Starship and a Human city on Mars

Carl Sagan

Official commentary on the launch will begin around 12.15pm (UK time) tomorrow:

That said, there is a strong chance the launch won't happen tomorrow. There are alternate launch windows through the week. But it will be amazing if it does. If it does, it likely won't survive the whole flight, but we'll see. And, whatever happens, "excitement is guaranteed".

On 15/04/2023 at 11:23, Carl Sagan said:

At the eleventh hour, the Federal Aviation Authority have approved the launch license, "valid for 5 years". Which i think means SpaceX can launch Starships out of Boca Chica, Texas, for the next five years. Amazing if so. By the end of that period I would hope the very first Humans will be en route to Mars.

Here's one of the networks with confirmation: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/faa-approvals-maiden-flight-spacex-super-heavy-starship-rocket/

The first attempt will be on Monday. There's some talk it will be at 1pm UK time.

Sending humans to Mars within 5 years? As in stepping on to Mars, or just flying past and back again?

Musk doesn't sound especially confident,and is tempering expectations

"It's the first launch of a very complicated, gigantic rocket, so it might not launch

If we do launch, I would consider anything that does not result in the destruction of the launch pad itself to be a win"

Very difficult I guess to carry out the testing phases of something this massive without drawing attention to yourself!

Obviously he has to get to the stage of "complete confidence" before anyone would be crazy enough to board one of these things, and you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs

7 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I don't think either will happen in my lifetime. Not sure if that's me being unsure of the tech or finances, or unsure of my date of death !

I wasn’t either, which is why I was surprised to see that said.

Apparently NASA is intending to launch astronauts to Mars by the late 2030s or early 2040s, but admits even this timescale is challenging.  I think it's a very worthwhile mission and I hope we get there someday, but I can't understand anybody actually wanting to be the first human to make that trip.  Brave or insane...I can't decide which.  Probably both.

15 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Apparently NASA is intending to launch astronauts to Mars by the late 2030s or early 2040s, but admits even this timescale is challenging.  I think it's a very worthwhile mission and I hope we get there someday, but I can't understand anybody actually wanting to be the first human to make that trip.  Brave or insane...I can't decide which.  Probably both.

Fame. Whichever way it ended up.

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Fame. Whichever way it ended up.

Yeah, I can't understand anyone who wants to be famous for starters. ! Rich? yes, please. Famous? No, thanks. But to chase fame in such a dangerous and inhospitable manner would be exceptionally odd, in my opinion.  That said, I think the astronauts who undertake the journey to Mars will be in it for more than the fame, I think they will really believe in the mission. 

39 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I can't understand anyone who wants to be famous for starters. ! Rich? yes, please. Famous? No, thanks. But to chase fame in such a dangerous and inhospitable manner would be exceptionally odd, in my opinion.  That said, I think the astronauts who undertake the journey to Mars will be in it for more than the fame, I think they will really believe in the mission. 

We will certainly be able to learn a lot from who they choose to go. People who are the most fit, able, qualified and mentally stable enough to make the journey or simply those who have the most money...

It may actually be a good earth-saving strategy in the end to fire all those who fame-hungry morons with more money than sense into space 😂

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

We will certainly be able to learn a lot from who they choose to go. People who are the most fit, able, qualified and mentally stable enough to make the journey or simply those who have the most money...

It may actually be a good earth-saving strategy in the end to fire all those who fame-hungry morons with more money than sense into space 😂

A reality TV show perhaps? Where viewers vote a billionaire out of the capsule every week. Winner gets to plant the flag.

13 hours ago, David said:

Sending humans to Mars within 5 years? As in stepping on to Mars, or just flying past and back again?

2029 is the earliest it can happen. The launch window for Mars is every 26 months. The flight will take about 5 months each way. The (admittedly optimistic) timetable would be:

Q4 2024 Send up to 4 cargo Starships (probably only 2) to test landing and reliability and take initial useful cargo for future missions.

Q4 2026 Send more cargo Starships and also a couple of crew Starships (without Humans on board) to test out life support capability for the journey. The cargo Starships should include rocket fuel manufacturing and the same for oxygen and water. Life support will be developed in conjunction with the NASA Artemis Moon missions as Starship is the contracted vehicle to land NASA astronauts on the Moon (currently due in 2025).

Q1 2029 Send 2 crewed Starships on the risky mission to be the first Humans to land on Mars. By which time there should be a few hundred tonnes of hardware waiting for them (as well as fuel for the return journey).

Q1 2031 Send maybe 10 crewed Starships with a view for longer duration missions.

7 hours ago, David said:

Talking out Uranus there

You've engaged in this thread purely to make that joke, haven't you?

I'm not judging btw, I'm still keeping tabs on threads that died years ago in the hope of crowbarring in a joke I've had up my sleeve since god was a lad.

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

You've engaged in this thread purely to make that joke, haven't you?

I'm not judging btw, I'm still keeping tabs on threads that died years ago in the hope of crowbarring in a joke I've had up my sleeve since god was a lad.

Not guilty. In fact my first thought was to continue the solar pun with something about a system, the pub was calling and my creativity was not on point. It was an off the cuff lazy pun that really on reflection does not warrant any likes.