Team for next season?

IslandExile

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

For the same amount of appearances the red dogs got between £8-15 million in recent times for their youngsters 

And we might get offers around that mark. I'm not confident particularly with money being tight all round. 

But give it another season and it highly likely their value shoots right up. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

The problem we face next season is that Bird, Bielik and Rooney are easily in our best 11 players but very well may not fit into our best starting XI.

Bielik seems to have been forgotten a bit by people on here but he’s a sensational DM that adds a lot of physicality in midfield that we’ve been missing. And he’s still so young.

It’s mad we’ve gone from having Bradley Johnson at DM under Lampard to some of the best holding midfielders in the division in the space of about 12 months.

I don't think it's a big worry right now with fitting in Bielik purely because he isn't fit, he's not going to be fit for a while and will need to be slowly reintroduced. Also it's still him in the air where his best position is. Right now it's DM for me but I think long term he will be a CB.

Added to that Rooney is going to be phased out at some point. Might be some point this season, might be after. The problem of who plays where likely ends up resolving itself to a degree. 

But you are right about going from one extreme to the other with DMs. You didn't mention him but it's clear why Lampard wanted Shinnie. Would have improved the team immensely last year.

2 hours ago, Richard246 said:

Thinking about it Rooney most probably the best in front of the defence.

with a midfield 3 of Bird ,Sibley and Knight but that leaves no winger so not easy but would allow to play 2 up front.

As good as he has been for Derby Rooney position is the Problem.

Rooney and Bird is a Problem. 

lf you play a 2 in front of back 4 you have to look at Rooney or Bird with Either Bielik or Knight.

or play 4-1-4-1 with a new striker capable of playing that lone striker and who is quick.

Personally I would look to get money for Bogle , Lawrence , Waghorn and Holmes and Lowe  even I would consider selling Bird if the money was Right.

New

Wisdom  Te Weirk  New   New

Rooney 

New.   Knight.  Sibley     New 

New 

That is why previously I have said 6 new players some to be loans I think we need to change things and needs to be radical.

This team would be good enough for promotion. If the right recruitment is made.

I can't help but thing there is a lot wrong here. Rooney is at his best for us right now in a deeper role but part of the reason he can be effective there is having someone playing alongside him to share the responsibility on and off the ball. I'd be concerned from a defensive standpoint if he was the sole DM, I don't think he has the defensive awareness for that role or the legs to compensate.

Rooney and Bird is the problem? Rooney and Bird is the reason we even got close to the playoffs. Sure both tired in the run in and we could have used options to change it up. But there was a myriad of other, bigger issues. Honestly they are firmly the first choice pairing if we play with 2 DMs and I don't think it's even debatable until Bielik is march fit.

So you'd sell half the first team and look to replace them ? Do you not think that might be too much turnover in a shortened pre season? Also it doesn't address squad depth in key positions even slightly, which is what really crippled us these past couple of weeks. And that's before mentioning LB is probably one our strongest position in both quality and depth. It just doesn't makes sense to bring another one in right now.

Honestly I'm not convinced that team would be good enough for promotion. It relies way way too much on 7 new players gelling into the team perfectly, requires recruitment to be flawless and that midfield likely gets cut through with Rooney as the base.

Maybe this is all coming from the perspective of I don't think we need radical change but provided we have no major outgoings I really only think we need 3-4 quality additions in key areas. 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

And we might get offers around that mark. I'm not confident particularly with money being tight all round. 

But give it another season and it highly likely their value shoots right up. 

Maybe we wouldn’t get offers higher after another season, it’s all a gamble 

25 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I can't help but thing there is a lot wrong here. Rooney is at his best for us right now in a deeper role but part of the reason he can be effective there is having someone playing alongside him to share the responsibility on and off the ball. I'd be concerned from a defensive standpoint if he was the sole DM, I don't think he has the defensive awareness for that role or the legs to compensate.

