Starship and a Human city on Mars

Carl Sagan

On 01/04/2023 at 22:29, TigerTedd said:

First billionaire on the ship. Literally exactly what musk is trying to avoid. He’s trying to make space travel as accessible as air travel by making it scalable and reusable.

Do we need to travel around space, as in people like me and you who are just off up for the experience, a little holiday round the moon, maybe a night stay in a confined room floating about?

That air travel which has been made so accessible you can fly a football team from Blackpool to Nottingham, is partly responsible for the damage we have done to the planet as it is.

Why not fix that first, solar, electric, I don’t know, something that does not involve burning obscene amounts of fuel every single day? Get us to Australia within 2 hours with 0 carbon emissions. Is that not better goal than taking over other planets?

I can understand going into space to explore, experiment, develop new technologies, however surely for the rest of us peasants we would be far better staying on this planet where we have gravity and work towards fixing the mess we’ve made.

Putting people on mars to live and take over another planet feels like a pipe dream vanity project right now from a crazy billionaire that has more money than sense. Something that would make a great sci-fi book/film set in the year 4000, in reality though it’s just not going to happen.

And whilst you are correct in that it’s not Elon’s job to fix the world, he has had the money to leave a lasting legacy on this planet yet chose to buy a social media platform to tweak the algorithm so it pushes his tweets out there to more eyes. Kinda sad when you think about it.

I’ve wasted some money in my time, but jeez.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Perhaps they were the best scientists that the Nazi s just happened to use first ? Or maybe they were nazis first and foremost who decided to become scientist s to advance the cause , you decide , but for me my guess is the majority were the former 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun

Have a gander on the head honcho.  Pretty interesting.  

52 minutes ago, David said:

Do we need to travel around space, as in people like me and you who are just off up for the experience, a little holiday round the moon, maybe a night stay in a confined room floating about?

That air travel which has been made so accessible you can fly a football team from Blackpool to Nottingham, is partly responsible for the damage we have done to the planet as it is.

Why not fix that first, solar, electric, I don’t know, something that does not involve burning obscene amounts of fuel every single day? Get us to Australia within 2 hours with 0 carbon emissions. Is that not better goal than taking over other planets?

I can understand going into space to explore, experiment, develop new technologies, however surely for the rest of us peasants we would be far better staying on this planet where we have gravity and work towards fixing the mess we’ve made.

Putting people on mars to live and take over another planet feels like a pipe dream vanity project right now from a crazy billionaire that has more money than sense. Something that would make a great sci-fi book/film set in the year 4000, in reality though it’s just not going to happen.

And whilst you are correct in that it’s not Elon’s job to fix the world, he has had the money to leave a lasting legacy on this planet yet chose to buy a social media platform to tweak the algorithm so it pushes his tweets out there to more eyes. Kinda sad when you think about it.

You’re not wrong. But that sci go nivel set in the year 4000 can’t happen unless someone takes the first steps. Which would almost certainly seem like a folly at the time. We don’t just magically turn up in the year 4000 with a planet on mars, someone has to put the hard graft in to get us there. Like you can’t have William shatter without Scott Bakula. 

Maybe we’d all do something different if we had a billion quid. There’s so many things that need fixing, which would you choose if you could fix one. I feel like there needs to be a big list that all the billionaires need to chose one and make that their pet project. And if you’re late to the party, you get something crap like fat bergs. Elon has chosen space travel. It’s not an unworthy cause, they are certainly more worthy causes, but it’s not a total waste of time. 

Before planes, people probably thought, why does the average bid need to travel to Australia in under 2 hrs. In 200 years time, earth to mars might be a regular commute for a lot of ordinary people, having moved most of our dirty industries off world into asteroids or the moon. We can dirty up and already dead planet, so we can let our planet live and breath. That could be a very worthy cause. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

You’re not wrong. But that sci go nivel set in the year 4000 can’t happen unless someone takes the first steps. Which would almost certainly seem like a folly at the time. We don’t just magically turn up in the year 4000 with a planet on mars, someone has to put the hard graft in to get us there. Like you can’t have William shatter without Scott Bakula. 

Maybe we’d all do something different if we had a billion quid. There’s so many things that need fixing, which would you choose if you could fix one. I feel like there needs to be a big list that all the billionaires need to chose one and make that their pet project. And if you’re late to the party, you get something crap like fat bergs. Elon has chosen space travel. It’s not an unworthy cause, they are certainly more worthy causes, but it’s not a total waste of time. 

Before planes, people probably thought, why does the average bid need to travel to Australia in under 2 hrs. In 200 years time, earth to mars might be a regular commute for a lot of ordinary people, having moved most of our dirty industries off world into asteroids or the moon. We can dirty up and already dead planet, so we can let our planet live and breath. That could be a very worthy cause. 

