Philip Cocu and the push for physicality

TuffLuff

Noticed a lot of threads and posts over the last weeks and months saying how much we need a striker, winger or whatever. One thing the Kazim-Richards deal is showing is that Cocu is consistently addressing an issue we see game by game that no one picks up and that is our lack of physicality. This is in part due to our youth set up, but its a vital side of our game that’s been missing (aside odd players like Johnson) for a long time. Teams can easily out battle us.

Now look who Cocu has brought in his time.

Bielik-tall, composing, gets stuck in

Ths return of CM- Enjoys the physical game with defenders

Rooney-Yeah he doesn’t really do the running about and getting tackles in anymore but he knows that game

Te Weirwik- We are told he likes a tackle and he certainly has presence 

Jozwiak-Battler

Kazim Richards- Don’t need to look too far to realise he likes the physical side of the game.

Point is, is our biggest problem that we have seen too many games in recent times that we say the generic phrase of ‘it looks like boys vs men out there’? Even at this point, we have goals, we should now have more creativity but Cocu may have actually addressed our biggest weakness and no ones actually paid attention to it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

?

Not letting this turn into a Te Weirik thread, the point stands as to why he was seen as a target. It might not have as yet worked out by those who have written him off early, but he falls into the category of the type of player Cocu has brought 

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Not letting this turn into a Te Weirik thread, the point stands as to why he was seen as a target. It might not have as yet worked out by those who have written him off early, but he falls into the category of the type of player Cocu has brought 

Does it? I assumed he was bought for his ball-playing ability out from the back.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does it? I assumed he was bought for his ball-playing ability out from the back.

My issue is that I saw him as a replacement for Keogh,that’s my fault not MTW.

The reality(at the moment)is that he’s started like a bad Albentossa.

I’m hoping that we can help get him performing better.

Have you had a poll on him yet??

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Noticed a lot of threads and posts over the last weeks and months saying how much we need a striker, winger or whatever. One thing the Kazim-Richards deal is showing is that Cocu is consistently addressing an issue we see game by game that no one picks up and that is our lack of physicality. This is in part due to our youth set up, but its a vital side of our game that’s been missing (aside odd players like Johnson) for a long time. Teams can easily out battle us.

Rooney-Yeah he doesn’t really do the running about and getting tackles in anymore but he knows that game

Jozwiak-Battler

Kazim Richards- Don’t need to look too far to realise he likes the physical side of the game.

Point is, is our biggest problem that we have seen too many games in recent times that we say the generic phrase of ‘it looks like boys vs men out there’? Even at this point, we have goals, we should now have more creativity but Cocu may have actually addressed our biggest weakness and no ones actually paid attention to it.

Good points. The very best teams have blend & without that, become easy to nullify. A patient build up & tactical flexibility is sound in theory but the battle also has to be won against the knucklehead centre halves & agricultural midfielders we play against in this division.

Bielik in midfield & CKR will signficantly change the dynamic of the team. Not just in terms of winning & holding the ball or improving our aerial presence but also in providing that mean streak that all winning teams have. When both are integrated, Im confident we'll start to see the very best of Jozwiak/Ibe/Lawrence around them (their set positions allowing the 3 to rotate at will) & Sibley/Knight kicking on knowing they're not having to carry the attacking effort. 

Bradley Johnson was under appreciated for the role he performed in our midfield at the time. He won possession a lot of the time in the air by just being a fearless unit that other players were afraid to go up against. Can't think of anyone else in recent times that put doubt in the opposition's mind like that just through physical presence and commitment to the challenge 

18 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

My issue is that I saw him as a replacement for Keogh,that’s my fault not MTW.

The reality(at the moment)is that he’s started like a bad Albentossa.

I’m hoping that we can help get him performing better.

Have you had a poll on him yet??

Christ, give the guy a break.

I hate to say it but so far Te Wierik looks more like the guy who steals your bird in Mosh rather than a classy and composed centre half primed for Championship action.

But he needs time, he needs games, he needs TLC, he needs backing.

Hopefully he doesn’t get the Jozefzoon treatment.

5 hours ago, JupiterRam said:

Bradley Johnson was under appreciated for the role he performed in our midfield at the time. He won possession a lot of the time in the air by just being a fearless unit that other players were afraid to go up against. Can't think of anyone else in recent times that put doubt in the opposition's mind like that just through physical presence and commitment to the challenge 

Sorry but that's just complete and utter revisionist ********.

He was a ducking embarrassment at times and nobody 'feared' playing against him.

You're confusing 14 games be was very good for us with the other 126 games he played in which he was between poor, very poor or at best sightly above averag

You must only have watched Derby since the 2018/19 season.

8 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

MTW needs to get near to the ball first before anyone can make a judgement on his tackling abilities. 

14 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Jozwiak-Battler

He has the presence of a leaf, on a tree, in a strong wind, in Autumn. 

12 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good points. The very best teams have blend & without that, become easy to nullify. A patient build up & tactical flexibility is sound in theory but the battle also has to be won against the knucklehead centre halves & agricultural midfielders we play against in this division.

Bielik in midfield & CKR will signficantly change the dynamic of the team. Not just in terms of winning & holding the ball or improving our aerial presence but also in providing that mean streak that all winning teams have. When both are integrated, Im confident we'll start to see the very best of Jozwiak/Ibe/Lawrence around them (their set positions allowing the 3 to rotate at will) & Sibley/Knight kicking on knowing they're not having to carry the attacking effort. 

I think that’s point that’s been missing for years, you are allowed to play the style of football Cocu wants but you’ve got to win the individual battles first. Something I’m pretty sure Cocu spoke about in preseason 

Archived