Forsyth

YorkshireRam

Think it’s a bit harsh to blame him for the result today to be fair. I criticised him early on when he was getting roasted by Cornick, but he improved a bit as the game went on. He still wasn’t great defensively, but he was decent on the ball, and neither goal was his fault (at least not solely). Was just about a decent enough showing from him overall imo.

I do agree with the general point though. Much as Forsyth is rightly regarded as one of Derby’s best fullbacks this century, he’s not the player he once was. Still a good player to have for competition for places, but he’s not good enough as a starter anymore. He’s too slow and makes too many mistakes. This is why I was worried about Lowe leaving, Forsyth is a massive step down. Anyone who couldn’t see that Lowe was a level above Forsyth last season is blind imo. If we want to get promotion, we’re either going to have to sign a new LB, or hope Buchanan turns out to be good enough there.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s a bit harsh to blame him for the result today to be fair. I criticised him early on when he was getting roasted by Cornick, but he improved a bit as the game went on. He still wasn’t great defensively, but he was decent on the ball, and neither goal was his fault (at least not solely). Was just about a decent enough showing from him overall imo.

I do agree with the general point though. Much as Forsyth is rightly regarded as one of Derby’s best fullbacks this century, he’s not the player he once was. Still a good player to have for competition for places, but he’s not good enough as a starter anymore. He’s too slow and makes too many mistakes. This is why I was worried about Lowe leaving, Forsyth is a massive step down. Anyone who couldn’t see that Lowe was a level above Forsyth last season is blind imo. If we want to get promotion, we’re either going to have to sign a new LB, or hope Buchanan turns out to be good enough there.

This post has the balance right. 
Fozzy made his 200th appearance for the club today and has been a wonderful servant to to the club and deserves respect. That doesn’t mean fans can’t point out that he is no longer good enough for a team that harbours intentions of being in the top six. There’s no need for the woeful, and shouldn’t wear the shirt again comments as he is being picked and there should be no doubt he gives 100%. The bottom line is we need a LB in who is equal to Byrne on the other side so there is no argument and any need for some of the comments you see. 

To paraphrase an old thread.

'Return to barracks Archie Brown, your team needs you'.

Call me reckless, and maybe stone hearted/ignorant for overlooking Buchanan, but if you're good enough your old enough, and he's ready.

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

To paraphrase an old thread.

'Return to barracks Archie Brown, your team needs you'.

Call me reckless, and maybe stone hearted/ignorant for overlooking Buchanan, but if you're good enough your old enough, and he's ready.

I may be tempted if we were playing wing backs but he isn't ready defensively for playing 1st team in a back 4. 

34 minutes ago, Saffy van der Ram said:

Please close this thread, it’s embarrassing. As is most of this forum at present. If you want instant success and perfect football, go support Man City.

Can you quote where I've even implicitly inferred either of those? I've fairly eloquently stated my issue with a weak link in the side based on a criticism-worthy performance.

Today's performance was a marked improvement, in fact I'd argue it deserved a result. When one player stands out in such a negative context, I think its okay to comment on. So no, I don't want ''instant'', ''perfect'' football; just a competent fullback please ? 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I may be tempted if we were playing wing backs but he isn't ready defensively for playing 1st team in a back 4. 

We've played a defensive full back, that's not working out great.

I know what you're saying, but applying the handbrake isn't exactly working well either. 

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We've played a defensive full back, that's not working out great.

I know what you're saying, but applying the handbrake isn't exactly working well either. 

I don't think you can play 2 attacking full backs without a Eustace type DCM. He is a promising player but not ready to start in a back 4 IMO. Forsyth didn't have his best game and has lost some pace but was nowhere near as bad as some of the frothing at the mouth nonsense on here. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I don't think you can play 2 attacking full backs without a Eustace type DCM. He is a promising player but not ready to start in a back 4 IMO. Forsyth didn't have his best game and has lost some pace but was nowhere near as bad as some of the frothing at the mouth nonsense on here. 

