Technology - For Better or Worse

sage

Computers and more specifically personal computers. People have mentioned the internet, but for the internet to exist there's got to be at least 2 computers talking to each other.

The next one might well be AI, fascinating area, scary in parts but potentially immense. It is able to provide the basis to extend our knowledge and understanding of so many areas.

To answer the OP it's the microprocessor - pretty much every advancement on here has been dependent on that. Moore's law (the ability to double the amount of transistors on a single piece of silicon every two years - hence doubling the processing power) continues to hold true, despite our being told it was not longer possible, for over a decade. The average house now has more than 300 computer driven devices, from fridges to thermostats to smart devices to bluetoth headphones. Not sure how many were in that photo in Fox's in Alfreton but you can sure bet it was around 300 less than the average home and that photo was definitely taken in my lifetime. It's the most amazing, and rapid, advancement in human history - truly amazing times to have lived through.

On 10/01/2021 at 22:21, Steve How Hard? said:

Have to disagree on this one. Ours broke years ago. Never got around to replacing it and we honestly haven't missed it one bit. There is nothing I can think of that can't be cooked without one. Admittedly it speeds up the cooking process but that isn't the be all and end all for me. 

How do you warm up your left over curry in the morning?

On 10/01/2021 at 22:21, Steve How Hard? said:

There is nothing I can think of that can't be cooked without one. Admittedly it speeds up the cooking process but that isn't the be all and end all for me. 

Agree, except microwave's basically 'steam' the food - love steamed chips me! ? Not got one either - it just used to be for reheating forgotten mugs of tea. 

Edited by RoyMac5

nowadays music is just a click away and completely mobile - who remembers 'Dial a Disc' from the sixties/seventies a service run by I guess the GPO back then whereby you could phone in (dialling 16 I googled that bit) to listen to a current chart record. The record changed daily. There was a short gap between the record being replayed and during these few seconds it was realised you could hear other participants on the line - with people shouting out messages and even phone numbers...

Edited by Guest
edit

1 minute ago, Monty said:

nowadays music is just a click away and completely mobile - who remembers 'Dial a Disc' from the sixties/seventies a service run by I guess the GPO back then whereby you could phone in (dialling 16 I googled that bit) to listen to a current chart record. The record changed daily. There was a short gap between the record being replayed and during these few seconds it was realised you could hear other participants on the line - with people shouting out messages and even phone numbers...

You heard the voices as well, thought it was just me.

The-Shining-008.jpg

On 10/01/2021 at 15:17, Mostyn6 said:

MP3 players. 

remember the walkman? ONE cassette, 10 songs per side (if it was on a blank you’d copied yourself).  No track skipping. No rewind, you had to turn over and fast forward! 

I now have a piece of plastic the size of a lego brick in my car, that has 10000 songs on it! 

I take a Bluetooth speaker on holiday, my phone has 6000 songs on. Bigger than my vinyl/CD/cassette collection ever was! Add to that, the other main one in this thread, the internet, also allows me access to millions more songs! 

MP3 player? Living in the dark ages man.....Spotify ?

Kindle.

I am always reading a book, pre kindle it was usually a trip to the works for some cheap paperbacks, and then maybe buy best sellers now and then.

Now books are cheapily, sometimes freely, available. Also when going on holiday not packing half my case in books.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Kindle.

I am always reading a book, pre kindle it was usually a trip to the works for some cheap paperbacks, and then maybe buy best sellers now and then.

Now books are cheapily, sometimes freely, available. Also when going on holiday not packing half my case in books.

I much prefer physical books but have been buying loads more on Kindle recently, mostly because they're so much cheaper.