The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, sage said:

My guess would be someone in govt or civil service tipped off the Sun. They sat on it until Bojo wanted rid 

The alternative is even more worrying.

Then why does boris not sit tight ? There is no positive to be had by comming out and saying apologies accepted ,case closed ,you plebs just carry on doing as your told / conned 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Several things about this Hancock business interest me.

a) the kiss was on May 6th but someone sat on this for 7 weeks. Who and why?

b) who put a cctv camera in a smoke detector?

c) BJ stood by him and then tried to imply he had sacked him after he resigned

d) Within hours of being given the Health job, Sajid Javid was clearly taking a 'back to normal' tone. without having time to consider all the data.

Now call me a cynic, but c) and d) makes a) and b) very interesting.  

Don't forgot Johnson thought Hancock was totally f*****g useless a year ago. He also thought the track and test system was a joke, just before he told the nation it was world beating.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Then why does boris not sit tight ? There is no positive to be had by comming out and saying apologies accepted ,case closed ,you plebs just carry on doing as your told / conned 

It's odd. Maybe he didn't want to sack him for incompetence reasons.

Maybe some people are pulling strings behind the scenes. 

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What is good about Singapore's plan is that it is actually a plan, not just empty soundbites of "learning to live" with Covid.

Our plan was to keep locking down, get people vaccinated and hope for the best. "Learning to live" with Covid actually means "open everything up and accept cases may well go back up to 100k per day again soon".

Whilst the death toll will be much less with that high number of cases, it still doesn't seem like a good idea, especially when restricting the opportunities for variants is a key desired outcome.

Isn't it about time we had a proper agreed process that everyone understands and agrees on?

It's just half-arsed apps, lateral flow tests, PCR tests, quarantines, different rules for VIPs, alerts etc that pretty much everyone I speak to has a different understanding of. And by having this it would have allowed everything to open up already.

Our country is quickly becoming dysfunctional. Is there a phrase for a "developed" country that starts to get demonstrably worse? "Once developed?" "Post-developed"?

27 minutes ago, sage said:

It's odd. Maybe he didn't want to sack him for incompetence reasons.

Boris couldn't sack someone for being unfaithful.

Or indeed being bad at their job.

Misleading the public would be shaky ground, too.

In fact, it's hard to see how Boris could sack any minister ever, if he held them to his own standards.

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Boris couldn't sack someone for being unfaithful.

Or indeed being bad at their job.

Misleading the public would be shaky ground, too.

In fact, it's hard to see how Boris could sack any minister ever, if he held them to his own standards.

Maybe for having tidy hair.

Or for answering questions.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Maybe for having tidy hair.

Or for answering questions.

He's a lot less fun than he promised, isn't he?

Barely ever hear a Latin play on words these days, never mind a ribald repost of his questioner's.

2 hours ago, sage said:

Security services sting. Paymasters have grown tired of their lackeys' endless procrastinations, one suspects. Can't let Bezos have all the fun, can they?

Also serves as a timely reminder to Boris and co as to who is really in charge and a handy fall guy for the non-tendered contracts thrown around like confetti last year. Probably be rewarded with a peerage somewhere down the line.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

What is good about Singapore's plan is that it is actually a plan, not just empty soundbites of "learning to live" with Covid.

Our plan was to keep locking down, get people vaccinated and hope for the best. "Learning to live" with Covid actually means "open everything up and accept cases may well go back up to 100k per day again soon".

Whilst the death toll will be much less with that high number of cases, it still doesn't seem like a good idea, especially when restricting the opportunities for variants is a key desired outcome.

Isn't it about time we had a proper agreed process that everyone understands and agrees on?

It's just half-arsed apps, lateral flow tests, PCR tests, quarantines, different rules for VIPs, alerts etc that pretty much everyone I speak to has a different understanding of. And by having this it would have allowed everything to open up already.

Our country is quickly becoming dysfunctional. Is there a phrase for a "developed" country that starts to get demonstrably worse? "Once developed?" "Post-developed"?

Emerging dictatorship 

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

Emerging dictatorship 

Indeed. The attacks on the BBC, then dropping their own man in is part of that.

Hey ho, he says some mildly amusing things and is a 'character' so it's OK 

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are being far too generous in your assessment. There is no ducking plan. Bojo will turn out to be one of the most clueless man to lead this country.

We are so very lucky to have University Hospitals doing this kind of research. It will be a great comfort to many in the NHS and Care Sector more generally to know that if there were ever to be a virus in this Country the quality of the mask they wear will be vital. I do hope this news filters down to the NHS Purchasing Department.

Masks upgrade cuts infection risk: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

We are so very lucky to have University Hospitals doing this kind of research. It will be a great comfort to many in the NHS and Care Sector more generally to know that if there were ever to be a virus in this Country the quality of the mask they wear will be vital. I do hope this news filters down to the NHS Purchasing Department.

Masks upgrade cuts infection risk: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636360

What about the standard masks that fail QA testing, how do they compare? 

I'm sure my luxury DCFC mask provides maximum protection, so I'm not worried. 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

What about the standard masks that fail QA testing, how do they compare? 

I'm sure my luxury DCFC mask provides maximum protection, so I'm not worried. 

I understand that Mel’s mask is not sufficiently resilient from stopping the EFL getting up your nose.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57638369 

School isolation rules in England could be brought to an end in autumn, amid concerns about the rising number of children who have to quarantine because they are contacts of confirmed cases.

I thought all restrictions were on target to go on 19 July? 

No - you misunderstand. That's all restrictions lifted on 19th July - not ALL restrictions