Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It could be done like the Yanks did to Man Utd., borrow someone else's £2billion and put the debts on the club.

I think the Glazers get a bit of a bad rep by sulky United fans that have gone off crying & set up a non league club. 

I get them being upset about using 750m of finance to buy the club & maybe they should start paying it off rather than keep refinancing. But in the glazers time united have won 5 premier leagues, 4 league cups, 1 FA Cup & a Champions League.

Also since whiskey nose retired they've backed every single manager.

Managerial Appointments may not have been right but theyve re-invested united profits & they cannot be accused of not backing managers.

90m on Pogba, 80m on slab head, 500k a week on sanchez. Without googling i wouldn't be surprised if theyve spent close to a billion on transfers since fergie left

Their fans have got sulky because they wouldn't spend 120m on sancho in a covid transfer market. Obviously buying with debt isn't cool but i do think they get worse press than they deserve 

19 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

I think the Glazers get a bit of a bad rep by sulky United fans that have gone off crying & set up a non league club. 

I get them being upset about using 750m of finance to buy the club & maybe they should start paying it off rather than keep refinancing. But in the glazers time united have won 5 premier leagues, 4 league cups, 1 FA Cup & a Champions League.

Managerial Appointments may not have been right but theyve re-invested united profits & they cannot be accused of not backing managers.

90m on Pogba, 80m on slab head, 500k a week on sanchez. Without googling i wouldn't be surprised if theyve spent close to a billion on transfers since fergie left

Their fans have got sulky because they wouldn't spend 120m on sancho in a covid transfer market. Obviously buying with debt isn't cool but i do think they get worse press than they deserve 

They won’t spend all the money they make is the issue the glazers actually to a profit out of it rather than reinvesting everything. 

8 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Does nobody else feel that a: it probably won't happen and b: even if it did there's more chance of it turning into a nightmare than a success? 

How many times have "rich" investors come in and basically rogered a club? 

I fear another Fatwaz at best. 

Totally agree. Also think there's a little discussed angle on here...even if this guy had the funds, do we actually want someone to come in & start splashing the cash?

Sure, it sounds exciting but we've seen countless examples of big spending clubs not achieving success. Its not as simple as throwing a few quid at it all, more a steady build of a squad & a couple of key acquisitions to that existing settled squad to achieve success. Even Man City, the gold standard of obscene spending, took a few years to land their first Premiership title after the arrival of Sheikh Mansoor.

I'd have thought the lessons of Lionel Pickering 1991-1994 & Mel Morris 2015-2017 would have put folk off going down this route again. We've managed to remould the squad over the past 18 months & have an emphasis on youth development...I'd hate all that to be cast aside & new owners go on a Forest-esque spending splurge. 

6 hours ago, loweman2 said:

2033EE8A-37F2-41EA-9DB2-C4B2C221659E.jpeg

Might you like to inform us all why you are of the opinion that our potential new owner might be compared to the devil?  I share a dictionary definition of the word devil, so you can decide if he is best described as 1 2 3 or 4.

1 the supreme spirit of evil; Satan. A subordinate evil spirit at enmity with God, and having power to afflict humans both with bodily disease and with spiritual corruption.

2 an atrociously wicked, cruel, or ill-tempered person.

3 a person who is very clever, energetic, reckless, or mischievous.

4 a person, usually one in unfortunate or pitiable circumstances: The poor devil kept losing jobs through no fault of his own.

21 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd have thought the lessons of Lionel Pickering 1991-1994 & Mel Morris 2015-2017 would have put folk off going down this route again. We've managed to remould the squad over the past 18 months & have an emphasis on youth development...I'd hate all that to be cast aside & new owners go on a Forest-esque spending splurge. 

Who says we will go on a spending splurge? Sheffield United are owned by Arab Billionaires and haven’t bought success. 

Morris has wanted to sell for years. This sale could be vital for the future of the club and means we stop taking loans out to keep functioning. Let’s see what happens. As long as the sheikh has legitimate funds I don’t see a problem. Even better if Morris and Pearce were to stay on in some capacity.

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I’m pretty sure he sold to falwaz before his death  

he wanted out as his family were taking abuse that made him walk away  

No it was definately after.

17 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Totally agree. Also think there's a little discussed angle on here...even if this guy had the funds, do we actually want someone to come in & start splashing the cash?

Sure, it sounds exciting but we've seen countless examples of big spending clubs not achieving success. Its not as simple as throwing a few quid at it all, more a steady build of a squad & a couple of key acquisitions to that existing settled squad to achieve success. Even Man City, the gold standard of obscene spending, took a few years to land their first Premiership title after the arrival of Sheikh Mansoor.

What we need and have needed for a few years is someone who can afford to sign 2 or 3 key players without having to sell a key player to do it.

