Coronavirus - The Lockdown Thread

Sith Happens

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, David said:

I'm actually determined to drink less alcohol this lockdown, looking back it's probably what got me more down. Alcohol is a depressant so it's probably not the right thing to get you through it. 

Not to pry, but you did seem to be drinking a ducking lot a few months back. I did wonder how good it was for your mental health.

43 minutes ago, David said:

I'm actually determined to drink less alcohol this lockdown, looking back it's probably what got me more down. Alcohol is a depressant so it's probably not the right thing to get you through it. 

You must be drinking a different brand then David. It makes me anything but depressed.

If, perchance, I do start to wobble I'll just watch that Robert Fripp & Toyah video again to remind myself that others are having it far worse ?

Jigsaws - the Memsahib has probably done 20 or 30 since the first lockdown started. I seem to always be buying her new 1,000 piece puzzles from various websites.

I have taken on much of the cooking - probably about half of it - and I love it. I don't think I'm anywhere near @froggg's standard, certainly not as far as presentation is concerned, but as an old friend of mine once said, "It all gets mushed up in your guts".

My alcohol consumption has increased a little (ok, a lot).

We have an afternoon routine which starts at 2:30 prompt - beer o'clock. We share a 75 cl bottle of a Belgian beer followed by a 50 cl German beer, and settle down to watch a cricket match. I set up series links for the IPL and the Aussie Ladies 'Big Bash', and we've got enough games recorded to last a while.

I do a bit of work most mornings - usually a couple of hours - although I am 'retired' I still do some part-time consultancy, maintaining a company's GDPR/DPA/PCI Compliance documentation and maintaining their Standards manuals, Policies & Procedures etc.

Tonight I was having a shave, one last visit to Memsaab before lockdown.

Having trimmed the beard back enough for a clean wet shave, I thought I'd have a go at trimming my hair, just tidy the ends up perhaps.

My hair was between my ear lobes and my first chin in length, but I'd done Mrs Devil's hair in the first lockdown, and been commended by her hairdresser afterwards, so felt emboldened to give my own Barnet a light feathering and neatening up.

How wrong I was!

One hour later, the missus opens the bathroom door to find me hoovering my own head, having given myself a grade one all over. At least when I catch Covid the mask will fit easier.

I'm such a twit.

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Tonight I was having a shave, one last visit to Memsaab before lockdown.

Having trimmed the beard back enough for a clean wet shave, I thought I'd have a go at trimming my hair, just tidy the ends up perhaps.

My hair was between my ear lobes and my first chin in length, but I'd done Mrs Devil's hair in the first lockdown, and been commended by her hairdresser afterwards, so felt emboldened to give my own Barnet a light feathering and neatening up.

How wrong I was!

One hour later, the missus opens the bathroom door to find me hoovering my own head, having given myself a grade one all over. At least when I catch Covid the mask will fit easier.

I'm such a twit.

Your spelling isn't much good either ?

We were buying real ale take-out during the first lockdown. Really enjoyed it after being a lager-lout all my life but not really liking it bottled or canned.

Am rather gutted that takeaway beer isn't allowed this time. I'm an amateur compared to those who frequent the beer thread, but will definitely look to extend my repertoire this time.

I don't drink quantity, so probably still around the recommended limits.

Will also be doing jigsaws and walking. Can add Shipley Park and Linacre Reservoirs to @sage's recommendations.

I will also be doing my Christmas shopping online and you can do that at local shops as well as big online corporations. 

My friend runs a clothes, bag and accessories shop in Ripley (Pretty Swish) and is staying open for click and collect and postal sales right through lockdown.

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

We were buying real ale take-out during the first lockdown. Really enjoyed it after being a lager-lout all my life but not really liking it bottled or canned.

Am rather gutted that takeaway beer isn't allowed this time. I'm an amateur compared to those who frequent the beer thread, but will definitely look to extend my repertoire this time.

I don't drink quantity, so probably still around the recommended limits.

Will also be doing jigsaws and walking. Can add Shipley Park and Linacre Reservoirs to @sage's recommendations.

I can honestly see no logic in refusing to allow pubs to operate as an off-licence (many pubs are licenced for sale of alcohol both on and off the premises) or a delivery service this time around, especially when alcohol is on sale in supermarkets, corner shops, dedicated of-licences and the like. But that's for another thread, I suspect.

Archived