Darkest before the dawn

SouthernRam

There's plenty that needs changing at this football club at the moment. We're crying out for a new management team with experience and there are serious weak spots in the spine of the team. That being said, there are positives to build on.

- Kazim-Richards is a revelation and will cause any defence problems. His touch is exceptional for a target man.

- It's good to see Bielik back. He adds composure, physicality and control in the centre of the park.

- Byrne and Buchanan are both quality full backs. Buchanan especially has come on leaps and bounds this season.

- Knight has been our POTS. Bird, Whittaker, Sibley and Stretton are all great talents.

- Marshall and Jozwiak are top 6 quality players.

As things stand we are prime contenders for relegation. Failing to beat Wycombe and Coventry just cements that. So what needs to happen?

- The takeover needs finalising ASAP. It sounds very close to completion but has done for weeks. It's the unfallen domino holding up all our progress.

- Completely new management with Championship experience. Be it Cook, Jokanovic, Howe, Wagner etc. we need a fresh outlook and a new manager bounce. Clear out all first team coaches so they can bring in their own staff. They need enough time to assess the squad before January.

- We need a top quality centre back and a new striker. A spine of Marshall - Clarke - New CB - Bielik - New ST will provide a key foundation for our young talents to build around. The quality is obviously dependent on our finances but needs must and we might have to get clever with FFP.

This is not an irreparable situation. Hold off for much longer and we could soon get cut adrift. Act now and we could be out of the relegation zone by January.

COYR

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The right manager will get this team going. There's quality there. But they're crying out for a proper manager.

I really do hope this takeover can get sorted as quickly as possible because I think we all need this appointment now. Even Wayne.

12 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

There's plenty that needs changing at this football club at the moment. We're crying out for a new management team with experience and there are serious weak spots in the spine of the team. That being said, there are positives to build on.

- Kazim-Richards is a revelation and will cause any defence problems. His touch is exceptional for a target man.

- It's good to see Bielik back. He adds composure, physicality and control in the centre of the park.

- Byrne and Buchanan are both quality full backs. Buchanan especially has come on leaps and bounds this season.

- Knight has been our POTS. Bird, Whittaker, Sibley and Stretton are all great talents.

As things stand we are prime contenders for relegation. Failing to beat Wycombe and Coventry just cements that. So what needs to happen?

- The takeover needs finalising ASAP. It sounds very close to completion but has done for weeks. It's the unfallen domino holding up all our progress.

- Completely new management with Championship experience. Be it Cook, Jokanovic, Howe, Wagner etc. we need a fresh outlook and a new manager bounce. Clear out all first team coaches so they can bring in their own staff. They need enough time to assess the squad before January.

- We need a top quality centre back and a new striker. A spine of Marshall - Clarke - New CB - Bielik - New ST will provide a key foundation for our young talents to build around. The quality is obviously dependent on our finances but needs must and we might have to get clever with FFP.

This is not an irreparable situation. Hold off for much longer and we could soon get cut adrift. Act now and we could be out of the relegation zone by January.

COYR

Ibe hopefully due back in contention soon as well, his creativity could potentially make a huge difference to this team

3 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

We're clearly agreed on the laughable situation and shocking management team. Which of the other points do you actually disagree with? 

14 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

That being said, there are positives to build on.

16 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

COYR

I’m in agreement with this.

I’ve been a ‘wrist slasher’ of late and was calling this a relegation scrap 5 weeks ago, when some told me off for doing so.

My biggest gripe has been how dull the football was.

However, I saw some signs of life tonight.

Thankfully Bielik can actually play football, rather than being the walking red card/injury I feared he was.

The three academy lads that started are all great; I thought Buchanan was outstanding.

So I agree, I think there is something to work with, but clearly there needs to be new direction at board and manager level.

I’ll actually go to bed tonight with 7% more hope than I had when I woke up this morning ?

I truly think the manager will be Rooney ( with his own backroom staff) and I think he will be a success . 

I just really need him to have the balls to drop Lawrence. 

Should have gone even b4 the joiners debacle , saved for compassionate and commercial reasons when he crashed his car drunk at the wheel . 

His football ability does not warrant a place in this team , even one struggling so badly .   

Get rid of him and watch the results improve.  

30 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

- Completely new management with Championship experience. 

great post Southern Ram.   But there is no sign they plan to repair the current management shambles. Latest press was the club confirming they are not even speaking to anyone. Maybe for FFP reasons, maybe because of the 32red contract. If they don't make changes we have to hope that WR will increasingly look to SM. Including when it comes to substitutions ( a problem today and against Wickham ).

The new owners may have got this right. This squad should stay up. Much better to appoint a new 4 year manager in the summer when we're into a new FFP year and when there's a long transfer window. If we are ambitious under new ownership, none of the managers we want going forward will join us just now ?  

The squad is better than relegation quality. Not much better, but it is better. A good manager would get us out this mess. My fear is we’ve left it too late for any decent manager to be attracted here, and even if they are, we are so short of confidence I don’t see how anyone can turn this around now.

9 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

COYR

Good Post but no mention of Lawrence ?

9 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

COYR

Agree with this, some definite positives (particularly the full-backs and how lively Kazim-Richards looked). For me Wisdom has to be dropped- although not awful last night- he has been at fault for many goals of late. Think we might come good this season if we play with similar intensity we did at times last night that has sorely been lacking over past few months; got to remember confidence for everyone must be at an all time low and if we scrape a little run together that will change...we could bounce back... wishful thinking?

3 hours ago, swadieram said:

Good Post but no mention of Lawrence ?

That’s no accident - he’s not stepped up so far this season.

He’s a talented player. On his day he can change a game but nowadays his day comes once in a blue moon. We need consistent performers and he would probably fetch a decent fee.

Archived