But he’s the current scapegoat.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Hence why i've held my tongue, I have sympathy for the individuals that have to face social media vitriol and hate adding to it. Fozzy will always give you 100% and seems a genuinely nice bloke, a model professional in many respects. 

When discussing football though, he really frustrates me. You can just tell wingers love coming against him because he doesn't have the mobility to get close. Luton started actively targeting our left hand side, often doubling up Cornick and Mpanzu because they realised just how weak it is. 

I'm hoping the links to Baba are true because a loan for him would be quite astute. Good age, ability and fills a position where we've got 1 player past it and another not yet ready.

Not seen the game so can't comment on Forsyth performs. If as you say that Luton were doubling up on our left hand side. Then where was the support for Forsyth from our leftside midfielder?

55 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

When did Lowe stand out? How many games did people suggest Lowe was MOM or suggest he was in contention for player of the season? To suggest Lowe is this outstanding left back who was consistent and shone for us is just untrue....unless I am blind ?

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The worst player this season so far, which is some prize. I don’t think his body is up to it. Compare him today with the success Byrne was getting on the other side. 

should have been allowed to slip away with dignity yonks ago. All this season is going to do is sully his good name. 

When we’ve created absolutely nothing in all our games, he’s the worst player this season so far? Get a grip 

Let’s be balanced here. Fozzy since joining us in 2013 has had 1 bad season performance wise, yes he’s had more bad years personally missing the best part of 2.5 seasons through injury. 

His only bad season imo was under Rowett when frankly I thought he was done. This was after the second knee injury and it was painful watching him. He was clearly thinking about his knee in everything he did and it made him very very slow and cumbersome. Understandable because he came back from the first injury like nothing had happened, hit the ground running and was far and away Derby’s best player under Pearson before he did his knee against Villa. He clearly tried to protect it on his return and it affected him, he was awful

Then Lampard signed Malone and then came the resurgence of Fozzy to displace Malone, IMO the old Fozzy returned putting in some of his best displays since the Mac 1 days. Sadly injury was to strike again but under Cocu while he hasn’t hit the heights of previous seasons he’s still been solid. 

He wouldn’t have been my No 1 left back starting the season but we’ve made the decision to sell Lowe, that means it’s Fozzy and Buchanan. I think it’s a weak position for us right now but Fozzy isn’t the liability some are saying. I think Buchanan has amazing potential and selling Lowe is the best thing for his development, but I wouldn’t rule out Fozzy making the position his own again, proving people wrong as he has throughout his rams career. But he does need to do better than he is right now.

7 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Actually he did exactly that today

So sorry Red Ram, you took my hyperbole (never=very rarely) and one upped me. You know exactly what i meant. 

30 minutes ago, sage said:

I understand that viewpoint, and I'm not a rabid anti Fozzy poster either.

I slightly disagree that he's not ready though, best player in white on the pitch last night IMO, as he has been frequently over the past year, I think a couple of months fully immersed in the first team environment, hopefully including some 1st team minutes, would be more beneficial than a whole season of u-23's football.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

When did Lowe stand out? How many games did people suggest Lowe was MOM or suggest he was in contention for player of the season? To suggest Lowe is this outstanding left back who was consistent and shone for us is just untrue....unless I am blind ?

Plenty of games. He was in the running for many people’s player of the year around Christmas time, and that was when he was playing out of position at RB. Statistically he was the outstanding defensive fullback in the division. Sheffield United thought enough of him to buy him to play in the Premier League. Swear some of our fans just never took to him when he originally came into the team (when he wasn’t that great) and just won’t accept how much he Improved after his loan at Aberdeen. He was miles above Forsyth last season. Miles.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Plenty of games. He was in the running for many people’s player of the year around Christmas time, and that was when he was playing out of position at RB. Statistically he was the outstanding defensive fullback in the division. Sheffield United thought enough of him to buy him to play in the Premier League. Swear some of our fans just never took to him when he originally came into the team (when he wasn’t that great) and just won’t accept how much he Improved after his loan at Aberdeen. He was miles above Forsyth last season. Miles.

He might have looked ok at SPL level but not outstanding for us. Will just have to agree to disagree....

Archived