I hear you, maybe it’s my tiny pea brain that can’t imagine a future where we will populate Mars and live like the Jetsons.

Currently takes 7 months to travel out there, you would need to send hundreds of thousands out there to avoid incest relationships and to cover the range of knowledge in sectors to sustain life.

Maybe it will happen and Elon will be acknowledged as the man that saved the human race, I don’t know, not like you, I or this forum and Twitter will be around to be proven right or wrong.

Maybe it’s selfish attitudes like mine and Gee Screamers that if shared would see the extinction of the human race.

Just can’t get past it being no more than a vanity project money pit and it’s frustrating, it’s frustrating whilst treading the political line here that people can amass that kind of money whilst others struggle to eat 3 times a day, never mind affording to buy a ticket for a quick trip round the moon.

8 minutes ago, David said:

I hear you, maybe it’s my tiny pea brain that can’t imagine a future where we will populate Mars and live like the Jetsons.

Currently takes 7 months to travel out there, you would need to send hundreds of thousands out there to avoid incest relationships and to cover the range of knowledge in sectors to sustain life.

Maybe it will happen and Elon will be acknowledged as the man that saved the human race, I don’t know, not like you, I or this forum and Twitter will be around to be proven right or wrong.

Maybe it’s selfish attitudes like mine and Gee Screamers that if shared would see the extinction of the human race.

Just can’t get past it being no more than a vanity project money pit and it’s frustrating, it’s frustrating whilst treading the political line here that people can amass that kind of money whilst others struggle to eat 3 times a day, never mind affording to buy a ticket for a quick trip round the moon.

The only issue to which there is a solution.  Certainly creates a significant issue on the how we'd look on the intelligence stakes to anyone else out there in the void though.

image.thumb.png.ffbfdf67e44f0490d0e766e38a8f9a83.png

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun

Have a gander on the head honcho.  Pretty interesting.  

I’m not saying there wernt some wrong uns but my guess in the main most were just scientists, took a brave man to stand up to the nazis and I’m pretty sure fear for people’s families would have come into play too 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Oops ,, I thought you wrote fat birds ,,, you were going to be in all kinds of trouble there😂

3 hours ago, David said:

7 months seems quite rapid when you can’t get a hip replacement in under 3 years

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Oops ,, I thought you wrote fat birds ,,, you were going to be in all kinds of trouble there😂

Well I wrote ‘sci go nivel’, when I meant ‘sci fi novel’. So who the hell knows what I’m on about?!

I swear people just read my posts and picture the policeman from allo allo. 

10 hours ago, David said:

I totally agree. Billionaires should not be allowed to exist, and governments should be competent enough to spend the masses of tax they should getting from the super wealthy wisely.

Unfortunately, a future where we all live on mars is more likely than a future where that is ever likely to be true. 

We're almost ready for the first flight of a stacked Starship. The date remains uncertain. I'm guessing an attempt will be made around 20th April, but some warnings to shipping and aircraft that have been released by the authorities say from 10th April, or Easter Monday! Here's a video of the stacking of the Starship atop the SuperHeavy booster. One side of the Starship is stainless steel while the other is covered with black ceramic tiles, because this is the heatshield required for reentry through Earth's atmosphere. The reason only half the ship is tiled is because the mass is everything. It's a phenomenally hard problem to build a fully reusable rocket capable of escaping Earth's deep gravity well, so making everything as light as possible is essential. The stainless steel body is only 3 or 4mm thick!

On 05/04/2023 at 10:19, David said:

He's already done this. Without Elon we would not have electric cars, and the world would be going to hell because of the internal combustion engine. And without the battery technology and the ability this provides to stabilize the grid, we wouldn't be able to rely as much on renewable energy. Then rockets SpaceX builds are reusable so transformational in terms of their sustainability. When one man has done such extraordinary things, why do people keep complaining that he should be doiing more.

Yet he is dong more, but people haven't grasped why. The reason for the extraordinarily ambitious goal of building a colony on Mars is to give Humanity transformationally better odds of surviving as a species. The first step is the hardest. Once there, we will be able to create a habitable zone throughout the inner solar system. Yes it might take a millennium, but the voices against doing this, and securing the future of our species, are becoming very loud and the time window within which we can make this happen is rapidly closing.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

He's already done this. Without Elon we would not have electric cars, and the world would be going to hell because of the internal combustion engine. And without the battery technology and the ability this provides to stabilize the grid, we wouldn't be able to rely as much on renewable energy. Then rockets SpaceX builds are reusable so transformational in terms of their sustainability. When one man has done such extraordinary things, why do people keep complaining that he should be doiing more.