Rooney and Bird is the problem? Rooney and Bird is the reason we even got close to the playoffs. Sure both tired in the run in and we could have used options to change it up. But there was a myriad of other, bigger issues. Honestly they are firmly the first choice pairing if we play with 2 DMs and I don't think it's even debatable until Bielik is march fit.

So you'd sell half the first team and look to replace them ? Do you not think that might be too much turnover in a shortened pre season? Also it doesn't address squad depth in key positions even slightly, which is what really crippled us these past couple of weeks. And that's before mentioning LB is probably one our strongest position in both quality and depth. It just doesn't makes sense to bring another one in right now.

Honestly I'm not convinced that team would be good enough for promotion. It relies way way too much on 7 new players gelling into the team perfectly, requires recruitment to be flawless and that midfield likely gets cut through with Rooney as the base.

Maybe this is all coming from the perspective of I don't think we need radical change but provided we have no major outgoings I really only think we need 3-4 quality additions in key areas. 

We needed to shut the door of others teams coming straight through the middle which we did but unfortunately most went down the sides and mainly down Bogle’s side and for example once Forsyth went off against Leeds straight through his replacements side 

20 hours ago, Jourdan said:

If we genuinely need to sell to buy, I think Sibley is the player that would attract the most interest and generate the most funds. That’s who I’d sell personally to give us the most room to manoeuvre.

If we were actively looking to sell Bogle, it would have been more logical to cash in last summer after we had just reached the play-off final and he had had a fantastic debut season.

If the consensus is that Bogle has had a poor season by his standards and the team has also gone backwards, it doesn’t put us in a position of strength if we look to sell him.

I take your point that Sibley and Bird might be worth much more in a year or two and they’d be harder to replace, but we thought the same with Barnes and Hughes and look what happened there.

We've never got good money for any young player bar Hendrick. We turn down offers and they get injured or that not as good as thought.

Sturridge 7.5 from Arsenal and we sold for 350k aftr his thigh injury. Barnes a free after changing our mind on an 8 mil West Ham offer. Hughes probably 3 mil than we could have got 18 months before. 750k for Huddlestone.  It's a gamble to hold on sometimes. Forest got maximum money as they had to sell at a youngsters promise . If they held on to Burke he wouldn't be any where near 12 mill now

40 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Maybe we wouldn’t get offers higher after another season, it’s all a gamble 

Gambling implies it's mostly luck in whether their value goes up or down and whilst it's far from certain. I think it's more likely it goes up than stagnates or goes down.

It's always going to be a balancing act knowing when to sell players at the right time and it's something we need to be good at if our core model is going to be heavily leaning on the academy.  

Right now my view is that both the future potential value of Sibley and Bird is substantially higher than an offer we'd likely receive this window. Based on limited play time and clubs being reticent to spend what with finances being tight all round. Given that I think it's worth the risk to keep a hold of them as I think it's more likely a finicially better decision in the long run.

48 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We needed to shut the door of others teams coming straight through the middle which we did but unfortunately most went down the sides and mainly down Bogle’s side and for example once Forsyth went off against Leeds straight through his replacements side 

I'm not sure what you are arguing against in my post here ? 

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Agreed. We don't need loads.

Like you said 3-4 (maybe 5 at most) quality additions

Keeper, Winger, Striker, CB (Clarke preferably) 

I'd like 2 wingers ideally.

Get that adding to what we have and we'll be fine. 

18 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Agreed. We don't need loads.

Like you said 3-4 (maybe 5 at most) quality additions

Keeper, Winger, Striker, CB (Clarke preferably) 

I'd like 2 wingers ideally.

Get that adding to what we have and we'll be fine. 

You’re talking serious coinage though for ‘three, four or five quality additions’. I’d expect three tops, only guessing, but with Dutch lad guaranteed and Bielik particularly, returning, you have two quality additions already. And watching the Marriott interview, a fully fit Jack will be something special to watch I believe, in essence a ‘new’ striker. 

