R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

RoyMac5

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The players were told from the outset that it is a clean sheet for everybody. In turn, Rooney has made it clear what he expects from them.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-county-manager-wayne-rooney-4810708

I'm actually warming to Wayne Rooney's interviews.

He speaks well and is clearly knowledgeable and clearly isnt shy on naming the problems, like calling out the forwards for lack of goals which almost resulted in a 4 nil against Swansea.

Leaving CKR at home which results in CKR coming in and becoming a mini cult hero.

Regardless of what happens with the managerial appointment long term I was wrong about Rooney.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He speaks well and is clearly knowledgeable and clearly isnt shy on naming the problems, like calling out the forwards for lack of goals which almost resulted in a 4 nil against Swansea.

Leaving CKR at home which results in CKR coming in and becoming a mini cult hero.

Regardless of what happens with the managerial appointment long term I was wrong about Rooney.

I liked his calmness on the touch line. It looked like he trusted the players to do what he expected of them.

Me too @MackworthRamIsGod, I have siad all along I don't want him etc, but I'll happily hold my hands up and say he is changing my mind.

With what he has said in the above article I can see he is bringing 'club first' mentality he had at Utd to our dressing room. If the players buy in to half of that we will be in a much better place.

Keep getting the performances from the players, and a few results along the way and jobs his to lose.

29 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Completely agree and have also changed my views. Uncomfortably I have been forced to reflect on why I didn't want him as manager. There might have been some good reasons like his lack of  managerial experience and some negative feelings about his last recent performances on the pitch, but there was also ignorance. Whilst he was prominent in the media, for Derby fans he has been relatively under exposed. He hasn't given that many post-match interviews and his commitment to the club hasn't been that obvious, at least to me.

But everything he has done as temporary manager has been excellent. His post match interview on Wednesday as well as being intelligent and informative about how is working as manager showed his commitment to this job.  What a pity we are not back in the ground and able to show our support.

I remember hearing him very early on when he arrived saying one of the first things he noticed was how we often didn't retain possession from throw ins, so he got them working on that in training.  A small thing maybe, but it showed to me how his brain worked.  

He may not be the most articulate (loads of p*** takes on here about his "errrms") but Beckham was the same with "you know" and he became the UNICEF Goodwill Amassador. Rooney has a great footballing brain and knows what it takes to be successful, both as an individual and as a team.  I see that now coming through, and his comments in that article are nailed spot on.  He trusts his players, they trust him. His calmness on the touchline supports this. He's very quick to praise them too, and we all know how we react if we feel valued. 

OK we were rock bottom when he took over, in every respect, so the only way was up.  It'll be interesting to see how he copes if things go belly up on the pitch, but right now, I'm sold. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Particularly noticed this line in the article:

"I think the players know they are not going to just turn up for training and get through training sessions and play in the game, they have to put in the effort...Players are getting paid a lot of money to do that, the fans deserve that, this club deserves that."

I can't help but feel Rooney as a player here, post lockdown, didn't deliver what he is now expecting the players to do. 

However, I don't see how you can't give Rooney the job until the end of the season as a start. All the things I hoped to see as a player, the will to win, that winners mentality are coming through as a manager. Looks like the players are on board. Why disrupt it?

I don't buy the ethos about being forced to respect peers, managers and so on in any walk of life. I've always expected that respect is earned not automatically granted and I know that sounds like a hackneyed cliche but it's true. 

You begin to respect another person through a number of different avenues - seeing them leading by example, their dedication, perseverance and so on. Not because your line manager tells you that you have to respect that individual.

10 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Completely agree and have also changed my views. Uncomfortably I have been forced to reflect on why I didn't want him as manager. There might have been some good reasons like his lack of  managerial experience and some negative feelings about his last recent performances on the pitch, but there was also ignorance. Whilst he was prominent in the media, for Derby fans he has been relatively under exposed. He hasn't given that many post-match interviews and his commitment to the club hasn't been that obvious, at least to me.

But everything he has done as temporary manager has been excellent. His post match interview on Wednesday as well as being intelligent and informative about how is working as manager showed his commitment to this job.  What a pity we are not back in the ground and able to show our support.

Nail on the bead with regards to the ignorance.

I'd made my mind up on him as an individual, which unfortunately was fueled by whichever national newspaper it was that ran the story of him being primed for the job and he was busy getting his back room staff together, whilst self isolating.  I knew Cocu would leave eventually, but it just didnt sit right with me that the candidate being discussed to succeed him was the captain of his team.  I didnt want it to become the Rooney show.

But I realise that story wasnt the fault of Rooney, he didnt print the story or asked for it to be reported. And since he has taken over I dont see the superstar England striker, I just see a knowledgeable young man who cares about Derby and the players and will do everything he can to succeed with us, so he can eventually get the big gig.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't buy the ethos about being forced to respect peers, managers and so on in any walk of life. I've always expected that respect is earned not automatically granted and I know that sounds like a hackneyed cliche but it's true. 

You begin to respect another person through a number of different avenues - seeing them leading by example, their dedication, perseverance and so on. Not because your line manager tells you that you have to respect that individual.

What you say does have certain elements of truth. However people in general and especially young people need this idea of respect and working hard to be spoon fed to them. There are far too many individuals who go through life not really giving their best. I like a manager who reinforces that message by picking the hardest working individuals first. 

1 minute ago, Hathersage Ram said:

What you say does have certain elements of truth. However people in general and especially young people need this idea of respect and working hard to be spoon fed to them. There are far too many individuals who go through life not really giving their best. I like a manager who reinforces that message by picking the hardest working individuals first. 

I've known line managers in my past that I have not got on with and in all truth personally disliked. I did however respect what they'd achieved professionally to get to where they are in their career and also that they are good at their job. No one told me that I had to respect them automatically.

Conversely I've got on well with other of my line managers but not respected them at all as they didn't lead by example, set the right standards and wanted to be a David Brent popularity over performance one of the boys. It cuts both ways.

I would say it’s easy to like him when we aren’t losing,the tide would quickly turn if we weren’t!!

I mean cocu was the nicest most articulate bloke in the world,it didn’t do him any favours on here or anywhere else.

As a gaffer,I’ve been far more impressed with Rooneys tenure than I expected to be,the team look more cohesive on and off the pitch and out football is certainly improving and looking really rather good!!

Long may it continue.

Archived