Abu Derby County

tinman

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not really.

We're a middling-sized town club who punched above our weight for a decade half a century ago under the greatest manager of them all.

Always like your posts @Eddie  says it how it is , says it with the vast knowledge  and experience of being an avid  and ardent Derby County fan  I'm only 10 years behind you ..please don't hold it against me ??

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

There's a world of difference between staying a week in a plush Dubai hotel & experiencing the crushing brutality of normal life in those countries. Happy to be corrected but I'm also certain openly gay couples can not book double rooms in hotels in any Gulf State.

Like Blatter memorably said about LGBT fans travelling to Qatar for the World Cup in 2022, they're fine so long as they don't do anything?!

Yeah I know. I think their human rights record is crap.

I was just pointing a few non-black&white things to consider. Other people's culture init - trying not to sound facetious there. Oh and I think the Church used to say similar about gay priests? Do 'we' boycott or agitate for change or just mind our 'own business'? 

Oh and I was being arsey - I want to take the money - do you remember the 70s team? Or even back to Mac1. I want to be winning stuff! I'm a Glory Hunter is all ? ? 

ps I still think he'll be a Fawaz2! ?

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Oh yes, Im sure all these questions will be posed at the press conference & his background probed endlessly by Derby fans before they give him the green light to bring Andy Carroll in on a 5 year contract ?

Lets not pretend there's any conditionality here other than 'he's very rich' or that any amount of evidence is going to sway that self-interest.

Out of interest, what did we know about Mel before he took over?

Local man, Derby fan, worth £500m, made his money through Candy Crush and other ventures, anything else?

Did we know anything about his family background? Did we know about his political beliefs? Did we know about his stance on human rights issues? Did we know about any high profile friends or associates he has? Did we know what he got up to behind closed doors?

Personally all I know about Mel is what he has done while owner of our club. That’s my only point of reference and my perception of him is based off of that, but people who know him may actually paint a different picture.

Surely if you think it’s all about the colour of Sheikh Khaled’s money, then surely for Mel and Pearce to sell to this man, it reflects badly on them too by the simple fact they are doing business with him and suggests they don’t care about human rights either?

Like I’ve said, I don’t know very much about Sheikh Khaled. Don’t get me wrong, he could be a genuinely terrible guy who does and supports genuinely terrible things. But until it comes to light, what can we do but hope that Mel is making the right call and hope for the best?

36 minutes ago, irobinson said:

replace the M with a B

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8898967/Abu-Dhabi-royal-Sheikh-Khaled-closing-takeover-Derby-County.html

Derby are set to be taken over by the cousin of Man City owner Sheikh Mansour

Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan is close to getting a green light for the deal

Current owner Mel Morris is selling to a man valued at close to £500million 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I know. I think their human rights record is crap.

I was just pointing a few non-black&white things to consider. Other people's culture init - trying not to sound facetious there. Oh and I think the Church used to say similar about gay priests? Do 'we' boycott or agitate for change or just mind our 'own business'? 

Oh and I was being arsey - I want to take the money - do you remember the 70s team? Or even back to Mac1. I want to be winning stuff! I'm a Glory Hunter is all ? ? 

We didnt win anything under Mac1...I keep telling you this ?

Fair point about the Church. I take the bits I like & condemn the bits I dont. I didnt choose how people interpret religion, nor did I choose our potential new owners, so thats how I plan to rationalise it while still identifying with both.

8 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

...Saudi Arabia is indeed somewhat more oppressive, as seen from a Westerners point of view and indeed they still have executions, but so does the USA, however, from my very extensive knowledge and experience of the UAE, they are one of the most enlightened countries in the region.

My wife and I have welcomed all of our families and many of our friends when we lived in the UAE, including a gay couple who shared a hotel bedroom, and all of them commented on how safe it was when walking around the streets and souks, and the politness of the local Emiraties.

At the same time, I have witnessed some of the most appalling behaviour from Brits who come for the holiday and think they can do what they want, get drunk, dress inappropriately, abuse the local people and taxi drivers, with one couple being caught having sex on an open beach, and when they get arrested, ask, "what have I done wrong"?

The Middle East is not the UK and they have their own rules and when you're in another country you abide by them, not abuse their hospitality.

If the Abu Dhabi royal family want to buy Derby County, I'm all for it, and we might see some more decorum on how people respect other people, from other parts of the world.

So what they have a lot of money, but we all rejoiced when Mel Morris took over, and thought he would bankroll the club to the Premier League, but that money has run out. So if you want to get to the "promised land" we have to look elsewhere.

Indeed it is interesting to hear a 'local' viewpoint. Some valid points to consider. 

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

We didnt win anything under Mac1...I keep telling you this ?

? ? #COYR

Did you read @ImARam2's post? (I just quoted it) It's a potential salve to your 'moral stance'? Where would you be happy for 'the money' to come from? The Co-op Bank?! ?? 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You are only saying that because you are a Derby fan. 
burnley, QPR, palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc etc etc all miles better investment Than Derby 

Burnley (probably the cheapest prem club to buy) who are relegation candidates, rubbish ground that needs replacing and horrible training facilities are costing that Egyptian £200m... quite pricey for a team who could well end up in our division next year. 

