The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I assume you're talking to me as I posted the tweet...

I have never disgreed with the vaccine - just the mandating of the vaccine/passports.   Neither am I desperately promoting other medical interventions - just sharing new information. 

If you are asking me why other people might be championing it, I guess some have weighed up their risk/reward with any long term consequences but if they then get a bad dose of covid that scale would tip the other way. 

Given that the double vaxxed are still getting ill and dying (albeit in much lower numbers) regardless of vaccination status I personally think its one more tool in the toolbox ? 

Fully agree the more tools, from vaccines to masks, we have available to defeat this virus the better. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I’m pretty sure I won’t get killed or badly injured not wearing a mask as I’m fully vaccinated. 
The seat belt analogy is so poor, if you wear a seat belt do you also wear a crash helmet? I’m guessing not 

I don't understand your reluctance to wear a mask. A mask isn't just primarily a protection for the wearer, it also protects those around them. Just like when a person sneezes, they hold a tissue or handkerchief to their mouth and nose, not for their own benefit but to stop spreading germs to those nearby.   So while you may be happy, after being vaccinated, that you could survive catching covid. There may be other around you, who are also vaccinated but may not survive as well as you, if they contract the virus. 

59 minutes ago, Archied said:

As humans it has been fundamental that we communicate through facial expressions, the seatbelt analogy is extremely off base in fact nothing like each other, 

ive never seen a child be afraid of anybody wearing a seat belt , the mask instils the idea other human s are a danger to us / them

Well I for one am sick of seeing kids running around screaming in terror because people are wearing masks.

Be careful because now you're stepping into my area of expertise when it comes to body language and communication and you clearly know nothing about it.

Voice tonality, inflection, cadence, tone etc are super important with communication, !,000 x more important than seeing the other persons mouth, which is almost academic presuming you're not deaf.

Body position, angle of head, use of hands and general stance are also infinitely more important in how we judge a situation as to whether it poses a threat or not. Although I realise you never mentioned danger.

And we have something called eyes, that are much more important than the mouth is, although in genuine people they work together. 

Not being able to see a persons mouth does not necessarily impact on the ability to communicate in any meaningful sense, unless somebody actually wants it to.

Go and check out the work of Paul Ekman, especially his book, Emotions Revealed, although there are aspects that are somewhat in doubt now, especially certain expressions not crossing cultures.

Amy Cuddy has done some good stuff including an interesting Ted Talk too. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

ive never seen a child be afraid of anybody wearing a seat belt , the mask instils the idea other human s are a danger to us / them

I think you may be projecting there. Masks don't scare me, nor anyone I know (of all ages)

Did you have a bad experience at the dentists as a child?

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I’m pretty sure I won’t get killed or badly injured not wearing a mask as I’m fully vaccinated. 
The seat belt analogy is so poor, if you wear a seat belt do you also wear a crash helmet? I’m guessing not 

No, but the person you spray your sputum over might.

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, but the person you spray your sputum over might.

Or might not, haven’t the majority had the vaccine that prevents any serious outcomes? Or do we live like this forever Eddie?. 

52 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I don't understand your reluctance to wear a mask. A mask isn't just primarily a protection for the wearer, it also protects those around them. Just like when a person sneezes, they hold a tissue or handkerchief to their mouth and nose, not for their own benefit but to stop spreading germs to those nearby.   So while you may be happy, after being vaccinated, that you could survive catching covid. There may be other around you, who are also vaccinated but may not survive as well as you, if they contract the virus

Simply and honestly because I don’t want to (this may be seen as selfish, but I see being forced to is also) I haven’t had to wear one for the other years I’ve been on Earth (apart from in the workplace). I’ve had the jabs, that’s enough for me. If others want to wear them, social distance, live alone inside forever etc, then I’m ok with that and would never tell anybody to do anything they didn’t want too, but I expect the same back. 

On to your last point, then what’s the point in the vaccine? Same question I posed to @Eddie Do you think we should carry on like this forever? 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I don't understand your reluctance to wear a mask. A mask isn't just primarily a protection for the wearer, it also protects those around them. Just like when a person sneezes, they hold a tissue or handkerchief to their mouth and nose, not for their own benefit but to stop spreading germs to those nearby.   So while you may be happy, after being vaccinated, that you could survive catching covid. There may be other around you, who are also vaccinated but may not survive as well as you, if they contract the virus. 

So am I correct in understanding that you believe everyone should wear masks, in all settings and all of the time?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Well I for one am sick of seeing kids running around screaming in terror because people are wearing masks.

Be careful because now you're stepping into my area of expertise when it comes to body language and communication and you clearly know nothing about it.

Voice tonality, inflection, cadence, tone etc are super important with communication, !,000 x more important than seeing the other persons mouth, which is almost academic presuming you're not deaf.

Body position, angle of head, use of hands and general stance are also infinitely more important in how we judge a situation as to whether it poses a threat or not. Although I realise you never mentioned danger.

And we have something called eyes, that are much more important than the mouth is, although in genuine people they work together. 

Not being able to see a persons mouth does not necessarily impact on the ability to communicate in any meaningful sense, unless somebody actually wants it to.

Go and check out the work of Paul Ekman, especially his book, Emotions Revealed, although there are aspects that are somewhat in doubt now, especially certain expressions not crossing cultures.

Amy Cuddy has done some good stuff including an interesting Ted Talk too. 

Well you really don’t know or are ignoring the impact masks have had on children , masks do not just cover the mouth as you try to portray  it , we are mandated FACE COVERINGS and these face coverings / masks cover everything from under the chin to just under the eyes so actually yes it does impact hugely 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think you may be projecting there. Masks don't scare me, nor anyone I know (of all ages)

Did you have a bad experience at the dentists as a child?

Actually yes I did have bad experience of dentists as did many people of my age with school dentists ,,, if you want to pretend mask wearing has had no impact on young children then fine but my daughter is a teacher , my wife is in child care with children in our home constantly, her sister has a nursery so I’m happier to take the evidence of my own eyes and the word of people close who work with children and have a good grasp of how it effect s them

Edited by Archied

12 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well you really don’t know or are ignoring the impact masks have had on children , masks do not just cover the mouth as you try to portray  it , we are mandated FACE COVERINGS and these face coverings / masks cover everything from under the chin to just under the eyes so actually yes it does impact hugely 

The chin and the nose are definitely two of the most expressive parts of the human body.

If you were any more out of your depth on this topic you'd need a snorkel as well as flippers and a mask.

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The chin and the nose are definitely two of the most expressive parts of the human body.

If you were any more out of your depth on this topic you'd need a snorkel as well as flippers and a mask.

Out of my depth ?????,, I’m 60 years old and have spent that time interacting with other human beings and understand fully the impact of everyone having virtually they’re whole faces covered , let alone the keep away from other human beings message they send and are clearly meant to send,

but hey you quote some haughty book stuff if you like ,,,      real world for me

Edited by Archied

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

Out of my depth ?????,, I’m 60 years old and have spent that time interacting with other human beings and understand fully the impact of everyone having virtually they’re whole faces covered , let alone the keep away from other human beings message they send and are clearly meant to send,

but hey you quote some haughty book stuff if you like ,,,      real world for me

Well in case you haven't realised from this thread today, things are only deemed real world once ratified by @Bob The Badger!