Technology - For Better or Worse

sage

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Satnav

I used to be a sales rep in the late 90s & had to have a box of a to z's in the car as well as a couple of road atlases. 

I used to have to spend bloody ages planning trips & stopping to check city maps.

That reminds me of holidays as a kid with dad planning the route using a giant AA road map.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Social Media - The worse thing ever. The internet is out of control and needs some regulation.

It’s also the best thing the internet. 

And that encapsulates this thread. Swings and Roundabouts.

MP3 players. 

remember the walkman? ONE cassette, 10 songs per side (if it was on a blank you’d copied yourself).  No track skipping. No rewind, you had to turn over and fast forward! 

I now have a piece of plastic the size of a lego brick in my car, that has 10000 songs on it! 

I take a Bluetooth speaker on holiday, my phone has 6000 songs on. Bigger than my vinyl/CD/cassette collection ever was! Add to that, the other main one in this thread, the internet, also allows me access to millions more songs! 

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

MP3 players. 

remember the walkman? ONE cassette, 10 songs per side (if it was on a blank you’d copied yourself).  No track skipping. No rewind, you had to turn over and fast forward! 

I now have a piece of plastic the size of a lego brick in my car, that has 10000 songs on it! 

I take a Bluetooth speaker on holiday, my phone has 6000 songs on. Bigger than my vinyl/CD/cassette collection ever was! Add to that, the other main one in this thread, the internet, also allows me access to millions more songs! 

And then came auto-reverse......

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Satnav

I used to be a sales rep in the late 90s & had to have a box of a to z's in the car as well as a couple of road atlases. 

I used to have to spend bloody ages planning trips & stopping to check city maps.

Agree technology on cars generally has massively improved during my time driving - possibly one of the products that tech has affected the most 

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

MP3 players. 

Eight track cartridge anyone..?

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Agree technology on cars generally has massively improved during my time driving - possibly one of the products that tech has affected the most 

..... and now you have to search through umpteen menus just to turn down the heater.

Touch screens in cars are a death trap.

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

..... and now you have to search through umpteen menus just to turn down the heater.

Touch screens in cars are a death trap.

Ha yeah but at least they start in the morning ?

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

MP3 players. 

Totally agree. But I do miss opening a new vinyl album, reading all the sleeve notes, following the lyrics etc. 

We have best of both worlds these days as vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback.

49 minutes ago, angieram said:

Totally agree. But I do miss opening a new vinyl album, reading all the sleeve notes, following the lyrics etc. 

We have best of both worlds these days as vinyl is making somewhat of a comeback.

Bought a turntable a few months back. It's costing us a bloody fortune!  Those vinyl records aren't cheap, never mind speakers etc.

Yet nothing beats it, as you say reading sleeve notes, sliding the record out the sleeve, even not being able to skip tracks means you make a commitment to the album, in a way you simply don't get with digital music.

18 minutes ago, Rev said:

Bought a turntable a few months back. It's costing us a bloody fortune!  Those vinyl records aren't cheap, never mind speakers etc.

Yet nothing beats it, as you say reading sleeve notes, sliding the record out the sleeve, even not being able to skip tracks means you make a commitment to the album, in a way you simply don't get with digital music.

Being a sad person, I never threw mine away so still got quite a collection - as @Monty can testify to, when I bored him with many of them on one of our Zoom calls!

32 minutes ago, Rev said:

With vinyl it's an event even down to the smell.

Even now when i put it on, the nostalgia overwhelms my senses and start remembering where i bought it who i was with, why i bought it.

Going to the Record Cavern in Heanor early every Saturday morning to buy the latest releases was a social event, and whilst the sound quality of digital music might be better you can't beat the crackle when the needle hits the plastic.

38 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

With vinyl it's an event even down to the smell.

Even now when i put it on, the nostalgia overwhelms my senses and start remembering where i bought it who i was with, why i bought it.

Going to the Record Cavern in Heanor early every Saturday morning to buy the latest releases was a social event, and whilst the sound quality of digital music might be better you can't beat the crackle when the needle hits the plastic.

For me it was Fox's in Alfreton.

And no, that isn't me in my pinny! 

FB_IMG_1610301623947.jpg

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

Being a sad person, I never threw mine away so still got quite a collection - as @Monty can testify to, when I bored him with many of them on one of our Zoom calls!

Not bored at all @angierameven thinking about maybe getting a deck myself - and playing some of my few remaining albums 

picked up a tv after repair at a local workshop a few months ago the place was stacked out with decks and turntables - what’s with all these I asked the engineer, gone crazy during lockdown he said lots of people getting the old hi-fi out of the attic and recommissioned...

1 hour ago, angieram said:

For me it was Fox's in Alfreton.

And no, that isn't me in my pinny! 

FB_IMG_1610301623947.jpg

record shops like these often had acoustic booths/hoods where you could listen to a requested track from a selected record - don't see one in this pic but from the speaker on the wall looks like they played to the whole shop. I seem to remember buying records in a shop like this on Derby market place between the market hall entrance and the Cornmarket corner coffee shop (Kardoma?) - anyone recall this shop