Yet he is dong more, but people haven't grasped why. The reason for the extraordinarily ambitious goal of building a colony on Mars is to give Humanity transformationally better odds of surviving as a species. The first step is the hardest. Once there, we will be able to create a habitable zone throughout the inner solar system. Yes it might take a millennium, but the voices against doing this, and securing the future of our species, are becoming very loud and the time window within which we can make this happen is rapidly closing.

My question would be, you say the window is rapidly closing, how do we know this? Using the current technology and data available?

Is it not possible that in 100 years, we could reverse the time frame with advances in technology and reset the ticking time bomb?

Also to pick you up on electric cars, wasn’t Elon simply an investor not an inventor in Tesla at an early stage? Credit where credit is due, he helped push them into the mainstream, to say we would not have them had it not been for Elon is some stretch though. It may have just taken longer thats all.

In fact, even saying mainstream is a stretch as they are unaffordable for many, used you’re looking at what 30k? Even if we wanted to help save the planet it’s beyond our financial capabilities, we have an 8k Astra. Even if we could I would find it difficult to justify spending an extra 22k, plus whatever the costs would be to have an electric socket installed to get from A to B.

Just to bring SpaceX into this, the first rocket launch used 116 tons of CO2 was emitted in 165 seconds,  would it not be fair to say any emissions saved by Tesla cars gets swallowed up by SpaceX usage?

I’m just someone that’s failed at school with bare minimum intelligence, so completely open to be educated on this if the above is a load of tosh. 

57 minutes ago, David said:

My question would be, you say the window is rapidly closing, how do we know this? Using the current technology and data available?

Is it not possible that in 100 years, we could reverse the time frame with advances in technology and reset the ticking time bomb?

Also to pick you up on electric cars, wasn’t Elon simply an investor not an inventor in Tesla at an early stage? Credit where credit is due, he helped push them into the mainstream, to say we would not have them had it not been for Elon is some stretch though. It may have just taken longer thats all.

In fact, even saying mainstream is a stretch as they are unaffordable for many, used you’re looking at what 30k? Even if we wanted to help save the planet it’s beyond our financial capabilities, we have an 8k Astra. Even if we could I would find it difficult to justify spending an extra 22k, plus whatever the costs would be to have an electric socket installed to get from A to B.

Just to bring SpaceX into this, the first rocket launch used 116 tons of CO2 was emitted in 165 seconds,  would it not be fair to say any emissions saved by Tesla cars gets swallowed up by SpaceX usage?

I’m just someone that’s failed at school with bare minimum intelligence, so completely open to be educated on this if the above is a load of tosh. 

Something your not wrong about is that I don’t think Elon should I be hailed as any kind of great saviour. It’s not altruism that drives him, it’s ego and profit.

I wish I’d Gad millions of diamond money to invest in something, I would r invested in the same things. I really wish our government would’ve taken the plunge 10-15 years ago and made Britain the centre for all things green, not only would a morally good thing to do, and led by example, but we could’ve massively boosted the economy to become the first place people come to for solar panels, batteries and electric cars. Governments need to jump on these new technologies early, so it can benefit entire nations, not wait for billionaires to blaze a trail and get richer, and then join the party a decade too late. It’s sad to see such great opportunities just passing us all by. 

33 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Something your not wrong about is that I don’t think Elon should I be hailed as any kind of great saviour. It’s not altruism that drives him, it’s ego and profit.

I wish I’d Gad millions of diamond money to invest in something, I would r invested in the same things. I really wish our government would’ve taken the plunge 10-15 years ago and made Britain the centre for all things green, not only would a morally good thing to do, and led by example, but we could’ve massively boosted the economy to become the first place people come to for solar panels, batteries and electric cars. Governments need to jump on these new technologies early, so it can benefit entire nations, not wait for billionaires to blaze a trail and get richer, and then join the party a decade too late. It’s sad to see such great opportunities just passing us all by. 

I profoundly disagree. The "diamond money" is total and utter bollox. Elon moved to Canada as a 17 year old with pretty much only the clothes he was wearing and worked his nuts off, doing jobs that no one else would want to do, such as crawling into furnaces to clean them out in the brief time they were turned off because these paid the highest hourly rate so he might have enough money to go to university in America.

Following on from this, Elon doesn't accumulate money for its own sake. He doesn't have the trappings of most of the super rich and lives a lot of the time in a mobile home on site at Starbase. He accumulates wealth so it can be spent on doing good things. Yes it's small fry to him but I'm involved in a project where he's the biggest donor in giving every child in the world access to a free, world-class education. If you were interested in making money, the last thing you would do would be to start a rocket company!

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

But all the gas and coal fired power stations needed to produce this stuff like China kind of defeats the purpose 😂