The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

32 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That's certainly the case in our company. The owners would certainly like everyone back in the office but I think this last year has shown that it's possible for half the workforce to work from home without the company suffering as a result.

I've been back full time office based since last September, through choice - and possibly against the official guidance but I've agreed with my team that once the "work from home if you can" message is gone, that I want each of them in the office at least one regular day a week, plus as-and-when required. I expect it to be maybe 2 days a week on average office based for them and they all have 45-60 minute commutes.

They are happy with that and are working well, so it's a win-win as far as I can see.

I’m sure with the right staff and right situation it can work very well, there’s also the consideration this could turn into a real nightmare for lots of companies and employers as seen already on here the attitude towards an employer who may not want to go down the work from home route ??‍♂️, gonna be interesting to see how this pans out longer term , not least once the outsourcing begins 

I’m expecting some screaming further down the line but hey it may not turn out to be turkey’s voting for Christmas ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I suppose my main points are as follows:

• We have to learn to live with Covid-19
  • No amount of wishful thinking will make it go away.
  • You can mitigate your risk

Ah okay, I totally agree. To which end it seems like booster jabs & flu jabs will be the order of the winter season.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Fair play ? 

Got to love the media - an outrage story about how "TikTok is teaching UK teenagers to fake postive covid tests..."

and how "massively unhelpful" it is to be spreading this sort of information around

Erm - don't run a story on it then?

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Nope, he’s an adult and should know better 

Whilst the geezer was a total mug and his mate as well.. Not sure there are grounds to dismiss him from his job. 

He's got what is actions deserved but the company was wrong (legally) to dismiss.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Whilst the geezer was a total mug and his mate as well.. Not sure there are grounds to dismiss him from his job. 

He's got what is actions deserved but the company was wrong (legally) to dismiss.

Yeah maybe you’re right I’m not sure where the line is legally with employment law. 

Edited by TexasRam

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Using the same dates as I used before, new hospital admissions (Covid-19 confirmed, England only):

• 14 May - 72
  • 22 May - 75
  • 30 May - 80
  • 6 June - 121
  • 14 June - 185
  • 22 June - 182
  • 28 June - 244*

* the figures for hospital admissions for 30 June are not yet collated, so for completeness, I have taken the most recent available

So basically a 3-fold increase in new admissions, compared to a 12-fold increase in new cases over the same period.

With respect to your point about 'lesser' symptoms, a reasonable way of looking at those figures might be to look at the total number of patients undergoing 'mechanical ventilation' in hospital. These figures were showing a slow but downward trend as more and more, the most vulnerable were becoming vaccinated - and then they started rising again.

• 12 April - 337
  • 20 April - 273
  • 28 April - 188
  • 6 May - 144
  • 14 May - 115
  • 22 May - 113
  • 30 May - 115
  • 6 June - 131
  • 14 June - 170
  • 22 June - 229
  • 30 June - 264

Again, there was a striking inflexion, lagging a week or so after 'something' happened during mid-May.

244 hospital admissions against 50,000 cases shows the vaccine is doing its job. The only reason restrictions should be maintained is if there is an issue with capacity for health services which these figures show we're nowhere near at. 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

He was meant to be showing a client around a property at the time.

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

244 hospital admissions against 50,000 cases shows the vaccine is doing its job. The only reason restrictions should be maintained is if there is an issue with capacity for health services which these figures show we're nowhere near at. 

Is there a case to say along with vaccine a large number who were vulnerable to the virus have already been seriously ill or lost their lives ? There must be massive numbers that have had covid now whether tested or unknowingly 

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Think I read that he suffers from adhd and autism , do we cut any slack ? 

Not from me. If Chris Whitty was a right hard bar steward that liked knocking nobheads around for his kicks I might, but to harass and embarrass a mild mannered bloke going about his business ? Nah, hope he gets plenty of time to reflect on his behaviour.

53 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not disputing that at all.

I am just highlighting absolute figures, putting no spin whatsoever on them.

24 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Not from me. If Chris Whitty was a right hard bar steward that liked knocking nobheads around for his kicks I might, but to harass and embarrass a mild mannered bloke going about his business ? Nah, hope he gets plenty of time to reflect on his behaviour.

Just interested if we all cast our stone’s evenly, with say the likes of a Tom Lawrence , mason Bennett or Richard keough for instance , who did and didn’t lose their livelihood s ??‍♂️,

personally think the adhd autism stuff is an attempted get out but it does raise an interesting question as I’m sure on perhaps other incidents I would be trashed badly for stating that