Jack Marriott returns to Derby, then goes back to Wednesday

Carl Sagan

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes. He's done some good finishes at times, doesn't make him a natural finisher. I saw Harry Winks score from the half way line, doesn't make him good at long shots. Marriott has bad goal scoring records in all but one season.

Harry Winks has probably scored one worldy like that I'd imagine. Marriotts got 100 finishes like these.  For me he has all the attributes of a great goal poacher.  His days are probably done here and I feel a bit sorry for him .  Hopefully, he gets a club that will set up for his skill set like we did for a few months.  Hope we don't see him scoring 20 for a championship club next year whilst were watching from League one thinking shame we didn't try him with proper wingers and  attacking midfielders last season.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes. He's done some good finishes at times, doesn't make him a natural finisher. I saw Harry Winks score from the half way line, doesn't make him good at long shots. Marriott has bad goal scoring records in all but one season.

But Harry Winks admitted that was a fluke. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

v Man Utd, right place right time heads it in.

Sitter.

v Sheff Utd first time volley

Shinned it.

v Birmingham One touch and finish

Awful goal keeping.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

v West Brom first time finish

Again, awful goalkeeping. 

He did some good finishes there, that isn't up for debate. It's also not taking into consideration how many chances it takes him to produce a finish like that. Because I can categorically state he was a bad finisher last season. Let me give you an example. Barnsley at home, one of his only goals of the season but he also missed about 4 one on ones to the point that Rooney screamed at him on the pitch. 

Just now, Andicis said:

You make a good point about P&S, hadn't considered that. 

Thats the silly part about the P&S rules.

Selling a player for nothing can mean a club fails P&S, whereas keeping that player and shelling out on wages before releasing at the end of his contract is better. 

Seems to be against the principle of P&S to me ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Harry Winks has probably scored one worldy like that I'd imagine. Marriotts got 100 finishes like these.  For me he has all the attributes of a great goal poacher.  His days are probably done here and I feel a bit sorry for him .  Hopefully, he gets a club that will set up for his skill set like we did for a few months.  Hope we don't see him scoring 20 for a championship club next year whilst were watching from League one thinking shame we didn't try him with proper wingers and  attacking midfielders last season.

He has 76 career goals, 10 at Championship level. This guy has had one prolific season at league one, and for some reason some of our fans can't seem to see the fact that he offers nothing in open play and his one trick is shooting early and hoping the keeper isn't set. He's a poor footballer with a bad strike right. 

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

He has 76 career goals, 10 at Championship level. This guy has had one prolific season at league one, and for some reason some of our fans can't seem to see the fact that he offers nothing in open play and his one trick is shooting early and hoping the keeper isn't set. He's a poor footballer with a bad strike right. 

Seen him play, seen him score. He's a great finisher. I'd argue he does a lot of work chasing the ball as well.  That should be the job of Waghorn/'Lawrence.  Marriott should be the bloke in the box, not doing the chasing. Pulling players out of there comfort zone to create room for him is what we had with Mount and Wilson. It's what we've not had for 18 months.  A combination of lack of movement and creation and a niggling injury is the issue. Even if you were right shooting early and accurately is far better than the current combination of ten touches then tripping over you shoelaces we currently have as options.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Sitter.

Shinned it.

Awful goal keeping.

He did some good finishes there, that isn't up for debate. It's also not taking into consideration how many chances it takes him to produce a finish like that. Because I can categorically state he was a bad finisher last season. Let me give you an example. Barnsley at home, one of his only goals of the season but he also missed about 4 one on ones to the point that Rooney screamed at him on the pitch. 

Keepers positioning had been poor for every Ronaldo free kick, rubbish player.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think his playing style is very similar to Vardy. Marriott could/would be a great player if deployed in the right role and prepared to work his arse off. 

Vardy plays as a long striker a lot. Marriott has shown he’s not great at this. Vardy is also lightning quick at 33 years old, something Marriott isn’t. 

Personally I think we should keep him around. Would love to see him involved under the current regime where we get the ball forward much quicker and actually look to play beyond the oppositions back line.

On his day, he has quality no doubt. Whether he can do it consistently in the championship is still up for debate. He looks a player to me who thrives off confidence & others around him also. He was brilliant under Lampard when we were successful. Struggled massively under Cocu's reign where the squad struggled for any confidence consistently.

1 hour ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Keepers positioning had been poor for every Ronaldo free kick, rubbish player.

Nice strawman. Except, I never said that. I said some of Marriott's finishes were good, just pinpointed ones where it was down to poor goalkeeping. Some of Ronaldo's freekicks are definitely down to bad goalkeeping. 

This really wasn't the ''gotcha'' moment you thought it was lmao

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thats the silly part about the P&S rules.

Selling a player for nothing can mean a club fails P&S, whereas keeping that player and shelling out on wages before releasing at the end of his contract is better. 

Seems to be against the principle of P&S to me ?‍♂️

It does the way we do our accounting and that’s the issue.  Prudently we should have been writing down his value year by year so to avoid a big hit

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Sitter.

Shinned it.

Awful goal keeping.

This is the point some of us are making.  The early Marriott was a significant asset and the latter one a waste of space.  It is a mystery but something definitely happened during training with Frank.  Suddenly he wasn’t getting starts and a slow decline rapidly gained impetus.  I really thought he was golden but now I am far from convinced.  Another player who is going to cost us dearly.  Cmon jack prove me wrong I know you have it in you.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

But that is not us and hasn’t been for a long time. 

My point being it isn't just us that suffers from a profit/sustainability point of view due to the rules. Not every signing will be a success, but the rules can prevent clubs from cutting their losses and in fact make them lose more money in the long run instead.

Archived