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

You’re talking serious coinage though for ‘three, four or five quality additions’. I’d expect three tops, only guessing, but with Dutch lad guaranteed and Bielik particularly, returning, you have two quality additions already. And watching the Marriott interview, a fully fit Jack will be something special to watch I believe, in essence a ‘new’ striker. 

I agree mate. Even if one or two re on loan.

I think we will have to generate funds from sales too. 

I think our recruitment will come in 3 stages.

Another free transfer or two in the next few weeks

A fee or 2 paid when we have offloaded some dross and and 1 or 2 players who will fetch a fee

A loan or 2 once the PL clubs have organised their squads. 

With what we currently have:

Roos

Bogle                  Te Wierik                    Bielik                Lowe

Knight                        Rooney                Bird

Sibley                   Marriott                 Lawrence

If we are to line up similarly to how we ended this season assuming that Martin leaves and Jozefzoon isn't likely to push on for a place based on his record for us so far.

GK: New (Roos as cover)

RB: Bogle/Wisdom (Jordan Brown as cover)

RCB: Wisdom/Te Wierik (Davies as cover)

LCB: Te Wierik/Bielik (Davies/Buchanan as cover)

LB: Lowe/Forsyth (Buchanan as cover)

DM1: Rooney/Bielik (Shinnie as cover)

DM2: Bird/Shinnie (Jordan Brown as cover)

RM: New/Knight (Waghorn as cover)

CM: Sibley/Lawrence (Rooney as cover)

LM: Lawrence/New (Whittaker as cover)

FW: New(JHI?)/Waghorn (Marriott/Whittaker as cover)

We could possibly get away with as little as 3 good quality additions at GK, Midfield and Up Front. Although it might be better to aim for a couple more to ensure we have good enough cover throughout the squad so may want to invest in another defender and versatile attacker.

GK: Steffen, if true, is an exciting thought. I wouldn't be super keen on Hart, but he would be better than what we currently have.

RM/LM: Basically a speedy winger that can worry full backs. We have stuggled when Lawrence and Waghorn have been out of the team and could do with an outlet that keeps defenders pinned back and allows our full backs to push forward.

FW: If Marriott can stay fit he might do a job here, but I think Cocu likes a taller striker with a bit of pace about him. A tough ask, but hopefully the right player is available at a good price to help with this game plan. I've added JHI (Trialist) as an option, but I expect he might go out on loan for at least half a season to see how he progresses.

The extra additions in order of importance:

LCB: If Te Wierik isn't comfortable on this side (or not up to expectations in general) then we need someone here that can fill the hole left by Clarke (and Tomori the season before). Buchanan has promise, but isn't ready in my opinion.

A versatile midfielder. Someone who can fill in at various positions would be great and could help with options during games where we might seem a bit one dimensional. The kind of player we were hoping Dowell could be...

So all in all, I think we are in a much better starting place than this time last year when we lost the players that carried us through the Lampard season. Rooney faded in late season, but with a rest and maybe more of an emphasis on the coaching rather than playing I think he will have a better impact next season. My guess is that the games were so close together and he'd played a full MLS season before coming over, he probably wasn't recovering fully between games. I'd love to see our academy players all step up and some will over time, but a lot of them need some time on loan at a lower level to get used to the physical stresses.

As an absolute  priority, we need to  somehow get a top quality striker, a proper 20-25 goals a season player. It's amazing how a player like that can transform a teams fortunes, more so than any other position. Also lifts the rest of the team. Weaker areas of the team can sometimes be carried when the goals are being banged in on a regular basis. So I guess I am suggesting a Dean Saunders, Steve Howard type impact. 

1 hour ago, europia said:

As an absolute  priority, we need to  somehow get a top quality striker, a proper 20-25 goals a season player. It's amazing how a player like that can transform a teams fortunes, more so than any other position. Also lifts the rest of the team. Weaker areas of the team can sometimes be carried when the goals are being banged in on a regular basis. So I guess I am suggesting a Dean Saunders, Steve Howard type impact. 

Forget about a 20 goal a season striker...Sibley's going to bag that many from midfield ?

Archived