Our squad at the minute is probably 70% there. If someone came in and said to the manger choose 3 realistic players and they are yours, it could be the difference between struggling and automatic challengers.

Tomori, Harry Wilson and Adam Armstrong please.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

You are absolutely right. Ultimately, the success of an owner is down to who they pick as manager and this appears to be almost entirely down to pot luck as to whether they are successful or not. I cannot think of one club who continue to make the right managerial appointments even when they have a seemingly bottomless pit of money. There are many clubs who have been held up as the right way to run a club (Swansea, Watford, Bolton, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough, Stoke) and they always end up in tears. 

Mel has done wonders for this club off the pitch, and backed all his managers financially, but has not found the right man yet. 

I keep wondering if this chap actually likes football or see’s us as a profile raising exercise. I know Mel wants to sell to a responsible buyer but I think he’s had the wool pulled over his eyes twice by smooth talkers. (Rush and Rowett, but I must stress that’s only my opinion.)

17 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

There is nothing wrong with having money to spend so long as you have a manager who can spend it correctly. Maxwell, Pickering, Gadsby and Morris all had success. Morris less so, but far more than the dross under Nigel and the Americans. The problems start when the money runs out, or it is spent badly.

Back when Pickering started spending, Blackburn were doing the same. They spent wisely, we didn’t. They ended up winning the Premier League. Man City were in league 1 before the money came in, Leeds look good in the prem now, they were in league 1 due to bad money management, they are now in the prem due to good money management, same with Wolves, same with Villa, same with Brighton. The odd time you get a Burnley or a Blackpool, but without money it is very unlikely you get far in this game.

I would rather take the chance that we get money and a manager spends it well, rather than go back to the days of Phil Brown and Nigel Clough not having a pot to piss in and sitting in the bottom half of the championship for the next 10 years.

Right now Morris has to sell. He cannot put money into the club anymore, and he recently got a loan to pay running costs. He has to sell the club, and I prefer he sells to someone who can fund a promotion push than someone who cannot.

As for FFP. There is nothing stopping a club who usually get 30k crowds, from investing good money in the squad, if it is done properly. We can also still have the academy produce players, but instead of complimenting them with Colin Kazim Richards after a one and a half year search for a target man, maybe we could at least sign someone worthy of scoring more than 4 goals a season.

57 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Might you like to inform us all why you are of the opinion that our potential new owner might be compared to the devil?  I share a dictionary definition of the word devil, so you can decide if he is best described as 1 2 3 or 4.

1 the supreme spirit of evil; Satan. A subordinate evil spirit at enmity with God, and having power to afflict humans both with bodily disease and with spiritual corruption.

2 an atrociously wicked, cruel, or ill-tempered person.

3 a person who is very clever, energetic, reckless, or mischievous.

4 a person, usually one in unfortunate or pitiable circumstances: The poor devil kept losing jobs through no fault of his own.

I see no comparison being made simply a quote as old as the hills, so I share with you the context of that saying, if you dance with the devil, remember it’s he who calls the tune. So perhaps you won’t be able to stop the dance until he says so.

Or if the tune gets changed to another one that you are not so keen to keep dancing to, especially, perhaps with a different dance partner, you mightn’t be able to get away.

could be apt, then again could be a load of old tosh, bit like all that glistens isn’t always gold ? We shall see. ?‍♂️?

I'm so sick of not winning games, as long as the guy isnt involved in very bad practices I'm starting to warm to guy coming in hopefully spending some decent money and changing everything. Its getting boring under Morris now the moneys run out the chance at success has long gone we need fresh impetus I think and hopefully a few quality players to come in January. 

9 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I'm so sick of not winning games, as long as the guy isnt involved in very bad practices I'm starting to warm to guy coming in hopefully spending some decent money and changing everything. Its getting boring under Morris now the moneys run out the chance at success has long gone we need fresh impetus I think and hopefully a few quality players to come in January. 

Is the potential investment and spending money on players different than if Mel just splashed the cash in Jan in terms of FFP? One minute we are walking a tightrope with FFP, the next there is talk of big spending? Can someone simply explain to me how this works?

12 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

The interesting thing is it's not just the moneys ran out it's just there is no way of getting it in to the club.this is what ffp does...it dont matter how rich the owner is the rules stop you from pumping money in.thats why there is so much  frustration of parachute payments because it's an income that the other teams cant match.when and if this takeover happens it will be very interesting as to how if at all we get around combating the rules if the Dubai guy want to inject cash.stadium rename? Plaza?roof? Averting these are a few ways I can think of but cant think of many more......

Once we have a fully fit squad (or near enough) think if we get a takeover done and can spend I think we’re probably a quality striker short of a good side. Imagine having mitrovic up front? I’m not saying we’ll get him but someone of his calibre which was the difference when Fulham loaned him from Newcastle and his goals helped them get promoted 

Archived