Derby have been built to be a premier league club off the pitch. Outstanding infrastructure. Top 10 in Europe training complex. Academy that is starting to produce players good enough for the first 11. We’re just suffering a hangover from so many different managers creating a bloated ageing squad. 

We’ve got our own problems but we’re not far away from challenging for promotion. They might see this season as an FFP write off and think they can put some investment in during January. 

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Out of interest, what did we know about Mel before he took over?

Local man, Derby fan, worth £500m, made his money through Candy Crush and other ventures, anything else?

Did we know anything about his family background? Did we know about his political beliefs? Did we know about his stance on human rights issues? Did we know about any high profile friends or associates he has? Did we know what he got up to behind closed doors?

Personally all I know about Mel is what he has done while owner of our club. That’s my only point of reference and my perception of him is based off of that, but people who know him may actually paint a different picture.

Surely if you think it’s all about the colour of Sheikh Khaled’s money, then surely for Mel and Pearce to sell to this man, it reflects badly on them too by the simple fact they are doing business with him and suggests they don’t care about human rights either?

Like I’ve said, I don’t know very much about Sheikh Khaled. Don’t get me wrong, he could be a genuinely terrible guy who does and supports genuinely terrible things. But until it comes to light, what can we do but hope that Mel is making the right call and hope for the best?

Mel isn't part of the infrastructure that controls the human rights abuses.

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

You are only saying that because you are a Derby fan. 
burnley, QPR, palace, Bournemouth, Southampton etc etc etc all miles better investment Than Derby 

Burnley - £50m more because they're already in the PL. How much more to get the club's infrastructure up to our standards? Stadium, training ground, academy, etc... Local competition with Man Utd/City means it'll always be an uphill battle.

QPR - Cheaper to buy than us. Large expenditure to get the infrastructure up to our standards. A lot of competition from the London clubs...

Palace - Looking at £200-250m to buy. Infrastructure is worse than our so more money required. Competition with London clubs.

Bournemouth - In receipt of parachute money which means the buying price remains quite high. More restricted than us in terms of P&S. Infrastructure is probably lagging behind most Champimship clubs so an extremely large amount of money will be required.

Southampton - Probably one of the better 'investment' opportunities, but do the owners want to sell? You'd be looking at £250-300m.

If this guy thinks he can get us up within 3 seasons, then we're a better investment than the other PL clubs you listed. Howevwr, based on the failed Newcastle takeover, I assume the PL will block this guy buying a PL club anyway. Championship (or lower) clubs? We're up there amongst the better options. Someone could get Sunderland for a bargain fee, but risky hoping for 2 promotions in a short space of time. Norwich, Forest and Wednesday will be up there but will their owners want to sell? After then you're looking at dross like Blackburn, Stoke and Middlesbrough.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If this guy thinks he can get us up within 3 seasons, then we're a better investment than the other PL clubs you listed.

If he's Mel's age maybe he remembers our Glory Days in the 70s? Perhaps he's already a fan?! ?

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Attempting.  Fair enough. A bit of humour not your thing.?

All those clubs are traditionally third and fourth division clubs who may be happy to have sustained growth over a number of years. What sustained growth . I imagine Wycombe's will come to an abrupt end this season and their in this league because of point averaging last season.  Brentford won't be as good I fancy, and are exceeding there expectation. Exeter have been up and down the bottom two leagues for years.  Essentially the club has been fan owned with Morris. Your not selling this too me.

Were a top flight team who've been in the sailing in the doldrums to long. We can't afford new rigging, half the squad has woodworm and Mels ran out of rum ration . If this a route out and a way of probably  avoiding a future administration worth a shot.  Not a fan of overseas ownership or really even out of town as a rule but needs must. 

Hate to say it, we're not a top flight team any more ... 

In my 30 odd years supporting Derby less then a third of them have been top flight

Like I say, I'd be great if we end up getting a war chest but has the distinct possibility to go tits up

29 minutes ago, Nijul_cluff said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8898967/Abu-Dhabi-royal-Sheikh-Khaled-closing-takeover-Derby-County.html

Derby are set to be taken over by the cousin of Man City owner Sheikh Mansour

Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan is close to getting a green light for the deal

Current owner Mel Morris is selling to a man valued at close to £500million 

Think its difficult to say the valuer of our possible new owner as he would be considered a state backed businessman.

Bit like PSG and Man City's owners, yes there's a name but that name is backed by a crazy amount of family and state money. 

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I never said Mel was, but surely if Mel thought this man was actively supportive and involved in any wrongdoing of that nature, he would back away from the deal because it would reflect badly on Mel too?

So we’re giving Sheikh Khaled a hard time purely because of his name, and because of the country and family he is a part of? Without knowing any precise or intimate details of his individual background, his personal views, or motives?

Do we actually know how much power, influence or involvement he has within the royal family and the ruling class of the UAE?

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yeah but he was part of the infrastructure which created Candy Crush ?

weighing-up.gif?resize=500,225&ssl=1

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Think its difficult to say the valuer of our possible new owner as he would be considered a state backed businessman.

Bit like PSG and Man City's owners, yes there's a name but that name is backed by a crazy amount of family and state money. 

Yes i get that. Bit like if you're 15 and buy fifa 21 amd want to buy some ultimate team packs but can't afford them you ask your dad

Archived