This isn't all on Cocu

MackworthRamIsGod

52 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Look at Cocu's work at Fenerbahce. They were just above the relegation zone when he was fired, and did considerably better when he went. I'm sure all of his work has solid principles behind them, but I don't think he's a man motivator. I don't think he is the guy, when the team has their backs against the wall, are going to listen to. 

I think he's guilty of over complicating things. Football is a pretty simply game really. I like the squad Cocu's building. But much like I felt with Nigel Clough, he's never going to be the man who takes the squad up. It'll be his successor that is rewarded for it. 

He did not take his own coaching team I beleive and it’s hard to get ideas across if your own coaching team don’t buy into what you’re doing ...we got Cocu off of his influence on young players his short tenure at a difficult place like Turkey is neither here nor there ...hardly any foreign players stay in Turkey long ...there is a reason for that ....managers the same ...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, S8TY said:

He did not take his own coaching team I beleive and it’s hard to get ideas across if your own coaching team don’t buy into what you’re doing ...we got Cocu off of his influence on young players his short tenure at a difficult place like Turkey is neither here nor there ...hardly any foreign players stay in Turkey long ...there is a reason for that ....managers the same ...

He can't or won't adapt. This is not the Eredivisie. The Turkish Super Lig isn't the Eredivisie. Change your tactics to suit the players you've got and the league you're in.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's had plenty of time to adjust his style of play to what we do have. Managers don't often have the luxury of having every player they want at their disposal, sometimes they have to make do!

Managers don’t often have Covid, no fans, no match day revenue, a soft transfer embargo and key players injured either though do they?

Just now, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Covid, no fans, no match day revenue,

What do those 3 things have to do with his team being rubbish? EVERY other manager is in this league is dealing with that. It's an excuse. Same as other teams have injuries. 

54 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Commentary from the game " good teams move the ball quickly".       Under Cocu we almost never do this  preferring slow build up, back passing and getting ourselves into trouble, we don't press other teams  - its horrible.

But Cocu has said the same we didn’t move it quick enough ...some of our play is very good when it comes off but it is far too slow but players have to think quicker and make braver decisions ...perhaps some of them just aren’t up to it ...

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Duncan said something along the lines of the manager being a key reason he came to Derby. That and that there was a clear pathway for youngsters to get into the first team.

Yes he did mate I get youngsters and new signings saying things but what I meant was you rarely here any player say the gaffer this or the gaffer that or mention him even after a string of good results I just find it odd from my own experience...

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I find it totally weird this constant pushing back of an appraisal of Cocu's tenure until all of the stars and the moon's are aligned in the constellation of Capricorn or some other improbable outcome.

Let's wait until the injured players have returned let's wait until the new signings have bedded in let's wait until ad infinitum. The guys been here for over a year now which is MORE than sufficient time to make an informed judgement on anyones performance. 

So 3 games into a season when he “almost” has his team (once some players are back from injury and new signings have bedded in) is the right time to get rid. He’s not had “his” team for most of the time he’s been here. We couldn’t do any transfer business until late because of the ducking EFL charges and we don’t have a pot to piss in for transfers there had to sell to buy - takes time. 

Absolutely not the time to twist. Too early. 10 games time - yeah maybe - however starting with 3 defeats does put the pressure on. Two difficult games coming up, can’t see us getting any more than 1 point (and thats being super optimistic) which then makes Huddersfield and Forest massive. Minimum 3 or 4 points from those 2 games will he needed otherwise (while I still think it would be too early and the wrong move) the trigger could be pulled 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What do those 3 things have to do with his team being rubbish? EVERY other manager is in this league is dealing with that. It's an excuse. Same as other teams have injuries. 

