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

You keep believing that we all stop arguing with you because you "won", if it helps

There are no winners in this sxxt show ?‍♂️
Still nice to know fauchi and Biden who are desperate to vaccinate all of the USA are not credible ???

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Either that or you banned everyone with a different opinion to you 

Complaining about censorship, on a public forum openly, without anyone stopping you from having your say? How are you posting? 

The amount of people posting things I vehemently disagree with in here, I think clearly its not true anyone is banned for having an opinion.