Jack Marriott returns to Derby, then goes back to Wednesday

Carl Sagan

7 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

Maybe BrisVegas was right and knew better than most of us on this forum afterall. 

LOL, what, making that claim in the season where he nearly fired us into the Prem. Yeh, right! Bris was a visionary as his recent articles continue to prove. He's also admitted that he was simply trolling the forum with that and other posts anyway! 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

LOL, what, making that claim in the season where he nearly fired us into the Prem. Yeh, right! Bris was a visionary as his recent articles continue to prove. He's also admitted that he was simply trolling the forum with that and other posts anyway! 

also said Vyds was useless before he went  on the rampage

I'd much rather have Marriott in the squad than Kazim.
He'd be perfect in a team pressing from the front alongside Jozwiak and Lawrence. Ibe, Waghorn and Whittaker as backups. Winning the ball back higher up the pitch will favour him, with us seeing the player we thought we had under Lampard. A proper fitness regime in place should help with the injury troubles too.

51 minutes ago, Spanish said:

maybe but I recall Vyds missed a goal attempt (saved) and he analyzed it to death resulting in he would never score more than a couple  a season

Wolves 3-2, Bent volley game

I think it was more him trying to argue that a tap-in is a harder chance than having the ball stopped dead with half a net to aim at 

It’s been said before, but Bris was often right, he just never knew how to explain it without rubbing people up the wrong way 

I think Jack could still do a job but my patience has worn thin with him. Perhaps that's unfair with the constant injuries but it'd be grand to hear one manager saying, yep, that lad works his socks off in training. McCarthy, Lamps and Cocu have all implied otherwise and that grates a tad. Be a terrible shame were he just to drift into obscurity then realise when it's all too late that he's spaffed a natural talent. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'd much rather have Marriott in the squad than Kazim.
He'd be perfect in a team pressing from the front alongside Jozwiak and Lawrence. Ibe, Waghorn and Whittaker as backups. Winning the ball back higher up the pitch will favour him, with us seeing the player we thought we had under Lampard. A proper fitness regime in place should help with the injury troubles too.

Honestly at this point Marriott is close to the bottom of the pile for me. To be honest I'm not sure I'd have CKR in the squad either, think JHI and/Or Stretton deserve to have a decent crack over either.

With Marriott I'm just not convinced his value isn't inflated based on a hot streak under Lampard because outside of a 10 game streak he's looked largely ineffectual and frankly wasteful. I think that two managers now have started with him before being done with him speaks absolute volumes.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly at this point Marriott is close to the bottom of the pile for me. To be honest I'm not sure I'd have CKR in the squad either, think JHI and/Or Stretton deserve to have a decent crack over either.

With Marriott I'm just not convinced his value isn't inflated based on a hot streak under Lampard because outside of a 10 game streak he's looked largely ineffectual and frankly wasteful. I think that two managers now have started with him before being done with him speaks absolute volumes.

Lampard's initial view was Waghorn short term, Marriott long term. He wasn't clinical, but he managed to get shots away at such a rate that he was almost a 1-in-2 sort of forward. Lampard stated he needed to work on his fitness, meaning staying fit and lasting full games. Lampard hoped his alround game would develop a bit over time.
Cosu's style of sitting back didn't suit Marriott at all. Cocu's style means the CF has to be involved in the build up play and a result is a crowded penalty area by the time we've got that far up the field.

Marriott completed the full 90 twice this season (in the cup and first game of the season when we had a depleted squad) and 3 times last season. It's no surprise his purple patch under Lampard coincided with him staying fit. His first start in the league yielded is first goal. Over the next 17 games he scored 9 goals and assisted 4, completing the game on 11 occasions. He only completed the game on 4 other occasions. Get him fit, keep him free from injury, rebuild his fitness, and the goals will come.

On 23/11/2020 at 16:45, Ghost of Clough said:

Lampard's initial view was Waghorn short term, Marriott long term. He wasn't clinical, but he managed to get shots away at such a rate that he was almost a 1-in-2 sort of forward. Lampard stated he needed to work on his fitness, meaning staying fit and lasting full games. Lampard hoped his alround game would develop a bit over time.
Cosu's style of sitting back didn't suit Marriott at all. Cocu's style means the CF has to be involved in the build up play and a result is a crowded penalty area by the time we've got that far up the field.

Marriott completed the full 90 twice this season (in the cup and first game of the season when we had a depleted squad) and 3 times last season. It's no surprise his purple patch under Lampard coincided with him staying fit. His first start in the league yielded is first goal. Over the next 17 games he scored 9 goals and assisted 4, completing the game on 11 occasions. He only completed the game on 4 other occasions. Get him fit, keep him free from injury, rebuild his fitness, and the goals will come.

I get where you are coming but I'm far far from sold. Thing is looking back in that streak of form the whole team was on fire and we were naming very attacking teams with both Mount and Wilson in midfield. The other thing is we had Waghorn acting as a pseudo target man on the right wing. There was a lot going in Mariott's favour in that regard. And the thing is hes looked completely toothless outside of that even when played in set ups that should better suit him (I'm thinking of the handful of times last season he started with Martin upfront or Waghorn). 

There just seems to be too many ifs with him and I'm not convinced he's really done enough to suggest he's worth persevering with.

I hope I'm wrong mind.

26 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I get where you are coming but I'm far far from sold. Thing is looking back in that streak of form the whole team was on fire and we were naming very attacking teams with both Mount and Wilson in midfield. The other thing is we had Waghorn acting as a pseudo target man on the right wing. There was a lot going in Mariott's favour in that regard. And the thing is hes looked completely toothless outside of that even when played in set ups that should better suit him (I'm thinking of the handful of times last season he started with Martin upfront or Waghorn). 

There just seems to be too many ifs with him and I'm not convinced he's really done enough to suggest he's worth persevering with.

I hope I'm wrong mind.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part considering he's one of the few players we'll have under contract beyond this season with a value (currently) next to his name. 6 months to get some form from him so we can cash in in the summer.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part considering he's one of the few players we'll have under contract beyond this season with a value (currently) next to his name. 6 months to get some form from him so we can cash in in the summer.

I get it. But is it worth persevering with him over giving someone like Stretton, Duncan or JHI a serious shot? 

Archived