Technology - For Better or Worse

sage

Just now, Rev said:

Hands down the internet.

For the impact it's had, nothing even comes close.

Roll back 30 years, and see what other technology even comes close to changing the world in the same way?

Literally every other advance since has been spawned by it.

Has it (and it's implications) made our lives better or worse?

Just now, sage said:

Has it (and it's implications) made our lives better or worse?

Unquestionably it's improved our lives.

Just imagine this pandemic before the internet.

DNA profile mapped in days, due to a network of thousands/millions of computers all chipping in a small piece of processing power in a collaborative effort, rather than relying on one super computer to do it all.

Imagine getting the relevent information out to the world using a system of TV and Radio networks, postal systems and print media?

How long would that have taken?

Being an ambulance driver, and having to ring round to find a Covid patient a bed, rather than be directed automatically to capacity(if any)?

Trying to home school by setting the VCR to 3.30am to record lesson's, hoping there's no extra time in cup games to ruin your plans.

Who was the first president of the United States? "Charlie George miss, just look at his face".

Need to go shopping, but need a face mask prior? Good luck finding a open air face mask shop 30 years ago!

The internet has bought the world together, and the way some people use it to divide us is a small price to pay.

For every person who uses the net to spread hate, there's many more who use it to educate and better themselves.

To use myself as an example, I've learned more about the Opium Wars, Slavery, the gender spectrum and the history of Viz than would ever be possible without the internet.

19 minutes ago, Rev said:

Unquestionably it's improved our lives.

Just imagine this pandemic before the internet.

DNA profile mapped in days, due to a network of thousands/millions of computers all chipping in a small piece of processing power in a collaborative effort, rather than relying on one super computer to do it all.

Imagine getting the relevent information out to the world using a system of TV and Radio networks, postal systems and print media?

How long would that have taken?

Being an ambulance driver, and having to ring round to find a Covid patient a bed, rather than be directed automatically to capacity(if any)?

Trying to home school by setting the VCR to 3.30am to record lesson's, hoping there's no extra time in cup games to ruin your plans.

Who was the first president of the United States? "Charlie George miss, just look at his face".

Need to go shopping, but need a face mask prior? Good luck finding a open air face mask shop 30 years ago!

The internet has bought the world together, and the way some people use it to divide us is a small price to pay.

For every person who uses the net to spread hate, there's many more who use it to educate and better themselves.

To use myself as an example, I've learned more about the Opium Wars, Slavery, the gender spectrum and the history of Viz than would ever be possible without the internet.

You are forgetting how it allowed us to have a world class test and trace system.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The quantum leap in mobile communications has got to be one of them.

I remember when I was a kid had to go and knock on someone's door to see if they were coming out to play.

Now you can arrange organised football violence over WhatsApp ?

It was just as easy in the 70's. All you had to do was ask your mates if they were up for going into town early when Man United, Leeds, etc were playing..........ok, it might not be that organised as such but you knew where it was going to happen.

The lads who used to brick the away coaches at Spider Island seemed to manage to congregate without WhatsApp ?

13 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The lads who used to brick the away coaches at Spider Island seemed to manage to congregate without WhatsApp 

Yer but that's just like shooting fish in a barrel. 

I'm talking about coordinated set to's with the opposition fans away from the ground without the local constabulary intelligence getting wind of it first. 

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yer but that's just like shooting fish in a barrel. 

I'm talking about coordinated set to's with the opposition fans away from the ground without the local constabulary intelligence getting wind of it first. 

That sort of thing was the domain of the sort of chap who accidentally tasered his own testicles and died of a heart attack while storming the Capitol building the other day. Not my speciality.

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Not used mine for over a year, can you say the same for the internet?

The first two things I do in the morning. Check my emails/whatsapp, make a coffee. I look forward to the coffee more. Although the internet has improved my morning poo. But then so has the coffee. I like to take a cup up.

Is that what all these advancements are really geared towards? Poo enhancement?