Abu Derby County

tinman

PLEASE, somebody explains this to me. 

Am I being thick? Or is everyone excited about rich owners being thick? It can’t be me! 

If Mel cannot even spend his “meagre” wealth without circumventing the rules and attracting EFL charges, what on earth do fans expect new richer owners to be able to do? ??‍♂️

Are people just dumbstruck by wealth and losing a grasp of reality?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Am I being thick? Or is everyone excited about rich owners being thick? It can’t be me! 

If Mel cannot even spend his “meagre” wealth without circumventing the rules and attracting EFL charges, what on earth do fans expect new richer owners to be able to do? ??‍♂️

Good question Mostyn. I have presumed far more lucrative sponsorship would appear. 

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Maybe the new owner has a huge company in the background waiting to sponsor our shirts and stadium?

Or maybe the new owner is so wealthy he is willing to spend millions risking a huge fine in the hope we get promoted, like QPR and Villa.

There has to be something because he is about to buy us for circa 100 million and then be hit with losses of x million per month, not exactly great business sense, unless he is planning on hitting the big time very quickly.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Good question Mostyn. I have presumed far more lucrative sponsorship would appear. 

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Maybe the new owner has a huge company in the background waiting to sponsor our shirts and stadium?

Or maybe the new owner is so wealthy he is willing to spend millions risking a huge fine in the hope we get promoted, like QPR and Villa.

There has to be something because he is about to buy us for circa 100 million and then be hit with losses of x million per month, not exactly great business sense, unless he is planning on hitting the big time very quickly.

I am under the impression that they have closed the loopholes to prevent this happening. All sponsorship is now required to be within the acceptable market rate (after the Man City Etihad deal), and I think they tried to do something to prevent a repeat of QPR happening, can't recall what. But then again, I suppose Wolves got away with it.

A few predictions from me.

We will not be the new Man City, splurging our way to the Champions League. The wealth is not in the same ballpark.

Money will be spent initially on changing managers and bringing some new players in in January, but not a complete overhaul.

We will see investment into the stadium - roof and restaurant extension to create more income (subject to Covid). 

Non FFP related spending will increase.

I suspect Mel is keen to sell not just for financial reasons, but something else.

If we do ever make it to the PL, we will see major spending on the playing side.

A lot of guesswork!

37 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

All it would mean is the new owners may spend at the same rate that Mel did. Except...they can't even spend at that level because buying back the ground was a one trick pony. If they decide to stay within FFP rules. 

A new owner can spend whatever they want as long as they accept the consequences......or get promoted before the consequences catch up with the owner lol

This "owner can't spend more than Mel is" line is rubbish, an owner can spend whatever they want if they are prepared to fight the rules or come up with a way round them.

18 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

A few predictions from me.

We will not be the new Man City, splurging our way to the Champions League. The wealth is not in the same ballpark.

Money will be spent initially on changing managers and bringing some new players in in January, but not a complete overhaul.

We will see investment into the stadium - roof and restaurant extension to create more income (subject to Covid). 

Non FFP related spending will increase.

I suspect Mel is keen to sell not just for financial reasons, but something else.

If we do ever make it to the PL, we will see major spending on the playing side.

A lot of guesswork!

I’d like to see us do what Wolves are doing.

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

Can we stick on the subject and not keep going off at political and other tangents please or we’ll have to lock the thread until further news emerges.

thankyouplease.

Well there’s been lots more posts like that since. Lock it until something happens

Posters seem intent on applying our standards to other nations here.

Oil has had a dramatic affect on middle eastern culture. It has put them head to head with western ideas and culture. What took us hundreds of years to do we are expecting these nation to do in a couple of generations.

Hanging, corporal punishment, oppression of workers, women and homosexuals were the norms in Victorian and Edwardian Britain .Yet we considered ourselves the bastion of decency and charity in the world.

We can say to them that you are doing it all wrong but it is up to them to figure it out. The UAE is the most progressive of these states and has proved open to new ideas. They have recently signed a normalisation treaty with Israel, the only Gulf state to do so.

They do not fund terrorism or back either muslim faction in the various conflicts in the area which sitting in between Saudi Arabia and Iran is a tricky stunt to pull off. In fact the country is so stable than it's become a tourist hotspot and an international hub for airlines. Could you imagine that happening in Bahgdad or Tehran.

UAE is not perfect but it's moving in the right way.

41 minutes ago, RammingStone66 said:

A new owner can spend whatever they want as long as they accept the consequences......or get promoted before the consequences catch up with the owner lol

This "owner can't spend more than Mel is" line is rubbish, an owner can spend whatever they want if they are prepared to fight the rules or come up with a way round them.

and this is what Derby County "supporters" want? Really? Some chancer treating our club as a toy, with no forethought to the future of the club and the reputation thereafter.

Derby fans label other clubs cheats, such as QPR, but are happy for us to do the same?

No thanks, I'd rather have GSE and Nigel back.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

and this is what Derby County "supporters" want? Really? Some chancer treating our club as a toy, with no forethought to the future of the club and the reputation thereafter.

Derby fans label other clubs cheats, such as QPR, but are happy for us to do the same?

No thanks, I'd rather have GSE and Nigel back.

Spend lots of money, have a large wage bill....fans complain at how much money is being wasted and unsustainable.

Tighten the purse strings, lower the wage bill....fans complain at the lack of ambition and signings whilst other clubs splash the cash.

And if your club actually turns a profit and the owners take a bit out....jeez get ready for the protests!

Unless you're winning and top or near top of the league owners will come in for fire no matter which path they take. It's a thankless task running a football club it really is.

1 minute ago, David said:

Spend lots of money, have a large wage bill....fans complain at how much money is being wasted and unsustainable.

Tighten the purse strings, lower the wage bill....fans complain at the lack of ambition and signings whilst other clubs splash the cash.

Unless you're winning and top or near top of the league owners will come in for fire no matter which path they take. It's a thankless task running a football club it really is.

for me, I can define the roles of each. I criticised Mel for undermining Paul Clement by entering the dressing room. At the moment, I do not blame Mel for Derby being in the bottom 3. I think the coaching staff should be performing better. Appointing Cocu was a coup. 

In terms of selling the club, I'm not convinced. If Mel wants rid cos it's too much hassle, then fair enough, but if it's because he's taken it as far as he can, then I disagree. I have faith in Mel and his methods. He can keep his money in his pocket for me. He just needs to make better decisions than he was 3 years ago. I believe he is making better decisions than he was 3 years ago.

25 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Posters seem intent on applying our standards to other nations here.

Oil has had a dramatic affect on middle eastern culture. It has put them head to head with western ideas and culture. What took us hundreds of years to do we are expecting these nation to do in a couple of generations.

Hanging, corporal punishment, oppression of workers, women and homosexuals were the norms in Victorian and Edwardian Britain .Yet we considered ourselves the bastion of decency and charity in the world.

We can say to them that you are doing it all wrong but it is up to them to figure it out. The UAE is the most progressive of these states and has proved open to new ideas. They have recently signed a normalisation treaty with Israel, the only Gulf state to do so.

They do not fund terrorism or back either muslim faction in the various conflicts in the area which sitting in between Saudi Arabia and Iran is a tricky stunt to pull off. In fact the country is so stable than it's become a tourist hotspot and an international hub for airlines. Could you imagine that happening in Bahgdad or Tehran.

UAE is not perfect but it's moving in the right way.

And in a lot of ways I approve of their stance. I.e. if you go to the UAE to live/work/holiday you have to abide by their laws and institutions. Not like over here, where you can get legal aid and support to challenge virtually anything!

Archived