I’d say quite a flipping lot to be honest. Fans in the ground can impact players performance. No match day revenue means significantly less cash to do the transfers Cocu wants. In terms of Covid, there no way of knowing how that’s affecting the players mindset, whether there afraid to play in the circumstances or have lost family or friends to the virus.  Every team and every player will be dealing with different aspects of that in different ways. Some will be coping better than others but it’s still a massive factor as it is in disrupting all of our lives at present.
I notice you didn’t challenge me on the transfer embargo so assuming you don’t argue that could be causing some of the current issues? That’s certainly not something 95% of other teams have had to deal with on top of the other issues.
However, if you’re willing to disregard those facts and write Cocu and the team and the season off after 3 games that’s entirely up to you. I’m just saying in my view, with all that taken into account, I think it’s pretty reasonable to lay off a bit and give our team and manager more than 3 games before we start demanding a new manager. Which by the way, will just lead to another couple of seasons of trying to implement new staff, new tactics, new players etc etc and more of the same inconsistent performances and chopping and changing that are the very reason some are suggesting we should be getting shot of Cocu at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

I’d say quite a flipping lot to be honest. Fans in the ground can impact players performance. No match day revenue means significantly less cash to do the transfers Cocu wants. In terms of Covid, there no way of knowing how that’s affecting the players mindset, whether there afraid to play in the circumstances or have lost family or friends to the virus.  Every team and every player will be dealing with different aspects of that in different ways. Some will be coping better than others but it’s still a massive factor as it is in disrupting all of our lives at present.
I notice you didn’t challenge me on the transfer embargo so assuming you don’t argue that could be causing some of the current issues? That’s certainly not something 95% of other teams have had to deal with on top of the other issues.
However, if you’re willing to disregard those facts and write Cocu and the team and the season off after 3 games that’s entirely up to you. I’m just saying in my view, with all that taken into account, I think it’s pretty reasonable to lay off a bit and give our team and manager more than 3 games before we start demanding a new manager. Which by the way, will just lead to another couple of seasons of trying to implement new staff, new tactics, new players etc etc and more of the same inconsistent performances and chopping and changing that are the very reason some are suggesting we should be getting shot of Cocu at the moment. 

The transfer embargo is a fair enough one. The rest are just excuses. Everyone else has to deal with those things, Cocu has to adapt to that. We lost 4-0 at home, we couldn't beat Barrow before penalties, we lost to Luton (they have significantly less cash than us anyway!). Why would we lay off them? They're serving up absolute poo on the pitch. You know it, I know it, Cocu knows it. And so far, he seems to be pretty devoid of answers.

Yesterday is straight out of the beginning of last season. It's regression. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Jozwiak, for example, couldn't have been brought in without first selling. Which might not have been available. 

What has that to do with soft embargo? But 'soft' embargo means things like one in one out, limited wages? Not convinced tbh. Aftera;l we've known for some time that we've no hold-up player and so we still have no such player - embargo matters?

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The transfer embargo is a fair enough one. The rest are just excuses. Everyone else has to deal with those things, Cocu has to adapt to that. We lost 4-0 at home, we couldn't beat Barrow before penalties, we lost to Luton (they have significantly less cash than us anyway!). Why would we lay off them? They're serving up absolute poo on the pitch. You know it, I know it, Cocu knows it. And so far, he seems to be pretty devoid of answers.

Yesterday is straight out of the beginning of last season. It's regression. 

Well, fair enough if that’s your opinion mate. I just done agree with you. One thing that drives me absolutely nuts about football these days is the over reactionary clamour to see managers heads role whenever results are poor and we’re in a rough patch.

I mean, of course none of us are happy with the start of the season. But sometimes, that’s life. You’ve got to suck it up, keep working hard and hope things come good. I’ve yet to see anyone justify how and why a new manager or giving the players stick will actually help the situation. 

4 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Well, fair enough if that’s your opinion mate. I just done agree with you. One thing that drives me absolutely nuts about football these days is the over reactionary clamour to see managers heads role whenever results are poor and we’re in a rough patch.

I mean, of course none of us are happy with the start of the season. But sometimes, that’s life. You’ve got to suck it up, keep working hard and hope things come good. I’ve yet to see anyone justify how and why a new manager or giving the players stick will actually help the situation. 

Winning two out of the next six games looks difficult. Huddersfield and Florist being our best chances on paper.

I have seen some shocking defending lately and it’s not just us especially when you look at the premiership this season. Probably all down to

tackling being banned

yellow card for any mistimed attempt to tackle or block 

no closing down crosses

no one on a post at corners

players and managers being highly paid for failure

oh and some idiot in a room rewriting the rules of football making it unattractive and only suitable for cheats to prosper  

Archived